Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Ambience: Images of local population

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Ambience: Images of local population

Post by PhantorGorth »

pagroove wrote:
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/File:XBN.jpg

I made this one some years ago.
Now for all races. :D

It really is a massive project if you want to include all races. I did some birds not so long ago. Some are reasonable but they look drawn.
I did have a look at this a while back and sensibly backed away. The reason was if you have one basic body type per base species type (birds, frogs, etc) then it would be less of a job than it could be. Not that I am saying it would be a small job. But I doubt people would want to see just one basic body type. Rodents for instance could look like meerkats, rats or capybara, (though according to the Catholic Church capybara are fish!) and Humanoids could be like fantasy dwarves (I will leave the discussion of if that is dwarfs or dwarves to another thread), greys or wookies. On top of that to prevent a possible racism criticism we would need various types for humans too, though this is easier as there are modeling software packages we could use for this. But at this point we are talking 2048 different images. Good luck to anyone who starts this task.

In the end I settled to just do some species icons instead (here)
pagroove wrote:
I really hope someone takes this mammoth task someday and make this dream come true.
We thankfully we don't need images of mammoths. :lol:
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

PhantorGorth wrote:
pagroove wrote:
I really hope someone takes this mammoth task someday and make this dream come true.
We thankfully we don't need images of mammoths. :lol:
What, not even fierce, harmless, boney Mammoths? :(
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Smivs wrote:
What, not even fierce, harmless, boney Mammoths? :(
Like this?
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

So long as it works in the manner as defined by the CC-Library, I can put together modular parts for a proof of concept so long as someone puts the scripting together, if it works I'll add painted parts in grey scale as I guess they'll be dyed? I need to know these details if I'm to help with this.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Just curious. Is there any update on the status of your 'modular' image idea. Is there anyone who is helping you out with the scripting? I would love to see this realized.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Personally I'm currently biting off more than I can chew, if someone is willing to pick up the scripting or at least advance it far enough for me to mess with parameters I would gladly start working on imagery and positioning them to fit together.
I'm currently still banging my head on a brick wall with all the syntax, my current attempts at scripting are resulting in behaviour that seem to go against my instructions :?
I'll click what it is I'm misunderstanding some point, but I've got lots on the boil so that'll be ages :|
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

I'd think it's currently impossible. You can have modular images on missionscreens and as inflight overlay via shader, but standard GUI screens can only show a background image + overlay. The coming CCL 1.7.1 (or v1.8) has got some new stuff to do the inflight overlays (see [wiki]Cabal_Common_Library_Doc_Overlay[/wiki]) which combines coloring with decals via VisualEffect + shader.
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Then it would be possible through a mission screen via F4?
If the page was called Socio-Planetary Details or such like (or even Planetary Tourist Information), could include a fairly large modular image of the said average resident and a background according to level of agriculture/industry, and perhaps some more randomly generated blurb/facts/visitor-information and smaller thumbnails according to techlevel/political persuasion, places to visit/regular events/traditions etc.
For the basic F7 screen addition a smallish screen capture from the completed F4 generator could be manually taken of each resident and added by either the same OXP or as a seperate.
8)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

ZygoUgo wrote:
Then it would be possible through a mission screen via F4?
It is already possible, yes. But not via VisualEffect. It requires entries in shipdata.plist instead of effectdata.plist, because VisualEffects are only active inflight.