Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by Cody »

Hi, Commander McEbb here. played Elite on a C128 home computer in 1984
Welcome aboard, Commander! Old BBC Micro player here - emphasis on the old.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:29 pm
It'd be kinda nice if Svengali's BGS hyperspace and docking tunnel effects were in the core game, but a standalone OXP would suit.
Just come across this! I agree!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:46 pm
I agree!
As do I!
Coyote
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element

Post by Coyote »

¡Yo también!
¿Dónde está la cerveza?
chomwitt
Above Average
Above Average

Post by chomwitt »

Hello Commanders..

I havent starded my journey yet because i have a workman layout and i am trying to settle to
a comfortable layout by editing keyconfig.plist
Last edited by chomwitt on Mon May 10, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

chomwitt wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:14 pm
Hello Commanders..

I haven't started my journey yet because i have a workman layout and i am trying to settle to
a comfortable layout by editing keyconfig.plist
Welcome aboard! Please ask if you have any questions!

Personally, I recommend printing out OoliteRS (Reference Sheets) and AdviceforNewCommanders which came as .pdfs in your original game download.

Also, try out the tutorial which helps develop the skills needed for dog-fighting and docking. You can skip around in the tutorial to repeat bits.

As for OXPs, XenonUI gives you some on-screen reminders of what the various keyboard buttons do!
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:23 pm
As for OXPs, XenonUI gives you some on-screen reminders of what the various keyboard buttons do!
It’s worth noting that XenonUI shows you the default keys only. If you change them to something else, XenonUI won’t change what it displays.

And for the follow up question, not easily. XenonUI uses pre-rendered backgrounds to display all its info. I’d have to venture into rather tongue-twisting implementation territory to achieve full custom key config compatibility.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:40 am
Cholmondely wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:23 pm
It’s worth noting that XenonUI shows you the default keys only. If you change them to something else, XenonUI won’t change what it displays.

And for the follow up question, not easily. XenonUI uses pre-rendered backgrounds to display all its info. I’d have to venture into rather tongue-twisting implementation territory to achieve full custom key config compatibility.
But the In-game: (i) at game start, select "game options" and then select "View Keyboard Configuration" does, does it not?

From http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Keyboard_Issues: What does What: reference: Number 4

Are there any issues with it that I should mention in the wiki?
Comments wanted:
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:34 am
But the In-game: (i) at game start, select "game options" and then select "View Keyboard Configuration" does, does it not?
Yes, it always picks up the contents of keyconfig.plist.

As the the wiki page, I think it’s ok. I’m away from my PC at the moment so I can’t confirm whether there are any keys worth noting on the docked F2/F3/F4 screens. Otherwise it’s fine.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:42 am
Cholmondely wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:34 am
Yes, it always picks up the contents of keyconfig.plist.

As the the wiki page, I think it’s ok. I’m away from my PC at the moment so I can’t confirm whether there are any keys worth noting on the docked F2/F3/F4 screens. Otherwise it’s fine.
I've just updated the Keyboard Issues & your own XenonUI pages in light of this. Thank you.
Comments wanted:
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

Old Retired Commander here, re-visiting base after a few years' absence.

Interestingly enough, it seems I'll be completing 10 years of forum membership in exactly 30 days. 8)

I was just brought up from my millenary slumber due to a forum notification, the likes of which I haven't been noticing for a long time - either due to forum issues, or PEBKAC issues ... :lol:

While around, I made sure to visit the forum thread of the single add-on I have published in this forum and post some stuff there.

Cheers eveybody, take care and have fun !! :D
Gvia66000
Harmless
Harmless

Post by Gvia66000 »

Hello,
My name is Guillem, my Brother, my father, and me, played a lot of Frontier Elite 2 on Atari STe (i never understand why we had disk 2 :oops: , we never use it) we explored from Ross 154, and had licences to Van Maanen star and Ross 128, with our Eagle Mk2 with military engine. We also made a little star map with valuable trade route. And never find some legal system who clammily export some of the illegals items Nerv Gaz... We like to complete transport missions, and hated pirates. :evil:

I would like to open an account to share my trade map in the wiki, but i can send it if it's easier.
I didn't play Oolite yet (i think i need a commented video to understand it), i tried Elite Dangerous but it was impossible to pilot.

Thank for the reading. :wink:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, Commander! See here for some basic tips on starting to play Oolite.
There is also an in-game tutorial, accessed from the Start New Commander menu.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Gvia66000 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:16 pm
Hello,
My name is Guillem, my Brother, my father, and me, played a lot of Frontier Elite 2 on Atari STe (i never understand why we had disk 2 :oops: , we never use it) we explored from Ross 154, and had licences to Van Maanen star and Ross 128, with our Eagle Mk2 with military engine. We also made a little star map with valuable trade route. And never find some legal system who clammily export some of the illegals items Nerv Gaz... We like to complete transport missions, and hated pirates. :evil:

I would like to open an account to share my trade map in the wiki, but i can send it if it's easier.
I didn't play Oolite yet (i think i need a commented video to understand it), i tried Elite Dangerous but it was impossible to pilot.

Thank for the reading. :wink:
Hello! I never played Frontier, but have done some work on the Frontier & FFE pages in our wiki. Please let me know if I made any mistakes!

Personally I found the OoliteRS.pdf (Oolite Reference Sheets) which come with the game download absolutely invaluable in learning the game. Those and the in-game tutorial (as Cody mentions above).

Enjoy!
Comments wanted:
Cpt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cpt »

Docking computer malfunction...

Write on Commander...
Last edited by Cpt on Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oolite is Ooheavy... Cpt says "Write on Commander"
<<My other spaceship is a Thargoid Pathfinder, from the wrong side of Riedquat >>