Ship Wishlist!!! :-D

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Ship Wishlist!!! :-D

Post by mandoman »

Here's an update on the Comet. No where near finished, as you can see, but it's getting there. Oh, and it ain't perfect. Every time I think I've got the size, and angle of a section figured out, I notice that it doesn't look quite right going by another picture of the ship. I have a strong suspicion that not all of those pictures I downloaded are proportionally, or exactly the same by any means. Here's a pic.

Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
maaarcooose
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by maaarcooose »

You know what I think we need us one of these:

Pretty much invincible, stupidly fast, but no weaponry and a practically unlimited cargo bay.
Would be perfect for lots of passenger runs.

!m!
Trading computers and writing stuff....
OOliteInfo: http://www.theramist.co.uk/ooliteinfo/oo.php
Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rorschachhamster »

The Orion is ready.
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

maaarcooose wrote:

Pretty much invincible, stupidly fast, but no weaponry and a practically unlimited cargo bay.

!m!
I believe it's already been done. An oxp called "About Time". Can't remember who made it, though.

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

maaarcooose wrote:

Let me quote myself, answering to somebody else one-and-a-half years ago:
Commander McLane wrote:
Ad_Astra wrote:
I'm surprised no-one has has yet made an OXP for a blue, box-shaped ship with flashing light on the top of it...
What? Nobody has? You mean Tardis.oxp, which was made by Sabre four five-and-a-half years ago?
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Commander McLane wrote:
maaarcooose wrote:

Let me quote myself, answering to somebody else one-and-a-half years ago:
Commander McLane wrote:
Ad_Astra wrote:
I'm surprised no-one has has yet made an OXP for a blue, box-shaped ship with flashing light on the top of it...
What? Nobody has? You mean Tardis.oxp, which was made by Sabre four five-and-a-half years ago?
Yeah, that. :P

Storm
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Storm »

Whilst I don't doubt Mandoman's ability in recreating the Comet, perhaps this could save some time and hairpulling on his part, unless he really relishes the challenge ;)

Download from here
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Storm wrote:
Whilst I don't doubt Mandoman's ability in recreating the Comet, perhaps this could save some time and hairpulling on his part, unless he really relishes the challenge ;)
Why does the 3D Model of it differ from the cartoon drawings so much? There are whole sections, and small parts on that model that are either shaped differently, or show something completely different from the model, to the cartoon.

As for the challenge, I think I was already doing it, but no one told me before now that a 3D Model of the Comet was already in existence. If that model can be downloaded, and used in the game, I see no use in my continuing, other than to satisfy my own creative appetite. That is probably what I will do, though it's still a bit confusing to me as to which images to rely upon as the "actual" Comet. I guess it's moot at this point, though.

Storm
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Storm »

mandoman wrote:
Why does the 3D Model of it differ from the cartoon drawings so much? There are whole sections, and small parts on that model that are either shaped differently, or show something completely different from the model, to the cartoon.
That model may have been based on a Comet from a comic or other media rather than the cartoon. Designs are simplified quite a lot in cartoons to help the animators drawing them. If you google images of 'Captain Future Comet' and you should be able find some nice pics to help you model one based closer on the cartoon version.
As for the challenge, I think I was already doing it, but no one told me before now that a 3D Model of the Comet was already in existence. If that model can be downloaded, and used in the game, I see no use in my continuing, other than to satisfy my own creative appetite. That is probably what I will do, though it's still a bit confusing to me as to which images to rely upon as the "actual" Comet. I guess it's moot at this point, though.
Good luck!
Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rorschachhamster »

mandoman wrote:
Hmm, I'm not quite sure, you actually could use that model, as I can't read the license... :wink:
EDIT: And I can't download the model, either, as there is a message from mediafire, that account has been suspended... whatever that means. :?
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Rorschachhamster wrote:
mandoman wrote:
Hmm, I'm not quite sure, you actually could use that model, as I can't read the license... :wink:
EDIT: And I can't download the model, either, as there is a message from mediafire, that account has been suspended... whatever that means. :?
Yeah, I saw that as well. I have also been thinking about the license issue myself. I might finish the ship for my own Ooniverse, but that's about it.

Luck is for those who have no concept of accomplishment, or blessing.

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

mandoman wrote:
Rorschachhamster wrote:
mandoman wrote:
Yeah, I saw that as well. I have also been thinking about the license issue myself. I might finish the ship for my own Ooniverse, but that's about it.
The license is in Korean. Google Translate says that it says:
Noncommercial use / learning.
Is a classic material. If you open if no such place has been turned upside down. Selected flip is right. Go tinker some material that may be good for hands looking beautifully transformed sikyeodo
There is a note at the top of the page that download links will be working again tomorrow (1st of the month)

As for the situation regarding licensing of your own Comet, mandoman, it should be the same as every other ship-from-a-series-or-game, such as Star Wars, Star Trek, or even Elite itself. Which is to say, they won't care so long as nobody makes money from it. If you release it under the same CC-by-SA license as the other OXPs use, you shouldn't have a problem.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Diziet Sma wrote:
As for the situation regarding licensing of your own Comet, mandoman, it should be the same as every other ship-from-a-series-or-game, such as Star Wars, Star Trek, or even Elite itself. Which is to say, they won't care so long as nobody makes money from it. If you release it under the same CC-by-SA license as the other OXPs use, you shouldn't have a problem.
Yeah, I suppose. But if there is already one available to download, and it looks as good as that picture, I'm not sure I can match it. I'll keep working on it, and if I feel satisfied that I did it justice, I'll release it.

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Team up with one of our Master Texturers, and I'm sure it will be magnificent! :D
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

mandoman wrote:
maaarcooose wrote:

I believe it's already been done. An oxp called "About Time". Can't remember who made it, though.
About Time OXP was my fifth anniversary update of Sabre's classic (but barely functional) Tardis OXP. I figured it was about time somebody finished it.