Weird spinning behavior of a station and fuel station.

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Weird spinning behavior of a station and fuel station.

Post by cim »

Mad Dan Eccles wrote:
plus, I don't have any OXPs...
That was the bigger clue ;)

Why this might happen, and why it would only affect some Mac users, I don't know. (Are you using the default Deployment download, or the Test download of 1.77?)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It would also be interesting to know AI and AIState (or a full entity dump-out) if it happens again. Particularly for the Fuel Station in my personal interest, but also for a main station more generally.
Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

cim wrote:
That was the bigger clue
Hee.
(Are you using the default Deployment download, or the Test download of 1.77?)
Default deployment download. And gratuitous alliteration.
Master of Mayhem

"The name's derived from Object Oriented eLite so you could say "Oh! Oh! Leet!", but that might sound too much like g33k sex."
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Mad Dan Eccles wrote:
Default deployment download. And gratuitous alliteration.
Would you mind switching to the Test download and seeing if that fixes the problem, please? There already seems to be something a bit odd with the Mac Deployment build on some systems, and knowing whether this is part of it or a completely different oddity would probably be useful to track it down.
Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

Sure. Would that be this link? http://prdownload.berlios.de/oolite-lin ... c-test.zip

Or would you rather I built from source?

Also, as the problem is intermittent, is it best to see if it happens again with the test, or do stick with the deployment version and look for the entities thing mentioned above?
Master of Mayhem

"The name's derived from Object Oriented eLite so you could say "Oh! Oh! Leet!", but that might sound too much like g33k sex."
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Mad Dan Eccles wrote:
Yes that one. It is build from exact the same source, but with an other compiler setting to add more debugging features. It also comes with a debug.oxp and gives you a debug menu when that oxp is installed.

But compiling from source is nowadays very simple on the Mac. No installing of additional packages as needed with older Oolite versions. (Some are still needed, but now scripts load it for you into the build environment) You only need to download XCode from the app store. (And that is free).
Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

Yup, I have XCode and whatnot. No stranger to builds and editing makefiles...
Master of Mayhem

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

This could get entertaining if it turns out that only the Deployment build has the bug.. given that we can't get state-dumps from a Deployment build.. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Looked to me as though the normals were the wrong way around.
Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

Eric Walch wrote:
Nice video, it clearly shows that not only the rotation is wrong, but also subentities are misplaced. Could you open up the console when you see it again. That target the station and type: 'PS.target.subEntities'. That gives a dump of all subs. It would be good to know if there the coordinates are already mixed up, or only on display.
Ah... do I type that in the *console*? Can't see where, and it's not matching anything. Anyway, it just happened again in the test version of 1.77—as I exited a Rock Hermit. I dumped what i could from the debug menu; the last log is here

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33907/Latest.log

and I'm just looking for where the dumps went :)

Edited to add: ah, they're in that log. Cool
Master of Mayhem

Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Mad Dan Eccles wrote:
Ah... do I type that in the *console*? Can't see where, and it's not matching anything.
:oops: I was not clear. I dit not mend the Mac console, but oolites Debug console. Invoke the console by typing 'Cmd-j' within Oolite. (Or get it from the Oolite menu bar).

About the log:

Code: Select all

09:41:05.264 [system]: Can't open input server /Users/rpg/Library/InputManagers/Edit in WriteRoom
09:42:26.141 [sound.mixer.failedToConnectChannel]: Sound mixer: failed to connect channel <OOSoundChannel 0x10857a3d0>{ID=1, state=stopped, sound=<OOCABufferedSound 0x10180a450>{"beep.ogg", mono, 11025 Hz, 15364 bytes}}, error = kAudioUnitErr_CannotDoInCurrentContext.
09:42:26.141 [sound.play.failed]: Failed to play <OOCABufferedSound 0x10180a450>{"beep.ogg", mono, 11025 Hz, 15364 bytes}
16:48:41.339 [universe.objectDump]: DEBUG: Entity Dump - [entities count] = 90,	n_entities = 90
  16:48:41.339 [universe.objectDump]: Ent:   0  PlayerEntity "Cobra Mark III" position: (3439.17, 80.8566, 424265) scanClass: CLASS_PLAYER status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT range: 0 (visible: yes) mass 185580
  16:48:41.339 [universe.objectDump]: Ent:   1  StationEntity "Rock Hermit" "Rock Hermit" position: (6157.91, 192.807, 421675) scanClass: CLASS_ROCK status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT range: 3756.44 (visible: yes) mass 6.148e+07 AI: rockHermitAI.plist:IDLE
I see some sound related errors on startup.
The station dump is limited. You can target it and than select 'target dump' from the menu. But a console listing from the subentities would be more interesting. It should show the same subentity coordinates as in shipdata. If not, it gives a clue at what stage the subentities get mixed up.
Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

Bugger. OK, the javascript console, gottit. I'll know that for next time!

By the way, I refueled at that RH, in case it helps.
Master of Mayhem

Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

Code: Select all

> player.ship.target.inspect()
> PS.target.subEntities
[[Dock "Docking Slit (horizontal)" position: (0, 0, 500) 
(subentity)], [Ship "Arc Detail" position: (0, 0, 0) 
(subentity)]]

And a whole pile of ships stationary waiting to get in...
Master of Mayhem

Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

That looks like correct positions for all. That means it must go wrong on the drawing of the object itself.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Summer 2012 all sin, cos and tan functions in the quaternion area are changed from single precision versions to double precision versions. I wonder if that made a change on the mac. :?: