Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Elusive big contracts

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Arch Stanton
Average
Average

Elusive big contracts

Post by Arch Stanton »

Hi folks, I've been playing a while now, in a decent ship and am the most renowned cargo contractor in the galaxy or somesuch...but having real trouble figuring the reasoning behind the gem/gold/platinum contracts.

I've done a couple of them for muuuuuch gain, but they seem very sporadic. Reading around the forum some people seem to see them reliably but I'm only seeing them rarely, how often do they come up? Trying to garner the pennies for a meatier ship!

Thanks in advance, I've seen a few threads on searching about this but couldn't find an explanation that sunk into my thick skull!
JeX
Competent
Competent

Re: Elusive big contracts

Post by JeX »

As I understand this, these big contracts only pop up as your reputation as a cargo freighter increases due to succesful contracts. Your reputation however, will also decrease between each jump much akin to your wanted rating. This may explain why you find them only to pop up sporadically. Do you take a lot of contracts across the galaxy involving many jumps but only contract at a time? If so I assume that your reputation will decrease more rapidly than say, taking on several smaller and shorter cargo contracts.

I have just gotten to these lucrative contracts myself (although I severely lack the money to buy into the really expensive ones) in my Serpent Class Cruiser but I will go to the main station to sell regular cargo and take on short cargo contracts that are on the way as well to hinder my rep to decrease too much.

Btw: where do you see how high your reputation is?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

JeX wrote:
You need the [wiki]Display reputation OXP[/wiki].
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Disembodied wrote:
JeX wrote:
Or if you need to know your darkside reputation, [EliteWiki] Bounty Display is cool.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

How often elusive big contracts come up also depends on which Oolite version you're running. A major change was done in v1.77 that may make them slightly more likely but far more costly to start.
JeX
Competent
Competent

Post by JeX »

Disembodied wrote:
JeX wrote:
Ah great, thanks! I somehow overlooked this and had only the bounty rep installed :D
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

Switeck wrote:
How often elusive big contracts come up also depends on which Oolite version you're running. A major change was done in v1.77 that may make them slightly more likely but far more costly to start.
Just slogged my way to top cargo rating in a python (so sloooow), and....still don't see any of the big money hauls yet. Guess I'll keep on checking, but those long hauls are pointless since you lose more rep than you gain with the one contract. A python just can't hold enough to do multiple contracts most of the time. Sigh. Many more hauls left before I can get back my beloved and iron assed Cobra MkIII and keep on bounty hunting.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Almost required reading:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 63#p161763 Cargo Contract Cruelty
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

Bogatyr wrote:
Switeck wrote:
Just slogged my way to top cargo rating in a python (so sloooow), and....still don't see any of the big money hauls yet. Guess I'll keep on checking, but those long hauls are pointless since you lose more rep than you gain with the one contract. A python just can't hold enough to do multiple contracts most of the time. Sigh. Many more hauls left before I can get back my beloved and iron assed Cobra MkIII and keep on bounty hunting.
Never mind I see them now. Yep, looky at all those kewl high end contracts .... which I can't afford! Ya need money to make money....
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

Bogatyr wrote:
Never mind I see them now. Yep, looky at all those kewl high end contracts .... which I can't afford! Ya need money to make money....
Well I decided to stick with the Python and just multi-task doing other RL things (except when pirates attack :) ) with schlepping stuff around in order to get / keep the big money deals, And I finally got overlapping deals along the same route so I can keep the reputation at max, and got precious metals/gems deals going. If I can keep this up I'll switch back to the Cobra MkIII and mix in bounty hunting with the cargo schlepping.

I also now have totally dropped all unnecessary jumps. These big money deals, some of them, give very generous time limits so you can keep several going at the same time. Saving time is not nearly as important as preserving reputation, and minimizing total # of jumps seems to be the key there.

CmdrLuke (Bogatyr)
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

Bogatyr wrote:
Bogatyr wrote:
Well I decided to stick with the Python and just multi-task doing other RL things (except when pirates attack :) ) with schlepping stuff around in order to get / keep the big money deals, And I finally got overlapping deals along the same route so I can keep the reputation at max, and got precious metals/gems deals going. If I can keep this up I'll switch back to the Cobra MkIII and mix in bounty hunting with the cargo schlepping.

I also now have totally dropped all unnecessary jumps. These big money deals, some of them, give very generous time limits so you can keep several going at the same time. Saving time is not nearly as important as preserving reputation, and minimizing total # of jumps seems to be the key there.

CmdrLuke (Bogatyr)
I finally had achieved the perfect cargo racket -- got to top cargo reputation with the python, generated enough cash to switch back to a fully loaded Cobra, and switched back to the Cobra at a station where there was a gold/gems contract available. I kept multiple gem/metals contracts going with the comfort and speed (and fighting ability) of the Cobra. Then I did something stupid. I was lacking only the Military Shield Enhancement. I had two contracts going with LOTS of time on them, 10-15 days of time left. But the stupid slow mechanics ate up all my time and I ended up failing the contracts. Ah well think I'll stick to bounty hunting and missions for a while, until I can afford a faster, better hauling vessel than the Python
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

The more expensive a piece of kit, the longer it takes to fit, and repair.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Bogatyr wrote:
I finally had achieved the perfect cargo racket -- got to top cargo reputation with the python, generated enough cash to switch back to a fully loaded Cobra, and switched back to the Cobra at a station where there was a gold/gems contract available. I kept multiple gem/metals contracts going with the comfort and speed (and fighting ability) of the Cobra. Then I did something stupid. I was lacking only the Military Shield Enhancement. I had two contracts going with LOTS of time on them, 10-15 days of time left. But the stupid slow mechanics ate up all my time and I ended up failing the contracts. Ah well think I'll stick to bounty hunting and missions for a while, until I can afford a faster, better hauling vessel than the Python
Top cargo reputation is not hard to attain in a Cobra MkIII.. I've done it several times. It just takes a little more effort to find contracts that will fit in a 35TC hold.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

Bogatyr wrote:
until I can afford a faster, better hauling vessel than the Python
The Boa Class Cruiser is one hell of a hauling vessel.
Master of Mayhem

"The name's derived from Object Oriented eLite so you could say "Oh! Oh! Leet!", but that might sound too much like g33k sex."
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

Mad Dan Eccles wrote:
Bogatyr wrote:
until I can afford a faster, better hauling vessel than the Python
The Boa Class Cruiser is one hell of a hauling vessel.
So is the Anaconda... though to some it's probably a "hell of a hauling vessel" in a rather different sense :-)
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."