Aliens OXZ

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: [RELEASE] Aliens OXP

Post by Smivs »

<nods>
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

Commander McLane wrote:
If there is no police ship (and you're also not in the safe zone around a main station)
This reminds of a strategy [edit: for pirate-hunting], which I'm going to modestly call "The Grant Manoeuvre", that I stumbled across yesterday.

Unfortunately this margin is too small to contain a full description. I shall publish elsewhere.
Master of Mayhem

"The name's derived from Object Oriented eLite so you could say "Oh! Oh! Leet!", but that might sound too much like g33k sex."
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Mad Dan Eccles wrote:
Unfortunately this margin is too small to contain a full description. I shall publish elsewhere.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

A nice nod to Fermat :D
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Aliens OXP

Post by Smivs »

Aliens is now available as a .oxz for v1.79 :)
cim is kindly adding it to the index, and it can also be downloaded directly from

http://www.smivsonline.co.uk/oolite_oxz ... s_v1.1.zip

This was a 'proof of concept' for me just to make sure I've understood the new mechanism, so assuming all is well I'll get to converting more of my OXPs over the next few days.

Edited to add:- OK, it seems that this is not currently working :roll: Watch this space. Working OK now - link above changed to current correct one.
Last edited by Smivs on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

cim may not have updated his master-list-index of OXZ files yet..

Incidentally, I finally spotted my first sun-skimmer alien the other day.. 8) :D 'tis not easy to get a good look at those babies in the glare from the sun!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

The problem is that the .oxz does not seem to be recognized - the url is returning a 404 page not found. The same file with a .zip extension (in the same directory on my site) is downloadable. It's a bit puzzling at the moment but I am in touch with cim via PM and I hope we can sort it out.

Glad you spotted an Odonatean. I've found the the best view is if you can get alongside one (but not too close) and fly along with it for a while. Did you follow it till it jumped? You'll need nerves of duralium to do that :)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Smivs wrote:
The problem is that the .oxz does not seem to be recognized - the url is returning a 404 page not found. The same file with a .zip extension (in the same directory on my site) is downloadable. It's a bit puzzling at the moment but I am in touch with cim via PM and I hope we can sort it out.
Strange.. I don't know how your web-hosting situation is set up, but to get mine to work, I had to make a not-entirely-logical change to the URL.. the actual OXZ storage location is http://s248731467.onlinehome.us/Oolite/Q-Bomb_Detector_1.3.oxz but to avoid a 404 error, I had to remove the /Oolite prefix, so that the URL to download from is http://s248731467.onlinehome.us/Q-Bomb_Detector_1.3.oxz. If your OXZ is stored in a sub-folder, this may be what's tripping you up. (But then, I had to do the same thing with the downloadable zipped collections of the vector maps for the Wiki, whereas you say zips work fine with the URL as-is, so maybe it's not a prefix issue in your case.)

Smivs wrote:
Glad you spotted an Odonatean. I've found the the best view is if you can get alongside one (but not too close) and fly along with it for a while. Did you follow it till it jumped? You'll need nerves of duralium to do that :)
That's more or less what I did.. got a few not-bad screenshots.. and I tried to follow it till jump, but the rate my temperature was climbing at, I didn't think I'd last that long! :lol:

Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I see you were able to solve the OXZ download problem.. as I was able to successfully install it today.. what was it you did that got it working for you?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

This was an unexpected problem. It seems that my hosting provider's server can only handle 'recognized' file extensions for download so a .oxz file was not recognized. However the oxz manager apparently can accept a .zip and still recognize and handle it as a .oxz, so I simply made it available as a .zip :)
Glad to hear it's all working though.

Now, on to the the rest of my portfolio.....
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Smivs wrote:
This was an unexpected problem. It seems that my hosting provider's server can only handle 'recognized' file extensions for download so a .oxz file was not recognized. However the oxz manager apparently can accept a .zip and still recognize and handle it as a .oxz, so I simply made it available as a .zip :)
Glad to hear it's all working though.

Now, on to the the rest of my portfolio.....
Yes, this works, but you need to change your link above to use the zip extension:

Code: Select all

http://www.smivsonline.co.uk/oolite_oxzs/Aliens_v1.1.zip
Did it manually, and it worked.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Oops! Thanks for the reminder. Done now.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Smivs wrote:
It seems that my hosting provider's server can only handle 'recognized' file extensions for download so a .oxz file was not recognized.
Ok.. good to know, in case others run into the same problem.. a thought though.. with some hosting services, the customer themselves can specify which file-types are permissible from their hosting control panel.. you may find it worth a look around your CP to see if you can add .oxz as a file-type yourself.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Aliens OXZ size is reported as <1kB while the download size is ~24MB. :?

EDIT:
It seems that there are more... reporting this internally. :!:
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Yes, if it's any help a quick look through the manifest.plists on the manager suggests that many/all the filesizes are wrong/broken.
Aliens is actually 25.1MB.