Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by maik »

Welcome, Scouseair and Commander_X!

I wasn't even aware that gmail addresses are banned for registration, it wasn't the case when I registered some years ago. But I'm sure a board admin will chime in soon enough to clarify.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Commander_X wrote:
... are the GMail email addresses banned here "for good" or only for the first time registration?
We had to ban some types of gmail due to spambots. If you have a specific gmail address that you'd prefer to use, we can arrange that... and welcome aboard!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

Thank you guys for the kind welcome, and the prompt replies.

It might be my username at GMail though, which has two dots in it, that triggers some kind of filter!?
I do have a specific gmail address, and I'd want it instead the one I've registered with, definitely.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Commander_X wrote:
I do have a specific gmail address, and I'd want it instead the one I've registered with, definitely.
Yeah, that type of email address can cause problems. If you PM your email of choice to Disembodied, he'll sort it out over the weekend.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Welcome, Scouseair and Commander_X. Good to meet you both. :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Scouseair
Average
Average

Post by Scouseair »

I tried to register with my main Hotmail address but that was turned down so I had to go with my ISP email. Is Hotmail banned too?
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Welcome Scouseair and Commander_X! :D
Commander_X wrote:
Glad to be able to personally give a large bow to the developers of Oolite and to the so enthusiastic members of the nicest board on this side of Riedquat.
(Returns bow as a fellow enthusiast :) )
Scouseair wrote:
Long time lurker here finally saying Hi. I first started playing Elite on the Spectrum... I accidently pressed record once instead of play and ruined my save!!!
We've got three things in common already :lol:
Scouseair wrote:
The main reason I haven't posted before is I suffer from severe depression and am not too good with strangers. But everyone here seems so friendly and I don't think I've seen a flame yet so I finally decided to pitch in and say a big thanks for helping keep me sane.
I've had quite a bit of indirect experience with depression lately and it's tough...

There are a lot of very creative people here who come up with all kinds of fun stuff and plenty of others who chip in with useful feedback or opinions. Sometimes, just someone saying they appreciate something (like you've just done) makes a difference too :)

Glad you've decided to join us :)
Knightmare wrote:
hmmm perhaps i should play some wild stallion tunes to the thargoids that are currently trying to stop me doing mission 2???
Good luck with that :lol:
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

Redspear wrote:
Welcome Scouseair and Commander_X! :D
Commander_X wrote:
Glad to be able to personally give a large bow to the developers of Oolite and to the so enthusiastic members of the nicest board on this side of Riedquat.
(Returns bow as a fellow enthusiast :) )
:oops:
Scouseair wrote:
I tried to register with my main Hotmail address but that was turned down so I had to go with my ISP email. Is Hotmail banned too?
What Cody said. Disembodied should be the key word.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day, Scouseair, and welcome aboard!
Scouseair wrote:
the first thing I installed was Oolite 1.77.1. But had to start my career over.....again. It seems I can only ever get to Deadly then something happens.
Something I found very helpful was to install Dropbox and set it to back up my oolite-saves folder. That way, if anything ever happens, all my saves are backed up online. It also comes in handy to keep saves synchronised across multiple computers.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Commander_X wrote:
Hello to everybody!
G'day, Commander_X, and welcome aboard!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Hi, Scouseair and Commander_X! Apologies for your email woes, both are due to collisions with our anti-spam defence grid ... I'm glad to see that you both made it through to the forums unscathed, in the end, and I've cleared both your individual addresses with the vicious vicious wolves which roam the premises at night ... :)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Disembodied wrote:
... the vicious vicious wolves which roam the premises at night ...
<grins> Yeah, those Cequququian wolves are indeed vicious... but very tasty!
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Scouseair wrote:
The main reason I haven't posted before is I suffer from severe depression and am not too good with strangers. But everyone here seems so friendly and I don't think I've seen a flame yet so I finally decided to pitch in and say a big thanks for helping keep me sane.
I actually discovered Oolite and the community at about the same time as my depression started. It is, as advertised, exceedingly welcoming and friendly. Occasionally there will be disagreements, but generally the are solved respectfully and politely. I found that the game and the forums helped me escape from my troubles, allowing me to de-stress and relax. While I don't really have the time to play the game any more, I retain a certain fondness for it all, and I still lurk and read all that is posted on the forums, albeit via RSS feed...
Scouseair
Average
Average

Post by Scouseair »

Thanks for the advice Diz. I should have put my save on the external hd, which didn't fail, but it didn't occur to me....sigh.

And thanks for the encouragement Mauiby.

And thanks for the welcomes all :)
bacontube
Above Average
Above Average

Post by bacontube »

Hello, again. Took a long hiatus after putting in a station or two for hyperradio. RL just got too busy. But, I'm back now. Brushing up again on how to play Oolite. Good to be back.