Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Ship Wishlist!!! :-D

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Ship Wishlist!!! :-D

Post by Paradox »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Paradox wrote:
Found this...http://www.propstore.com/product/hitchh ... miniature/ The actual model used in the series I gather. Started on the mesh... it's a B!#@H! :wink: Organic curves = high poly-count. But I am a trying...
Mate.. you're an absolute legend! Good find, too! I wonder who was the lucky bastard that bought the model.. and what they paid for it?
Wait till I am done modeling before you put me on a pedestal! };] This thing is a mother to model when trying to keep the polygon count down. I have scrapped and started over three times so far. And I am SOOO not looking forward to texturing ALL THOSE TINY LITTLE WINDOW/LIGHT THINGIES!!!:cry:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Edit to add:

What a fantastic set of pics! Including several detail shots.. she seems to have had a rough time in storage at the BBC, going by the damage on the rear of the bridge, the missing 'button' from the set of 5 on the top of the fuselage, and the stains and marks. I doubt any of it was there originally, as 'aging', since in the storyline, she was a brand new ship. Certainly no sign of any of it appears in the screengrabs. I've added the pics to the zip in case anyone would like a set.
There are other strange dissimilarities in the two sets of pics as well. I am wondering if they changed models during the series at some point. I am also going to have to take a little artistic license when it comes to the undersides of the ship, no clear pics to go by...
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Just a little something to show where I am at so far...
Currently at ~1680 polygons... }:[

"aft_eject_position =" Will be on that bevel under the rear, but I dont know where place things like:

missile_launch_position =
scoop_position =
weapon_position_aft =
weapon_position_forward = Maybe an idea...
view_position_aft =
view_position_forward =
view_position_port =
view_position_starboard =

Should the captain be in that bubble on top at the rear or up in the front?

So, any suggestions/input/whatever, now is the time! };]
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Coming along nicely! 8)

The Captain's bridge is the dome at the stern. The windows can be seen in this detail of the model:

I'd set the view positions up to match. Will think about weapon points. The eject position sounds fine.

The best clues to the underside can be seen in HitchHikersGuide-Ship8.jpg, the mirrored part of the display base in HitchHikersGuide-Ship9.jpg and HitchHikersGuide-Ship12.jpg as well as 07.png. Mostly you seem to have nailed it, except for the slight underside protuberances of the nose section.. you have them in the dished part, but they seem to extend onto the ring surrounding the dish itself. If I'm not being clear, I can indicate them on a pic for you.

Also, the cutout parts of the "engine intakes" appear to extend forward of the intakes themselves, into the fuselage to some degree.. though I'd imagine that would be an aboslute b**ch to model..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Coming along nicely! 8)

The Captain's bridge is the dome at the stern. The windows can be seen in this detail of the model:

Only problem with that may be how much ship extends into your screen when in the game. I will have to wait and see what happens with that, but at least now, I know where it is supposed to be! };]
Diziet Sma wrote:
I'd set the view positions up to match. Will think about weapon points. The eject position sounds fine.

The best clues to the underside can be seen in HitchHikersGuide-Ship8.jpg, the mirrored part of the display base in HitchHikersGuide-Ship9.jpg and HitchHikersGuide-Ship12.jpg as well as 07.png. Mostly you seem to have nailed it, except for the slight underside protuberances of the nose section.. you have them in the dished part, but they seem to extend onto the ring surrounding the dish itself. If I'm not being clear, I can indicate them on a pic for you.
I think I know what you mean, and just wasn't sure what I was seeing in the pictures. I can re-do those parts easy enough. It's a bit of a trade off as to what I can model, and what will have to be faked with Photoshop on the textures to keep the polys down...
Diziet Sma wrote:
Also, the cutout parts of the "engine intakes" appear to extend forward of the intakes themselves, into the fuselage to some degree.. though I'd imagine that would be an aboslute b**ch to model..
Yup. that why I have start over four times now! For me, that has been the hardest part of the whole ship... As it is, I had to make them separate pieces, as the only other way to smooth them in, meant smoothing the whole rear of the ship, which shot the poly count to over 5000! I am afraid there are going to have to be a few minor inconsistencies as this ship is pushing my modeling abilities to their limit! }:] Hopefully done modeling tomorrow, and start on texturing (oh them D@#N little windows!)!
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Paradox wrote:
which shot the poly count to over 5000!
A full-detail Oolite planet has 20,000 polys. 5,000 should be fine.
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

What's next? a sperm whale add-on to the Satellites OXP?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Keeper wrote:
Only if there's a bowl of petunias as well.. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Am I the only one who thinks that it looks slightly like a shower head? :oops:

Gorgeous model, though! :D

For the view positions, I wouldn't necessarily put them when the cockpit is. As you said already, the hull is going to obscure half the forward view if the position is way back on the top. The views are from cameras anyway, not from physically looking out of a window. So the camera would be put at the front end of the ship instead of right in front of the cockpit.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Commander McLane wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks that it looks slightly like a shower head?
Yeah, it does... apparently DA enjoyed spending time in the bath, so perhaps that is why.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rorschachhamster »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Keeper wrote:
Only if there's a bowl of petunias as well.. :wink:
He! It would be relatively easy to implement - check if a ship of the heart of gold class is in the system, add a spermwhale and a petunia to the satellites. :D

You could make them fall into the planet, too, but that way no one would probably see them, as long as they are not spawned near the station at launch... :? It will have to wait anyway till I'm back at a newer graphics card. :roll:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Rorschachhamster wrote:
... check if a ship of the heart of gold class is in the system, add a spermwhale and a petunia to the satellites.
<nods> Poor old Agrajag could turn-up in various incarnations, perhaps.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Commander McLane wrote:
For the view positions, I wouldn't necessarily put them when the cockpit is. As you said already, the hull is going to obscure half the forward view if the position is way back on the top. The views are from cameras anyway, not from physically looking out of a window. So the camera would be put at the front end of the ship instead of right in front of the cockpit.
That might make scooping kinda tricky (unless a scoop-cam is added).. it might be that some compromise position could be found. Perhaps above the midpoint along the hull, for instance.. though I wouldn't mind if the nose intruded a small amount into the view. It would be a reminder of just what a hoopy ship one was aboard.
Cody wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks that it looks slightly like a shower head?
Yeah, it does... apparently DA enjoyed spending time in the bath, so perhaps that is why.
It's always reminded me of one, too.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
That might make scooping kinda tricky
That would depend on the scoop position, too. If it's right under the front part, a front camera wouldn't be a problem at all. A camera located at the cockpit would be problematic with any scoop position, though.
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Commander McLane wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks that it looks slightly like a shower head? :oops:

Gorgeous model, though! :D

Nope, your not the only one. That is exactly what I was thinking when I started modeling this... Looks just like a hand-held shower head! };]

I do like seeing parts of my ship when looking out the windows. Adds to the whole immersion thing. But your right, in this case, I think it might take up too much. If so, I can always add custom view so you can still "look out the windows".
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

cim wrote:
Paradox wrote:
which shot the poly count to over 5000!
A full-detail Oolite planet has 20,000 polys. 5,000 should be fine.
Well, on my old wheezing laptop, I try to keep the poly count as low as possible. }:] Perhaps I will do two version, a low and high poly version..? Depends on my interest level. };]