Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by Cholmondely »

Starhopper wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:38 pm
I'm looking to mostly trade and and do the odd mission here and there, exploring as i go, not massively into combat, but might do a bit of bounty hunting later on.

I would like to pretty up my ooniverse, but the choices are overwhelming, so I'll probably build things up slowly.
So how goes it? You've had enough time to decide which oxp's you like! What's your verdict?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
draytalon
Average
Average

Post by draytalon »

Awesome rendition of the original Bell & Braben game Elite. Have been playing this game since 1984. Also all other Elite games released. Right now i play Elite Dangerous on the VR headset, nothing like flying through space. Found this version from Nexus Forums. People was commenting on various games and Oolite was mentioned, so i hopped on over here to check it out.

Love the idea of the 'add-ons' you can download via the game menu and if there is a compatibility issue with other add-ons, it tells you it didn't load in {add-on name}
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, Commander! Plenty of old Elite heads around here.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

draytalon wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:18 pm
Awesome rendition of the original Bell & Braben game Elite. Have been playing this game since 1984. Also all other Elite games released. Right now i play Elite Dangerous on the VR headset, nothing like flying through space. Found this version from Nexus Forums. People was commenting on various games and Oolite was mentioned, so i hopped on over here to check it out.

Love the idea of the 'add-ons' you can download via the game menu and if there is a compatibility issue with other add-ons, it tells you it didn't load in {add-on name}
Welcome to the Oolite experience. Hope you enjoy it!

Do let us know if you have any problems.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Just now I've glanced at the recent entries on this thread. Observations: (1) I was unaware of the interesting-sounding 'first finance' OXP; (2) I believe that nieces and nephews and other young folk are for telling you what technology to get, and helping you to work it, but not, sadly, for paying for it. :)

As the great Douglas Adams wrote (though I'd have to chase down the reference, and this is a mere paraphrase): any technology invented before you are twenty is part of the natural order of things; any technology that makes it big when you are in your twenties is novel and exciting; anything invented once you are past forty is Against the Nature of Things and ought to be shunned and stamped upon.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Darrell wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:53 pm
Unfortunately I'm struggling to run it, despite the laptop having the spec to cope with it. I'll scan the rest of the Forum and post elsewhere. Fingers crossed I can get it sorted. :)

Darrell.
Did you sort it out?
Comments wanted:
0b1
Above Average
Above Average

Post by 0b1 »

My handle is 0b1 (pronounced either zero-bee-one, or oh-bee-one) and I have been coding since 1980

When I discovered Elite in 1984, I was blown away by the genius, and vindicated in my claims that games pushed the technology envelope more than business apps. I spent the next few decades attempting to become knowledgeable enough to build a game like Elite. Another few decades and I should be close!

In the meantime, I've worked extensively on infrastructure, business code, and the web. Somewhere along the line, JS became my go-to language, both client and server.

I believe that, with Oolite's examples to draw from, I can at least build a bucket list version of this game that runs in the browser. It's really a multi-person effort, so if anyone wants to contribute, I will accept all comers, regardless of experience level.

Remember that a browser version of this game *should* be cross-platform. There are several caveats: desktop only, using only the basic WebGL features, and latest browser support only, but it would concentrate the effort, simplify the number of languages, and remove build complexity.

Next September is Elite's 40th anniversary. It would be good to have a commemorative release before then.
Hattie_Olo
Harmless
Harmless

Post by Hattie_Olo »

Hi folks!

Awkward introduction post time—hope I'm posting this in the right place. After a hiatus I'm back to Oolite! About a decade ago I was really into it, got a dangerous (or maybe even cracked deadly? I'll have to track down the old save) rating and all. And its good to be back!

A sucker for a good space sim, I love the game, and am especially fascinated by the open source aspect to both the technical side of the game as well as the narratives and lore. Currently studying folklore so community culture stuff like that really scratches an itch for me. And well, since the social angle is really cool with this game, I figured I'd drop in to the forum! :D
Cody

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, Commander!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Hattie_Olo wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:19 pm
Hi folks!

Awkward introduction post time—hope I'm posting this in the right place. After a hiatus I'm back to Oolite! About a decade ago I was really into it, got a dangerous (or maybe even cracked deadly? I'll have to track down the old save) rating and all. And its good to be back!

A sucker for a good space sim, I love the game, and am especially fascinated by the open source aspect to both the technical side of the game as well as the narratives and lore. Currently studying folklore so community culture stuff like that really scratches an itch for me. And well, since the social angle is really cool with this game, I figured I'd drop in to the forum! :D
So how goes it? How does it compare with 10 years ago?
Comments wanted:
Darkenedroom
Poor
Poor

Post by Darkenedroom »

Hey,

Currently having an absolute blast with oolite. My elite experiences go way back to getting a brand new copy of elite for the c64 too many moons ago. Made it all the way to deadly and that took a while loading it every evening from tape! I dabbled a little with oolite what must have been about 7/8 years ago. It didn't quite grab me back then but it has with a vengeance now. The expansions are amazing adding a huge amount of depth, I have about 130 installed so far, but that'll probably increase, Galactic Navy is looking intriguing. Space and flight sims are my go to.

Currently blazing round the galaxies, not so much trading but running cargo/parcel and passenger missions, hotas in hands.

Still at deadly, but one day...
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Darkenedroom wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:04 pm
Hey,

Currently having an absolute blast with oolite. My elite experiences go way back to getting a brand new copy of elite for the c64 too many moons ago. Made it all the way to deadly and that took a while loading it every evening from tape! I dabbled a little with oolite what must have been about 7/8 years ago. It didn't quite grab me back then but it has with a vengeance now. The expansions are amazing adding a huge amount of depth, I have about 130 installed so far, but that'll probably increase, Galactic Navy is looking intriguing. Space and flight sims are my go to.

Currently blazing round the galaxies, not so much trading but running cargo/parcel and passenger missions, hotas in hands.

Still at deadly, but one day...
Good to hear you are enjoying things!

If you want to give us your hotas bindings, we can publish them for others to refer to.

If you are using Povray Planets, you might also wish to sneek a peek at Stranger's Famous Planets Overhaul (FPO).

FPO (Vetitice)

Comments wanted:
Darkenedroom
Poor
Poor

Post by Darkenedroom »

Hey, been experimenting with the planets a little while ago, had povray but after a while I went back to the standard as I think I prefer the 1.90 lighting model. But I currently have the FPO overhaul added, and the Lave/Zaonce FPO OXZ's

The hotas is a Logitech X52 pro. It's not really a complete profile but I've been using for a while, layout pdf and config file can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

The 4 axis were set directly in Oolite without problem.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Darkenedroom wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:23 am
Hey, been experimenting with the planets a little while ago, had povray but after a while I went back to the standard as I think I prefer the 1.90 lighting model. But I currently have the FPO overhaul added, and the Lave/Zaonce FPO OXZ's

The hotas is a Logitech X52 pro. It's not really a complete profile but I've been using for a while, layout pdf and config file can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

The 4 axis were set directly in Oolite without problem.
Thanks for this! I'll have a stab at deciphering your notes and take it from there!
Comments wanted:
Muffster
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Muffster »

Hello everyone!

I too started playing Elite back in the old C64 days, and have been seeking a Windows clone for what seems like forever. No idea how I missed Oolite, and man did I ever strike gold here. Beautiful graphics, so much fun to play, and even customizable to boot.

That said, major, major Kudos to the developers!

It’s obvious to me this is going to be my biggest time sink since WoW. Hours go by like minutes when I get into it, and it seems every time I sit down to play there’s something new to learn. I can see the kind folks around here surely help out with that, which is awesome as I’m beginning to accumulate a few questions that I’ll get into on the proper boards.

Anyway, it’s great to be here and a part of this outstanding experience. Thanks again! 💯