[Release] Start Choices

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Start Choices oxp 1.3

Post by Diziet Sma »

Smivs wrote:
However changes to the basic game have always been 'OXP only' and I would be very wary of changing that.
The "basic game" has already gone well beyond the original Elite. If Oolite is a modern 'interpretation' of Elite, why shouldn't the starting options be more modern as well? It's not as if it affects anyone who prefers the "classic" start.
spara wrote:
I find that the idea of forcing all Oolite players to start the game the way it was started in 1984 is nostalgic, retro and all that, but for a modern player it's so yesterday. So there IMO most definitely should be an option for a quicker, right in to the action start. And it should be there when that new player first starts the game. I find it hard to believe that they would come searching for an oxp to help, if they are disappointed in the game.
Agreed.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

There is another option if slightly similar to Thargoid's suggestion of having a version of Oolite shipped with this OXP already, as an optional download in www.oolite.org. It wouldn't be in the official release.
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
Captain Tylor
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Captain Tylor »

Disembodied wrote:
Captain Tylor wrote:
I agree with Cody - isn`t that what OXP`s are all about.
It's true that OXPs are there to give everyone the ability to customise their game - but there is a fundamental difference here in that this would be providing options for new players right from the start, without requiring anyone to install any OXPs (something which a number - possibly a large number - of players might never do; indeed, it's possible that a lot of players never realise that OXPs exist).

This sort of option, offered at startup, need not affect anyone at all, any more than the built-in Strict Mode option does. To be honest, Strict Mode probably has fewer users, and those who do use it might not know what they're doing ... for a long time I thought it was some sort of death-means-death mode, like Escape Velocity's "Iron Man" setting.

Fundamentally, you have to ask: what's wrong with offering an easy (for a quite hard value of "easy") start for those that might want it, or need it to let them see what all the fuss is about? How does it affect the game I choose to play?
Ok as a compromise would adding it to the options as another alternative alongside strict mode.
I think this should keep most people happy.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Captain Tylor wrote:
Ok as a compromise would adding it to the options as another alternative alongside strict mode.
I think this should keep most people happy.
Except the ones who will have to code this in maybe. In my opinion, Thargoid's propsal is by far the most efficient, quick, easy and attractive.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

another_commander wrote:
In my opinion, Thargoid's propsal is by far the most efficient, quick, easy and attractive.
In which case, I'd suggest making them read-only files, to prevent inadvertent overwriting if somebody forgets to change the name before saving.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Start Choices oxp 1.4

Post by spara »

New version (1.4) with a new start option: Hauler. This option is for those who want to start the game as a cargo hauler. Player starts the game with 100 credits flying a beat-down Python that has it's service level set to the minimum. Be ready for malfunctions until you can afford a full maintenance overhaul.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Sweet! 8)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

spara wrote:
New version (1.4) with a new start option: Hauler. This option is for those who want to start the game as a cargo hauler. Player starts the game with 100 credits flying a beat-down Python that has it's service level set to the minimum. Be ready for malfunctions until you can afford a full maintenance overhaul.
I tried this out earlier, and selected the Hauler option. I found I could immediately sell the Python at Lave (where normally I don't see many ships for sale) and bought a Griff Gnat, which was about 23,000 credits cheaper. Almost enough to iron-ass the Gnat!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

JazHaz wrote:
spara wrote:
I tried this out earlier, and selected the Hauler option. I found I could immediately sell the Python at Lave (where normally I don't see many ships for sale) and bought a Griff Gnat, which was about 23,000 credits cheaper. Almost enough to iron-ass the Gnat!
That's lucky :shock:! That's actually so cheap you could have bought it with a default cobra3. (minus the 8000 cr difference of the default cobra3 and beat-down Python of course :wink:).
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

What was the easy start and why was it removed?
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

spara wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
spara wrote:
That's lucky :shock:! That's actually so cheap you could have bought it with a default cobra3. (minus the 8000 cr difference of the default cobra3 and beat-down Python of course :wink:).
Does the gnat need it's specs changing? i can't remember now what equipment it can install, prehaps it shouldn't be able to fit the more powerful lasers and stuff, i'll have a look at what the sidewinder can do and base the gnat on that - maybe have it exactly like the sidewinder but add hyperspace jump capability or something
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Zireael wrote:
What was the easy start and why was it removed?
A valid question. First of all, I've been lazy and the information in the wiki is a bit scarce. Will do something about that when I find a little inspiration somewhere. Secondly, originally I made an oxp out of savegame starts in Switeck's shipping oxp. Basic game is considered to be easy. Medium, hard and harder options come from Switeck's oxp. In addition, inspired by discussions in other threads, I have added 'Fast-Track' and 'Hauler' options. The result is a bit mixed, but hopefully it serves those who want these choices.
Griff wrote:
Does the gnat need it's specs changing? i can't remember now what equipment it can install, prehaps it shouldn't be able to fit the more powerful lasers and stuff, i'll have a look at what the sidewinder can do and base the gnat on that - maybe have it exactly like the sidewinder but add hyperspace jump capability or something
I _was_ going to suggest this some time ago, but forgot it. I feel, that currently Gnat is a bit too good for it's price. So the price should be upped or more preferably it's specs should be tweaked down. Your idea that it could be like Sidewinder with a hyperspace drive sounds good to me. And while you're at, you might want to add a picture of it to your wiki page. I think the ship deserves it.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Start Choices oxp 1.4.1

Post by spara »

A new version (1.4.1)

* Norby has kindly fixed this oxp to work with 1.79. New tutorial was clashing with it.
* While I was at it I have fixed a bug where the hud remains hidden when launching from the first mission screen.

And I have finally updated the wiki with descriptions about the choices. Feel free to correct the language/typos :) .
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Start Choices oxp 1.5

Post by spara »

Want to try something a bit different? In a masochistic kind of way different? Start choices has been updated (1.5) with a new extreme start option: Miner. Option is greatly based on the Zeke Mining Transporter 1.0 by Captain Patrik.
* Miner
Want to start the game with a ship that has no hyperspace capabilities? Then this is you choice. Mining Trasporter, mining laser, fuel scoops and 100 credits. Want to change system? Hitchhike.
This is a bare minimal version of Captain Patrik's oxp. No scripting, no new ships in shop, no new npc ships, nothing fancy. Just a really poor start ship. Just to keep the player sane, the player Transporter has been granted with the possibility to buy Fuel Injectors along with some other basic upgrades.

Have "fun" :mrgreen:
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Start Choices oxp 1.5.1

Post by spara »

I've been enjoying the Miner start for a while now and finally the dice has rolled so that I'm at Zaonce. Every blue sphere is a new chance :lol: .

Lave is a bit rough place to start as a miner and Zaonce is much nicer. For that reason Captain Patrik included a save file into his miner oxp to start from Zaonce. To make the miner option a little more plausible, I have updated the oxp (v1.5.1) so that when you first launch, after starting a new miner game, an Anaconda launches after you and jumps to Zaonce. Take your chance and follow, you won't regret.