[Release] Satellites OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JeX
Competent
Competent

Re: [Release] Satellites OXP

Post by JeX »

Pleb wrote:
JeX wrote:
Seriously, with this speed of OXPs being released, Oolite is soon going to be the most superior spacesims ever.
I thought it already was? 8)
Bleh, obviously. :?

I think I meant that if potential newcomers would simply look at the ambience of the game with those OXPs they will realise just how amazing it really is!
Dr.Tripsa
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Dr.Tripsa »

You know I had a thought about these last night, in Communist , Dictatorships, and Corporate state (all the Big Brother) systems, these could apply fines when they hear a distress signal... effectively extending station area to planet sized.

It would also give reason for these to show up on advanced compass...

I'll play with it a bit and if you like I can post my changes here (though I don't expect they will be much )
No, I'm not a Trumble... that's a speciest and offensive remark!
~munch~
What?.... I'm hungry.
Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rorschachhamster »

I'd love to see that. Thought about at least fines for shooting one down... :wink: but I'm head over heels into the freighttrains atM... :lol:
Do your worst! :D
Dr.Tripsa
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Dr.Tripsa »

Rorschachhamster wrote:
I'd love to see that. Thought about at least fines for shooting one down... :wink: but I'm head over heels into the freighttrains atM... :lol:
Do your worst! :D
Turning them into the space equivalent of highway speed cameras turns out to be really easy! Just borrowed and adapted AI from the police interceptor. "markTargetForOffence" takes a bitwize value to OR to the targets legal status, in this way shooting down a sat is "twice" as bad as being the cause of a distress call.

Code: Select all

ORBIT_PLANET = {
	 UPDATE = ("sendScriptMessage: OrbitSatellite", "setDesiredRangeTo: 500.0", setDestinationFromCoordinates, performFlyToRangeFromDestination, "pauseAI: 1");
	 "ACCEPT_DISTRESS_CALL" = (setTargetToFoundTarget,  "markTargetForOffence: 1");
          ATTACKED = (setTargetToPrimaryAggressor,  "markTargetForOffence: 2"); 
     }; 
Edit:
to receive the Distress call you will need to change the scan-class in the shipdata.plist

"scan_class" = "CLASS_POLICE";

this will also make pirates target the sats!

Edit 2:

This will make them mass lock ships, however given how close sats are to the planet this is unlikely to be an issue , the planet will have mass locked them first!

Edit 3. You can actually mix and match these, leaving the scan class of all but the spy sat as is... that way only the spy sat can report on attacks.. spy-ish-ly.. while all can report on being attacked.
~munch~
What?.... I'm hungry.
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Rorschachhamster - I've just downloaded this OXP and am looking forward to seeing these satelites in game. :D

One thing that may be of interest to you when putting your OXPs together is a free item of software called Optipng which reduces the size of texture files without any loss of quality.

As an example I ran your RShubble texture which is 1.13MB in the OXP and the software managed to reduce it in size to 808k.

Great work by the way. :wink:
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Dr.Tripsa wrote:
Turning them into the space equivalent of highway speed cameras turns out to be really easy! Just borrowed and adapted AI from the police interceptor. "markTargetForOffence" takes a bitwize value to OR to the targets legal status, in this way shooting down a sat is "twice" as bad as being the cause of a distress call.

ORBIT_PLANET = {
	 UPDATE = ("sendScriptMessage: OrbitSatellite", "setDesiredRangeTo: 500.0", setDestinationFromCoordinates, performFlyToRangeFromDestination, "pauseAI: 1");
	 "ACCEPT_DISTRESS_CALL" = (setTargetToFoundTarget,  "markTargetForOffence: 1");
          ATTACKED = (setTargetToPrimaryAggressor,  "markTargetForOffence: 2"); 
     }; 
Edit:
to receive the Distress call you will need to change the scan-class in the shipdata.plist

"scan_class" = "CLASS_POLICE";

this will also make pirates target the sats!

Edit 2:

This will make them mass lock ships, however given how close sats are to the planet this is unlikely to be an issue , the planet will have mass locked them first!

Edit 3. You can actually mix and match these, leaving the scan class of all but the spy sat as is... that way only the spy sat can report on attacks.. spy-ish-ly.. while all can report on being attacked.
I will implement this tomorrow (And make the class of the spy-sat to police, but the radar flag grey as the others :twisted:). Oh, if I'm still coherent enough after being frustrated by stupid vectors and AIs and things... :? :lol:
Shipbuilder wrote:
Rorschachhamster - I've just downloaded this OXP and am looking forward to seeing these satelites in game. :D

One thing that may be of interest to you when putting your OXPs together is a free item of software called Optipng which reduces the size of texture files without any loss of quality.

As an example I ran your RShubble texture which is 1.13MB in the OXP and the software managed to reduce it in size to 808k.

Great work by the way. :wink:

Oh, thanks, and that's a great tip. Have to look it up! :D

EDIT: DOS COMMAND LINE? :roll: Well, at least I'm old enough to still know how that works. :wink: :D
Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Version 1.04 is up!

Just got fined for shooting at a surveillance satellite! :D

And that Optipng is really great. After you have the directory right... :roll: :lol:

EDIT: Ah, but giving them a police role... can't they get spawned by the game at random? :?
Well, they would still fly to the orbit and start orbiting. Would be funny to see one spawn at a outlying station and drop to the correct height. :wink:
Dr.Tripsa
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Dr.Tripsa »

Thrilled this is working :)

scan_class is not quite the same as role, you haven't changed the actual role (and I believe do not need to) so there's no need to worry about the main station spitting out new ones. Admittedly that might be a pretty impressive sight if it did periodically.
~munch~
What?.... I'm hungry.
Hans Olo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hans Olo »

Looks like an awesome OXP! But do they jam the jump drive?
Dr.Tripsa
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Dr.Tripsa »

Hans Olo wrote:
Looks like an awesome OXP! But do they jam the jump drive?
only those with SCAN_CLASS police and they orbit close enough to the planet that well, you'd be mass locked already.
~munch~
What?.... I'm hungry.
Commander Wilmot
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Commander Wilmot »

Might be neat if there was a chance of some patrolling (more like floating in at certain points) the witchspace lane, if you could work out a way to avoid them masslocking, then they could work like police/fire department call boxes that used to be popular before home phones (not like the Tardis (where it serves as a waypoint for policemen to contact the station,) but like the ones on posts that had a direct line to the fire (or police) station for citizens to call in an incident.) If a distress signal is transmitted in sensor range of scanner or maybe if a Thagroid enters sensor range (which is what the planetary ones already do,) then a viper or viper interceptor launches from the main station and heads to the beacon as quick as possible.
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

That looks about awesome! *downloads*
Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Commander Wilmot wrote:
Might be neat if there was a chance of some patrolling (more like floating in at certain points) the witchspace lane, if you could work out a way to avoid them masslocking, then they could work like police/fire department call boxes that used to be popular before home phones (not like the Tardis (where it serves as a waypoint for policemen to contact the station,) but like the ones on posts that had a direct line to the fire (or police) station for citizens to call in an incident.) If a distress signal is transmitted in sensor range of scanner or maybe if a Thagroid enters sensor range (which is what the planetary ones already do,) then a viper or viper interceptor launches from the main station and heads to the beacon as quick as possible.
It's a little tricky to make them not mass-lock and work as police... have to look into that... thanks for the feedback and idea. :wink:
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

While playing in G4, I discovered a bug in this oxp. When I entered a nova system, this oxp completely spammed my log about a missing main planet. It seems that this oxp misses a check for nova systems. (Or just the presence of a main planet)

[script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (System Demux 1.0 1.0): TypeError: system.mainPlanet is null
[script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (satellite.js 1.00): TypeError: system.mainPlanet is null
[script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (satellite.js 1.00): TypeError: system.mainPlanet is null
Version 1.04, that I just downloaded, has the same error. On top of that, the script still has version 1.00. :roll:
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Think Rorschachhamster hasn't been back since his last message in May.