[RELEASE] DH-Adv. Nav. Comp & Emer. Witchspace Inititator

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Re: Deep Horizon - Adv. Nav. Computer & Emer. Witchspace Ini

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

EV -I debated on that myself. I came to the conclusion that folks would complain and say they wish they could have it without the equipment as just the immersion element. They would complain, as they are now, about it not being exclusive to the ANC. I weighed it out, figured I would lose either way, and settled on creating the illusion in all cases.

I'll talk it over with Phantor, maybe make it toggle-able via OXPConfig or whatever.

Jex-
The above said, JeX - There was warning, so characterizing it otherwise is not exactly fair. No biggie though. Maybe I could have placed that bit more prominently.
The ANC offers both an equipment item for fuel savings and a general immersion behavior. When a jump is initiated by the player, the OXP will spawn a navigation guidance frame around a distant star. The player is then reoriented to that star to simulate true interstellar navigation.
GGShinobi-
Thank you! The code is all there if you want to look at it. Some of it is beyond me as well. Phantor is still struggling to get me to understand some of the maths. :P

Diziet Sma- Thank you as well. Took some doing to make that work, but was fun to work out. If you look closely, you should also see the navigation star actually has a few different appearances.
JeX
Competent
Competent

Post by JeX »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
Jex-
The above said, JeX - There was warning, so characterizing it otherwise is not exactly fair. No biggie though. Maybe I could have placed that bit more prominently.
The ANC offers both an equipment item for fuel savings and a general immersion behavior. When a jump is initiated by the player, the OXP will spawn a navigation guidance frame around a distant star. The player is then reoriented to that star to simulate true interstellar navigation.
Look, if I came across as crass in my critique, I apologize. It was merely to provide you, author and developer, with a description of how a user felt upon experiencing a discrepancy between description and actual experience. And the reason for doing so for my part is always because I like the idea, the work and product and I want it to improve.

I am well aware of the description and I myself was very curious about the immersion effect. However, as you may have noticed there is a world of difference reading about a piece of specified functionality, reading about a well described specified functionality and then experiencing that piece of specified functionality in the context of the individual way of how a user chooses to play the game.
You can hardly blame me when the "warning" did not:
a) explain that the immersion effect was absolute and created changes even without the ANC equipped (in your quote it says that "the ANC offers" which I obviously take to mean that it's the behaviour of the ANC, as I now believe it should be).
b) explain in large friendly red letters: "DON'T PANIC! NOW THE WITCHDRIVE COMPUTER TAKES COMPLETELY CONTROL OF YOUR CRAFT FOR 15 SECONDS!"

So in short, yes, I think I was pretty fair in my assessment of my own surprise, despite a thorough read of your description. ;)

It could be analogous (but hardly identical) to the famous sketch by Monty Python: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy6uLfermPU

But as you say, no biggie, I would personally love it (as already mentioned) to simply have the immersion effect after having bought the ANC as originally stated in your description of the OXP. Then I at least could choose.

And as I stated before: it's really a fine piece of work. No one should demand a refund for the products of Deep Horizons (unless of course, they sue for inadequate product descriptions :P )
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
Diziet Sma- Thank you as well. Took some doing to make that work, but was fun to work out. If you look closely, you should also see the navigation star actually has a few different appearances.
Indeed, I have noticed.. tres cool. 8)

(and if you think it looks funny against a planet, wait until you jump immediately after sunskimming.. 2 or 3 times in 10, you'll actually jump through the sun! :lol: )
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
Indeed, I have noticed.. tres cool. 8)

(and if you think it looks funny against a planet, wait until you jump immediately after sunskimming.. 2 or 3 times in 10, you'll actually jump through the sun! :lol: )
I haven't done any sunskimming yet since installing the final release version, but so far I haven't had the star appear anywhere weird - the illusion works, mostly :). I'm not sure there is a way of having something like this star appear like it does without having it appear in front of something sooner or later. I think being a good 2 to 4 radii away from a star or planet before you initiate the jump should help avoid this.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Hehehe.. to be honest, it doesn't really bother me.. I just have a chuckle and say "See, Han Solo? You were wrong!" :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Hehehe.. to be honest, it doesn't really bother me.. I just have a chuckle and say "See, Han Solo? You were wrong!" :lol:
<chuckles> he's in another universe anyway, ;).
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Diziet Sma wrote:
We could add in (optional) if ship turning is in effect for the type of jump you are making and to jump to the destination chosen involves jumping through a planet, moon, or sun then you get a warning and the jump is cancelled. This would certainly effect game play and would give a reason not to always jump as soon as you left the area of the main station.

We are also considering as part of the immersion having you arrive pointing away from the direction you came from. Though that has the downside of often arriving without seeing the planet and being hard to tell visually that you are not in interstellar space. Well only until you notice the witchpoint beacon and the main planet in the compass.
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Both ideas have merit... and I have no problem knowing if I'm in IS or not on emergence.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cody

Re: [RELEASE] DH-Adv. Nav. Comp & Emer. Witchspace Inititato

Post by Cody »

The ANC needs to be disabled for gal-jumps - if you happen to have a local system locked-in when gal-jumping, it still re-orients the ship, and throws an error:

Code: Select all

22:57:29.718 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (Deep_Horizon_Adv_Nav_Comp 1.0.0): TypeError: this.$jumpMarker is undefined
22:57:29.718 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       ../AddOns/Deep Horizon.oxp/Deep_Horizon_Advanced_Navigation_Computer.oxp/Scripts/Deep_Horizon_Adv_Nav_Comp_World.js, line 196.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

El Viejo wrote:
The ANC needs to be disabled for gal-jumps - if you happen to have a local system locked-in when gal-jumping, it still re-orients the ship, and throws an error:

22:57:29.718 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (Deep_Horizon_Adv_Nav_Comp 1.0.0): TypeError: this.$jumpMarker is undefined
22:57:29.718 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       ../AddOns/Deep Horizon.oxp/Deep_Horizon_Advanced_Navigation_Computer.oxp/Scripts/Deep_Horizon_Adv_Nav_Comp_World.js, line 196.
I will take a look and fix this.
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

In the equipment script there is a typo...

this.equipmentDestroyed = this.equipmentDamanged = function (equipment) {
should be this.equipmentDamaged

Also I got 2 other interesting errors:
  1. In planetinfo.plist I have sun_color = (1.0, 1.0, 0.925, 1.0);
    • Shows this after launch...

Exception: Error: Native exception: GSArray(instance) does not recognize length
          Active script: Deep_Horizon_Adv_Nav_Comp 1.0.0
          Deep_Horizon_Adv_Nav_Comp_World.js, line 367:
          	var color = System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber,sysID).sun_color;
    • Works ok with sun_color = "1.0 1.0 0.925 1.0"; - not sure if that is a core system bug or not.
  2. Prime the ANC equipment, activate and allow the hyperspace countdown to start after re-orientation with the nav-point. Cancel the hyperspace countdown then re-activate the ANC...
    • debug console goes mental with this error message...

Exception: Error: Vector3D.subtract: Could not construct vector from parameters (undefined) -- expected Vector, Entity or array of three numbers.
          Deep_Horizon_Adv_Nav_Comp_World.js, line 252:
          	var orient = this._lookAtRotate (player.ship.position.subtract(navVE.position),player.ship.orientation.vectorUp());
    • If you don't cancel the countdown but de-activate then re-activate the ANC, all is ok.
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Tricky wrote:
In the equipment script there is a typo...

this.equipmentDestroyed = this.equipmentDamanged = function (equipment) {
should be this.equipmentDamaged
:oops: Ok that's on my list.
Tricky wrote:
Also I got 2 other interesting errors:

• Works ok with sun_color = "1.0 1.0 0.925 1.0"; - not sure if that is a core system bug or not.
I haven't been involved with that side of the OXP but I will check it out.
Tricky wrote:
[*]Prime the ANC equipment, activate and allow the hyperspace countdown to start after re-orientation with the nav-point. Cancel the hyperspace countdown then re-activate the ANC...
  • debug console goes mental with this error message...

Exception: Error: Vector3D.subtract: Could not construct vector from parameters (undefined) -- expected Vector, Entity or array of three numbers.
        Deep_Horizon_Adv_Nav_Comp_World.js, line 252:
        	var orient = this._lookAtRotate (player.ship.position.subtract(navVE.position),player.ship.orientation.vectorUp());
  • If you don't cancel the countdown but de-activate then re-activate the ANC, all is ok.
[/list]
I have been rewriting this part of the code for coming new features. I will test the scenario out with the new version.

Phantor

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Tricky wrote:

You have already fixed the bug. :wink: Lists of values in a plist are separated by SPACEs, not by commas.
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Commander McLane wrote:
Tricky wrote:

You have already fixed the bug. :wink: Lists of values in a plist are separated by SPACEs, not by commas.
The first example is an array RGBA tuple, the second is a string RGBA tuple.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Tricky wrote:
The first example is an array RGBA tuple, the second is a string RGBA tuple.
Anything set in planetinfo.plist is loaded as a string.