Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Ship Wishlist!!! :-D

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Ship Wishlist!!! :-D

Post by Diziet Sma »

Bumping this thread with a new request for the ship modelling geniuses out there..

Recently reading Cody's Inside Straight got me into listening to The Eagle's Journey of the Sorcerer again, which then led to me downloading and re-watching the entire Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy TV series from Youtube.. which, naturally, led me to thinking what a great Oolite ship the TV series' Heart of Gold would make, unlike the ship from the 2005 movie, which is seriously boring by comparison.

I took over a dozen screen-grabs from episode 3, which gives far and away the best views of Heart of Gold, and bundled them into a zip for anyone who wants to take a shot at modelling her. The screenshots are all taken at 1280x800, but I've re-sized 3 of them for this thread.

The zip can be downloaded from my box account here:
https://app.box.com/s/hrks9jjhk7bp93zrhvvk

For all the youngsters here who may not have seen her, this is the original Heart of Gold.

According to Wikipedia, the Heart of Gold is 150 metres long, which may or may not work for Oolite.. I'll leave that for others to decide.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Diziet Sma wrote:
According to Wikipedia, the Heart of Gold is 150 metres long, which may or may not work for Oolite.. I'll leave that for others to decide.
Should be perfect - it falls halfway between the Python and the Anaconda (130m/170m).
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<nods, grinning>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

Yeah but it looks like a....

Somethings are better left unsaid.
Profile: Commander Kolt
Ship: Cobra III - Longinus V
Elite Rating:Poor
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

OneoftheLost wrote:

:lol: The Psychopath Class ex-Rapid Offensive Unit Frank Exchange of Views was described as that in Iain M. Banks' book Excession.
Ulver laughed. 'It looks,' she snorted, 'like a d**do!'
'That's appropriate,' Churt Lyne said. 'Armed, it can f*** solar systems.'
NB: The words aren't starred in the book.
Cody

Post by Cody »

<sniggers> He did have a way with words - very fitting.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

I would wish for...wish being the operative term. The Pitviper, Imperial Courier and Imperial Trader to Grifified ,Smivified ,Shipbuiderified,Sparafied or Staer9ified :D
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

OneoftheLost wrote:

Clearly, there are some rather unusual designs of ... in your part of the world! :wink: :lol:

(Nice to see that two people have downloaded the zip.. fingers crossed!) 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Bumping this thread with a new request for the ship modelling geniuses out there..

Recently reading Cody's Inside Straight got me into listening to The Eagle's Journey of the Sorcerer again, which then led to me downloading and re-watching the entire Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy TV series from Youtube.. which, naturally, led me to thinking what a great Oolite ship the TV series' Heart of Gold would make, unlike the ship from the 2005 movie, which is seriously boring by comparison.

I took over a dozen screen-grabs from episode 3, which gives far and away the best views of Heart of Gold, and bundled them into a zip for anyone who wants to take a shot at modelling her. The screenshots are all taken at 1280x800, but I've re-sized 3 of them for this thread.

The zip can be downloaded from my box account here:
https://app.box.com/s/hrks9jjhk7bp93zrhvvk

For all the youngsters here who may not have seen her, this is the original Heart of Gold.

Found this...http://www.propstore.com/product/hitchh ... miniature/ The actual model used in the series I gather. Started on the mesh... it's a B!#@H! :wink: Organic curves = high poly-count. But I am a trying...
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Paradox wrote:
Found this...http://www.propstore.com/product/hitchh ... miniature/ The actual model used in the series I gather. Started on the mesh... it's a B!#@H! :wink: Organic curves = high poly-count. But I am a trying...
Mate.. you're an absolute legend! Good find, too! I wonder who was the lucky bastard that bought the model.. and what they paid for it?

Edit to add:

What a fantastic set of pics! Including several detail shots.. she seems to have had a rough time in storage at the BBC, going by the damage on the rear of the bridge, the missing 'button' from the set of 5 on the top of the fuselage, and the stains and marks. I doubt any of it was there originally, as 'aging', since in the storyline, she was a brand new ship. Certainly no sign of any of it appears in the screengrabs. I've added the pics to the zip in case anyone would like a set.
Capt. Reynolds
Competent
Competent

Post by Capt. Reynolds »

This could be brilliant!

Adding my own personal wishes to the list for the Heart of Gold:

First, a Witchdrive spin-up time of zero, so it can just go plip out of the system (infuriating if you're trying to kill it).

Second, some serious randomization if you follow through its wormhole. You could end up at any planet in any Galaxy, thanks to the effects of the Improbability Drive, and maybe even with new completely random cargo (or maybe even in a different, randomised ship? You go chasing it in your Cobra and end up two Galaxies away in a yellow Python armed with left Military laser and front plasma cannon and a cargo bay full of canned tuna or something).

Mind you, nobody ever accused me of being sensible.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Capt. Reynolds wrote:
First, a Witchdrive spin-up time of zero, so it can just go plip out of the system (infuriating if you're trying to kill it).

Second, some serious randomization if you follow through its wormhole. You could end up at any planet in any Galaxy, thanks to the effects of the Improbability Drive, and maybe even with new completely random cargo (or maybe even in a different, randomised ship? You go chasing it in your Cobra and end up two Galaxies away in a yellow Python armed with left Military laser and front plasma cannon and a cargo bay full of canned tuna or something).

I wouldn't say that.. I think those are brilliant ideas! (and so does my flatmate, even though she's only seen the 2005 movie so far.. just yesterday, as it happens..)

Though I think perhaps the normal spin-up time could be considered to be the crew having a freakout argument about what to do, before punching the IID button.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Capt. Reynolds wrote:
The way the giant Thargoid saucer in Xeptatl's Sword disappears would suit, I reckon.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Cody wrote:
Capt. Reynolds wrote:
The way the giant Thargoid saucer in Xeptatl's Sword disappears would suit, I reckon.
Infinitely improbable, but definitely possible! :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Capt. Reynolds wrote:
This could be brilliant!

Adding my own personal wishes to the list for the Heart of Gold:

:lol: Hold up now! I am willing to try and model this thing, but making it do tricks will be up to someone else. };] Maybe just setting thrust=100 should give it some "zip"! };]