Aliens OXZ

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] Aliens OXP

Post by GGShinobi »

Smivs wrote:
I don't have Cylons in my Ooniverse - let us know how things go if they do meet.
I certainly will! :D
忍 knowing that enough is enough, you'll always have enough.

Running Oolite 1.77 on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Good lord, cylons?

Ah yes, cylons!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

UK_Eliter wrote:
Good lord, cylons?

Ah yes, cylons!
Don't forget your Colonial Viper!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

100 downloads :D
Has anybody seen one yet?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Nope.. but I haven't been flying much lately..

(and congratulations!)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rorschachhamster »

Yes, I have one of the scavening ones... :lol: At least that was what it did. :D Nice effect with the changing colors. The lowermost in the pic.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

That's good!
Yes, they are called the Kephalan, and as you deduced they are scavengers/treasure hunters. They are a peaceful race who will fight back (a bit) and look rather angry if attacked, but are just as likely to simply run away from trouble.
JeX
Competent
Competent

Post by JeX »

I ran into an alien very close to the sun, but as my ship was badly damaged,leaked witchdrive fuel, I had a fugitive status and hadn't saved since 5 systems away, I cowardly decided not to engage it and simply reloaded my fuel tanks through scooping and leaving the system instead... :)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

You could have followed it - it was near the sun to sunskim then it would have jumped elewhere. The Odonateans are an enigmatic race, travellers who go from system to system doing, well, whatever it is they do. 8)
Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rorschachhamster »

8) Just yesterday I met another Kephalan. :D

Oh, and it's fun to muse about what exactly is an "Alien" where you meet blue furred frogs as regular blokes... :wink:
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Rorschachhamster wrote:
Oh, and it's fun to muse about what exactly is an "Alien" where you meet blue furred frogs as regular blokes... :wink:
Yes, I know what you mean :wink: I suppose a lot of it is what we know and don't know about other races, and whether we have anything in common with them, such as the ability to co-operate and communicate.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

A friendly Alien was helping me whomp a few Thargoids in Witchspace so I'd thought to get into coms range (a bit closer) to say thank you (and get a closer look).

They are not big on gratitude and dislike adulation and company it seems as it fired a few warning shots at me .

I turned around and as I flew away (though it did not give chase)the Alien craft continued to shoot at me.

However despite it's anti social temperament it remained clean and not offender. When I fire on clean ships I get to be an offender immediately. This particular rule seems not to apply to an Alien, I considered returning fire but worried having taught the anti social alien a lesson my legal status might have affected. As a result I declined an engagement with a vessel that was firing on me which seemed a bit unfair.

Unless of course engaging a hostile clean vessel while being myself clean will not affect my legal status.

Confusing I know.. :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Duggan wrote:
However despite it's anti social temperament it remained clean and not offender. When I fire on clean ships I get to be an offender immediately.
No, you don't.

The rule is very simple, and it's the same for everybody in the Ooniverse: it's the police who mark offenders as offenders. This means they need to watch the offence taking place. Police in the Ooniverse are not psychics. They need to be there in order to watch offences. So, if a police ship is in scanner range, your (or anybody else's) offence will be noted and marked. If there is no police ship (and you're also not in the safe zone around a main station), how will the police know what has happened? They won't. Thus nobody can get marked for anything. It's really quite simple.
Duggan wrote:
Unless of course engaging a hostile clean vessel while being myself clean will not affect my legal status.
Of course you can always defend yourself against an attacker. Again, if there's no police nearby, it doesn't matter anyway. If you're attacked by a clean ship while the police are watching, you'll have to wait until the attacker actually hits you. At that very instant he's going to be marked as offender, and can safely be shot at.

You can always shoot at offenders and fugitives without legal repercussions.

Confusion cleared? :wink:
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Thank you Commander McLane for clearing that up for me.

There was one incidence of indignance on my part some time ago, now I come to think of it , when a clean Cobra swooped in and nicked my cargo container just in front of my scoops.

I thought to myself "cheeky beggar", so I accidentally on purpose (as you do) warmed the Cobra up a bit to reclaim what I felt was rightfully mine , having done the hard work to liberate the container in the first place. In that instance . as I recall I did remain clean.

Thanks again :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Duggan wrote:
A friendly Alien was helping me whomp a few Thargoids in Witchspace so I'd thought to get into coms range (a bit closer) to say thank you (and get a closer look).

They are not big on gratitude and dislike adulation and company it seems as it fired a few warning shots at me .

I turned around and as I flew away (though it did not give chase)the Alien craft continued to shoot at me.
Hehehe.. those guys are not "friendly". :lol: They're hunters.. and they particularly enjoy hunting Thargoids..

As Smivs put it:
Smivs wrote:
:D If it's not a rock, they'll hunt it.
They weren't "helping" you.. you were "helping" them.. or, from their perspective, you were being a nuisance, getting in the way and interfering with their hunt. :P
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied