Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by UK_Eliter »

Zorblax wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:45 pm
(ok, the will of Giles if you prefer)
Certainly you have got the hang of the local nonsense lingo!
Zorblax
Poor
Poor

Post by Zorblax »

I like to think I'm a quick study!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Zorblax wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:45 pm
ETA: well, boo. Every time I try to change the first growth rate, the game resets it to zero. :cry:
Any joys yet?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Zorblax
Poor
Poor

Post by Zorblax »

Nope. I started up a new game and tried everything, to no avail. I suspect that the trumble stuff in the save file is just a snapshot of its behaviour at the instant of save, but that changes in behaviour are hard coded in the game. I did my usual hundred-odd jumps with one trumble and a cargo hold full of food but it never reproduced. Bbqd it in the end. :cry:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Zorblax wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:20 am
Nope. I started up a new game and tried everything, to no avail. I suspect that the trumble stuff in the save file is just a snapshot of its behaviour at the instant of save, but that changes in behaviour are hard coded in the game. I did my usual hundred-odd jumps with one trumble and a cargo hold full of food but it never reproduced. Bbqd it in the end. :cry:
It was probably too aged to reproduce any more.

You probably did your single solitary Trumble a great service by putting it out of its misery... bouncing around your cockpit all alone in a state of demoralised depression, nibbling unenthusiastically at your cargo without any hope of a future as head of its own clan, peering myopically out of your viewscreens with no destiny to look forwards to...
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Brassmonkeys
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Brassmonkeys »

Hello Oolite users!

I have had a great time playing Oolite for the last few years.
Really happy to see it's going stronger than ever!

Looking forward to sharing time & Oolite queries with you.

Cheers
Brassmonkeys
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Welcome Brassmonkeys! Super happy Oolite has been giving you so much enjoyment. Feel free to ask anything. About Oolite, obviously. Probably can't answer *every* question.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Welcome indeed. Glad you're enjoying it.

Don't let the occasional 'grumble' here put you off, it's mostly folks just trying to squeeze a little more out of a game they already love :)
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Brassmonkeys wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:39 am
Hello Oolite users!

I have had a great time playing Oolite for the last few years.
Really happy to see it's going stronger than ever!

Looking forward to sharing time & Oolite queries with you.

Cheers
Brassmonkeys
Salutations!

Welcome to the boards...

Looking forwards to sharing with you too!
Comments wanted:
Brassmonkeys
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Brassmonkeys »

Thanks very much phkb!
phkb wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:20 am
Welcome Brassmonkeys! Super happy Oolite has been giving you so much enjoyment. Feel free to ask anything. About Oolite, obviously. Probably can't answer *every* question.
Brassmonkeys
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Brassmonkeys »

Thanks Redspear,
I'll keep that in mind :D

Redspear wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:32 pm
Welcome indeed. Glad you're enjoying it.

Don't let the occasional 'grumble' here put you off, it's mostly folks just trying to squeeze a little more out of a game they already love :)
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:15 pm
As for E:D, the old-timers here are the people who stayed with Oolite and avoided it (maybe after dabbling in it for a bit). There was a major outflow of community members to it when it started up, few have returned (and many seem to have since moved on to other things - such as Drew, JazHaz, Selezen, etc).
I think it's maybe time to RE-introduce myself... ;-)

Yes, I betrayed my Oolite roots and slid over to ED for a long time. It said somewhere that some of us dropped out of ED as well due to negativity about some of the changes in direction on that game, and it's largely true but for me it's a lot deeper. My experience with ED was a rollercoaster that ended with some pretty bad stuff. No melodrama here, suffice to say that I dropped out of every online community for a long time. 4 years so far. Stopped gaming, stopped streaming, stopped doing the YouTubes, stopped social media. Everything.

The only online social thing I really still look at occasionally is this place. It's still my favourite ever "forum". Still as friendly as it was almost 20 years ago. Never change, guys :D

My real reason for kind of avoiding things that involve time and effort these days is that the Real Life (tm) situation is pretty full on - since Covid struck I got a new job, my wife's disabilities escalated through the roof and my own health has been pretty shaky especially since actually getting Covid last year. Significantly from a gaming point of view I discovered Space Engineers in 2021, which was straight away a game that let me do all the things I wanted to do in Elite Dangerous from getting real space legs to being able to wander around the interior of a ship - as well as design my own ships and interiors. To me it's like LEGO and Elite got drunk and had a secret baby.

It was actually Space Engineers that brought me back here. I just finished building an Adder (Elite style) in SE and was looking to start on a Krait so was checking the dimensions. Obviously the Wiki was the only appropriate destination, and the Oolite Krait was still as gorgeous as it was back when Griff revealled it so I started wondering how everyone was doing.

I had a look through some old threads then did the obvious egotistical thing and searched for my name... I've resurrectd a couple of old threads with (hopefully) some useful and relevant commentary.

I'm gonna try and hang around for a while longer this time - hopefully for the foreseeable future. I've truly missed the cameraderie and friendships I made on this board. A lot's happened since those pre-ED days, so I probably have a LOT to catch up on! Message me or whatever if there's anything you want to know about old or new stuff...