Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by Disembodied »

Welcome back! You've still not solved that Rubik's cube, I see … :)
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Disembodied wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:59 am
Welcome back! You've still not solved that Rubik's cube, I see … :)
Hah! That particular cube is exactly 8 moves away from being solved! (Assuming that the solved state corresponds to each individual side having its own unique colour. Also, some cubists might class it as being 4 slice moves from being solved, rather than side turns.)

The problem with being away for a while is that you all keep busy updating and adding new OXPs and features. Am now looking at each OXP in the manager (I'll look at ones not in the manager and in my old game folder later), which is a nifty feature indeed, and reading its wiki/forum thread to see if I want it or not, and if it fits into how I envision my Ooniverse. Once I've done that, I suspect I'll want to have a look at the role weights of all the ships/stations and consider tweaking them to make some things rarer and some more frequent than others. One wonders if I'll actually get around to playing the game itself!
boroboy6872
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by boroboy6872 »

Hello

Installed Oolite the other day and have been researching the gameplay since.

Always felt intimidated by the controls, all the way back to when I played it on the ZX spectrum rubber keyboard with the paper/card template.

Only just started off a new commander and currently bouncing between Diso and Leesti.

Got extra cargo, and injectors with docking comp to save time, although I don`t think it`s needed.

Anyway loving the kick back it`s given me to my childhood playing this and I`m already hooked again.

Not looking to add any expansions at the moment, just want to play as I did back in the day, save the graphics.

Biggest tip I`ve taken from these pages is the corkscrew action when getting attacked.......wish i`d figured that out back in the 80s.......would have saved a lot of grief........and would probably have put me at hero status with my then friends who also played.

Thanks for having me.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, Commander!
boroboy6872 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:03 pm
... docking comp to save time...
Docking manually saves in-game time - but be sure to get clearance.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Welcome boroboy :)

Diso and Leesti: good choice, especially with injectors.

Fellow Spectrum veteran here. I actually really liked the missile launch sound on the speccy, the flickery suns and even the explosions; badly needed more ship variety though...

Anyway, hope you like it here and don't be shy if you have any questions.
BlackWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by BlackWolf »

Chello all. Let me start with this.
My first experience was with Elite Dangerous, loved the game, but I am currently living off grid in the woods down in Texas. I have no internet other than phone and had to sell my gaming computer. So now I'm left with my MacBook. I have to say thank you. Thank you so much for this game. I can play offline anytime, and because of the OXZ's I have a game that is mine, the way I want it to be. Thank you so much.
You guys have brought deep space adventures back into my life out here in the woodlands of Texas. Props to the developers and OXZ creators.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Welcome aboard, commander! You fly safe out there in the black!
Cody

Post by Cody »

BlackWolf wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:47 am
I am currently living off grid in the woods down in Texas.
From deep in the heart of Texas...
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
boroboy6872
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by boroboy6872 »

Redspear wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:50 pm
Welcome boroboy :)

Diso and Leesti: good choice, especially with injectors.

Fellow Spectrum veteran here. I actually really liked the missile launch sound on the speccy, the flickery suns and even the explosions; badly needed more ship variety though...

Anyway, hope you like it here and don't be shy if you have any questions.
Thank you

Loved the Spectrum game and back then I was amazed by the visuals and couldn`t get my head round just how huge the game was......but after being owned by Thargoids on a daily basis and not knowing why eventually stopped me playing.......add the lack of patience of an early teenager I never got to enjoy it on the other systems.

I am so glad that I have found this version.

I have moved on from Diso/Leesti now to a more challenging Ararus, Poor Agriculture Anarchy planet to Ensoreus, Rich Industrial Corporate planet, running computer one way and furs back, whilst skimming the sun to keep me out of the trade corridor.

The Cobra MkIII has had a couple of additions since my last post and now includes Heat shields and the ECM system.
Soon I`ll be adding the military laser to the aft so I can run and gun.

Got attacked by a government convoy the other day for getting to close whilst out running a pirate but managed to outpace the lot of them with the injectors.

Still loving it
DataPacRat
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by DataPacRat »

Yet another new poster, first computers were a Vic 20 and a Commodore 64, have occasionally played with Oolite for years, am now about to try to get a wireless joystick-controller working with Fedora Linux. (And maybe a wireless numberpad I've got here, too, to help save my poor Thinkpad's keyboard.)

I'm also hoping to look into what it would take to arrange for a new skin of an existing ship - my own artistic skills are worse-than-stick-figure, but I'd gain some happiness from playing with a non-ironic sugarbowl repaint of the "Dark" Rainbow.
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Welcome aboard, commander! I’m also a former VIC-20 and C64 owner - you’ll find quite a lot of us here actually, particularly C64 owners.
BlackWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by BlackWolf »

Chello DataRatPac.
PM me if you need an artist to help with the skin. I can't model but I can do textures.
Creativity is a gift, use it well.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

phkb wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:02 pm
I’m also a former VIC-20 and C64 owner - you’ll find quite a lot of us here actually, particularly C64 owners.

Guilty as charged, your honour.. :mrgreen:
Taught myself to program on a VIC-20, and when I got a C64, Elite was the very first game played on it!

G'day and welcome to all our recent new members!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

Well, commanders, I am from Russian region of Ooniverse.
I was attracted by Elite in early 90’s, then I has Spectrum +2. Since middle of 90’s I am Mac user, so Elite sequels, Privateer etc was not part of my game experience. It was very funny to find Open GL reincarnation (it was Oolite 1.65 as far as I remember), but my game interests were hardly shifted to flight sims at these times. Really I discover Oolite for myself only in 2011 and regularly playing from version 1.76.
Damn, this is really cool sandbox! Now I am active member of Russian Oolite community and has some OXPs. I was starting to write OXPs for myself and for my friends in Russian community but I hope some of my work will be appreciated and became part of joint work that makes Oolite such amazing project.
My other interests in real reality are amateur astronomy, tourism, photography and flights. I was pilot of hang glider in past, but now I am learning to fly real glider.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Hi stranger, welcome aboard. You are the same stranger from roolite.org, right? Good to have you here.