[Release] Start Choices

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Start Choices

Post by spara »

Anonymissimus wrote:
How would one modify this OXP to start the game with an arbitrary (possibly OXP) <ship> ?
Would it suffice to create a savegame using the debug console and reference it in scenarios.plist ?
How were the existing saves in Scenarios/* created ?
This could be a section on this OXP's wiki page "How to start the game with your desired <ship>".
Roughly like that, yes. Scenarios are just saved games. Setup the scene and save the game. Then, if needed, fine tune the save file by hand.
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

Okay thanks. One question though, where is the timestamp saved inside the file ? Searching for time, date or 2084004 doesn't help. :?
warning sound if a missile is inbound: Missile warning
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Anonymissimus wrote:
Okay thanks. One question though, where is the timestamp saved inside the file ? Searching for time, date or 2084004 doesn't help. :?
Probably ship_clock.
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

Yes, thanks.
That value is not even consistent in the core scenarios (normal, strict, tutorial). :?
warning sound if a missile is inbound: Missile warning
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

I just wanted to report back on a very minor conflict with ship respray oxp concerning the 3t cargo bay extension for the Adder.
Basically I found that if a ship respray is purchased that uses anything other than the Griff texture pack then it negates the 3t cargo bay extension (both the presence of an existing or ability to buy later).
I've no idea if there is a way to prevent the ship respray from taking place or whether just an additional note on the wiki page concerning texture packs for the Adder may be an option.

HTH

:)
O.C.T.D (Oolite Crash Test Dummy) Hmm Hmm Hmm Hmm......
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Start Choices is overriding the default player Adder (via the ship key "oolite_template_adder-player" in shipdata-overrides.plist), adding an additional 3t cargo. And via shipyard-overrides.plist, it is overriding the two most likely Adder ship keys, "adder-player" and "griff_adder-player", allowing the Extra Cargo Bay to be purchased, resulting in a total cargo space of 5t. However, because none of the gsagostinho Adder variants are included in the Start Choices shipyard-overrides, they default back to the normal Adder which doesn't allow an extra cargo bay.

So! Here's the fix: download and add this OXZ to your installation: AdderStartChoicesFix.oxz
This adds the gsagostinho Adder variants to the shipyard with the same variations as Start Choices, so everything should line up. Let me know if you hit any snags.
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

Wow :shock:

Thanks phkb :D

Before I download and try out the oxp solution that phkb has so very kindly offered can I ask if this is okay with Spara (as he is listed as being the creator of this oxp) ?

I just don't want to upset / offend anyone by failing to acknowledge / consult the original oxp creator (as this could be viewed as a change even thought it is a separate oxp :? )

Thanks

:)
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Damocles Edge wrote:
if this is okay with Spara (as he is listed as being the creator of this oxp) ?
Well, technically, I'm not actually touching any of the moving parts of Start Choices - I'm overriding data that's set up in gsagostinho's Adder Pack so that it matches the settings in Start Choices. So, I'm pretty sure spara will be OK with it! :D

If spara was interested in a longer-term fix, that didn't require my mini-OXP, he could take the shipyard-overrides.plist file from my OXP and combine it with his. Very happy for this to happen.
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

I have very quickly tried the oxp solution offered by phkb and at this point can confirm that it offers a solution to the issue encountered when using gsagostinho's adder retexture pack together with start choices.
At present all I have done is applied a ship respray to a save game position and checked that this did not at the time nullify the large cargo bay.
But so far a big thumbs and would be a definite benefit if it could be merged into start choices oxp.
Big thanks to phkb.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

How does the time fly :D. The previous update was from 2015!

A new version which incorporates phkb:s fix is now uploaded. Thanks a lot phkb for taking care of yet another of my old oxps.

And to anyone who hesitates to update or fix or modify or alter or change or whatever with my oxps, please don't. I sure didn't hesitate, when I was active :lol: . Just be polite and remember to credit properly and everyone's happy. As a matter of fact, I'm quite taken that some of my oxps are still in use and even being updated by enthuastic people. I (still) firmly believe that modding is the key to keeping this game alive. On top of constantly developing the core game of course.

Fly safe and keep on modding.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

spara wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:45 pm
I (still) firmly believe that modding is the key to keeping this game alive. On top of constantly developing the core game of course.
<grins> Don't forget the players! You can mod and dev all you want, but without us dumb pilots... quo vadis?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Cody wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:52 pm
spara wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:45 pm
I (still) firmly believe that modding is the key to keeping this game alive. On top of constantly developing the core game of course.
<grins> Don't forget the players! You can mod and dev all you want, but without us dumb pilots... quo vadis?
I stand corrected, sir. :D The correct mixture is devving + modding + dumb players.
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

spara wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:17 pm

I stand corrected, sir. :D The correct mixture is devving + modding + dumb players.
Hey! I resemble that remark! :lol:

Cheers for setting me straight too spara - I will try not to stand on ceremony so much with my outlook (although I may be fighting a losing battle), but I'll try all the same.

Although I must declare that I do no modding / coding and my knowledge of such things is probably like residents of the Cayman Islands commenting on tax procedures - they're vaguely aware that there is such a thing known as tax and that some people pay it, but have never done so themselves.

Note if anyone on the board is in Cayman Islands (Jammy...) please accept my apologies for paying government tax and for drawing focus to the fact that you do not, but be assured this was done in a humorous attempt to display my complete lack of coding and oxp knowledge (many who know me would argue that the words "coding and oxp" should be removed from this statement) :wink:

Also just to let you know that the new version of start choices works just fine with gsagostinho's Adder texture

Have to say that the 2 most recent ships in Oolite that I have flown (Anaconda & Adder) have given some of the most enjoyable play time in Oolite, both are ships I previously never would have contemplated buying :shock:
Last edited by Damocles Edge on Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Always had a soft spot for the Adder - lovely ship to fly!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!