Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

What Tools Are Good For Windows OXP Programming

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ozhank
Competent
Competent

Re: What Tools Are Good For Windows OXP Programming

Post by ozhank »

Well, I don't know if it is the right recommendation for a beginner, but I do almost ALL of my work with the nearly omnipotent vim (or gvim, if I'm on Windows). Although I have to admit that it might not be the easiest editor to learn, this might be mitigated by the fact that there is a game where you can learn the basics: http://vim-adventures.com/. :)
Learn vim/gvim and the keycodes. You'll never regret it. I started out with vi and sed since first coming into contact with Unix when learning to code in asm and c. Once you have mastered it, it makes programming in any language a breeze now with all the addons. Keyboard shortcuts for programming editors are a godsend, as you don't have to go looking for the mouse buried on the desk somewhere, and then finding the mouse pointer (the pointer on my laptop tends to hide itself with amazing regularity).
"Blessed are the cracked, for they let the light shine in". Spike Milligan

Debian 9.* XFCE4 on Toshiba Laptop
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

ozhank wrote:
then finding the mouse pointer (the pointer on my laptop tends to hide itself with amazing regularity).
There's a keyboard shortcut for that.. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
psuamier
Above Average
Above Average

Post by psuamier »

Diziet Sma wrote:
It looks like Gedit will remember whichever highlighting type you chose for an individual file, but not as a class. Such a feature would only be of limited use anyway, since some plists are XML, and others are OpenStep, requiring different highlighting.
Hmm, this is interesting, so far I've only seen those from the OXP not having XML (mainy shiplist). It it's simple XML, it shouldn't be hard to be identified (I kind of ask myself why many programs look at file extensions instead of scanning the first few bytes of a file - mplayer f.e. has no problems with a file-extension free video, but sometimes does not play the same video with a wrong extension).
psuamier wrote:
What plugin are you using to get the syntax and style checking? I don't seem to have that feature available in my Pluma (Gedit for Mint)
I have installed both gedit-plugins and gedit-developer-plugins. Though the language file list is from the latter, I'm not sure if it's responsible for the GUI part as well.
psuamier wrote:
You could also create a selection of Snippets (you probably have to activate the corresponding gedit plugin first). If this helps to make input easier of new plist files is a different questions...
Not a bad idea.. will have to play with that.
Sounds great :) Have fun.
CMDR: suamor - Space Trader and Explorer - Founding member of the Elite
Elite Dangerous Beta Tester
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

No one has mentioned Geany yet :). That's what I use for programming and scripting. Althought I am a Linux user, there's a Windows build also available.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

spara wrote:
No one has mentioned Geany yet :). That's what I use for programming and scripting. Althought I am a Linux user, there's a Windows build also available.
I've been diggin' on Geany since I moved to Linux :D. I've become quite a fan of MATE's text editor, pluma, which is a direct fork of gedit (although sadly it (or me) seems to be missing the plug-in to interact with Octave :( ).

It's a little heavy-weight as it is a full IDE, but Qt Creator is quite nice.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

spara wrote:
As it happens, I've just in the last couple of days started evaluating Geany. Much better since I edited my sources so as to get 1.22 installed.
And now that I've found some dark/black background themes for it, it's growing on me.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied