[Release] Market Observer

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Market Observer

Post by spara »

Seems to work fine here:

I bought 5t of food and jettisoned 1t. Hold shows correctly 4t and purchase log correctly 5 x 3.7. The next time you dock the difference between the actual hold and the purchase log will be checked and if cargo is lost, it will be reduced from your accumulated profit. This allows you to replace the lost cargo before docking by salvaging.
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

Ah, OK, so it is a feature! It was a little confusing on the F8-F8 screen as it says "breakdown of held cargo" when it isn't actually being held anymore.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Oh that :shock: . Indeed, it's misleading! Maybe "Breakdown of purchase log" would be better? Again, English is not my strong suit :( . I'm open to all suggestions.
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

Well, if you could add more lines showing any losses and scoops you've had since the initial purchase, then something like this would be ideal:

"Current manifest entry for this commodity:"

"Amount lost in transit:"

"Amount acquired in transit:"

"Net gain/loss of this commodity:"
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Hmmm. I like to keep things simple here. The almighty Trader's Association just monitors buy and sell transactions. You buy something, it's logged and when you sell something, the difference between buy and sell price is added to your cumulative rating. To simplify things, the log is purged of possible losses when docking.

But the headline definitely needs to be better. I'll ponder it a bit.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Is Market Observer's Trader Rating System compatible with HyperCargo? My guess is that it is not. Since purchasing and using the HyperCargo System my Trader Rating has gone down dramatically. It appears that whatever cargo is placed into the HyperCargo System is not counted towards your Trader Rating when it is sold. I have looked into the scripts of Market Observer and have noticed that "lost cargo" and "contracted cargo" are not counted towards the Trader Rating. Is it possible that the cargo placed into the HyperCargo System is being counted as one of these two uncountable possibilities. My Script-Fu is not yet strong enough to enable me to make an exact determination of what is happening or of what to change or comment out in order for my HyperCargo Cargo to be counted towards my Trader Rating. Please advise and thank you in advance for your time and effort.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Hello Nite Owl.

Once upon a time I added a ton of compatibility hacks to this oxp to make it work with a range of other oxps that somehow messed with markets or cargo. And of course I quite blindly added a plethora of useful and not so useful features to the oxp. The result was an over complicated mess that was a nightmare to maintain. Those were versions 1.xx-2.xx. Not to mention the pre-Observer oxp called Troomp... With version 3.xx I ripped the whole thing a part, built it again basically from scratch keeping the core and actually planned what to include and what to leave out. One thing I deliberately left out were all hackish oxp compatibilty fixes. That means also HyperCargo which is probably bypassing playerBoughtCargo and playerSoldCargo events. The oxp monitors those and ship's manifest and acts accordingly.

A bit of a long story, but it hopefully explains something. :)

In short, I'm not planning on adding hacks (unless they are really trivial ones of course) to add compatibility. In this case HyperCargo would require more than a simple hack mainly because it expands the manifest and would require monitoring that too. If, however, someone wants to hack it, go ahead. Just be warned, I've been there :D.

You can probably disable the trader's rating feature by commenting or removing it from the world-scripts.plist file. It's been a while and my memory is a bit vague on this, but that's how I planned it at the time.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Will look into commenting out of the appropriate parts of the world-script.plist. Thank you for the response spara. It is much appreciated.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Updated to version 3.6

* Added support for external ad-packs.
BlackWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by BlackWolf »

Awesomeness.
On a side note, all 20 wanted posters are done and up. Link in said thread.
Creativity is a gift, use it well.
private_lock
Average
Average

Post by private_lock »

Hi Spara
In short, I'm not planning on adding hacks (unless they are really trivial ones of course) to add compatibility.
Would you consider it a hack, to only evaluate a "lost cargo" breakdown, if the ship sufferd any damage?

I think, I could live with loosing the HyperCargos value deducted whenever I take damage. Yes, this would allow to buy off pirates by dumping a few canisters and hoping you can later salvage them ... but if you resort to dumping cargo, you're prone to being chased and fired at anyway - so I think, this hack would not really impact the intended function of the trade rating.

Kind regards
private_lock
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

In another thread we have modified the game to display two additional rows on the market screen. When (hopefully) that change is incorporated into the core, the labels at the top of the extra columns added by this OXP will need to be repositioned. In this post on that thread, I listed the required changes.
vaxon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vaxon »

Hi!
Is it possible to make this OXP configurable? For example, add an option for disabling ads?
I like the trading log/rating feature, but I don't really use those additional columns much.

I also think that ads have little to do with the above features.
I think having them moved to a separate OXP or at least having the option to disable them would be nice.

Personally I find those things like GNN and ads a bit misplaced, so to speak.
I'd like my ooniverse to be darker and more mysterious, while these funny pictures sort of ruin it.

Thanks!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

vaxon wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:40 pm
Is it possible to make this OXP configurable? For example, add an option for disabling ads?
A fair request. If you're ready to do some tinkering yourself, you can easily make them go away. In the market_observer.js on line 242, you find something like this:

Code: Select all

this.guiScreenChanged = function(to, from) {
	//no ads in-flight
	if (!player.ship.docked) return;
	if (guiScreen.indexOf("GUI_SCREEN_MARKET") !== -1) { //swap to market hud
Change that to this:

Code: Select all

this.guiScreenChanged = function(to, from) {
	return;
	//no ads in-flight
	if (!player.ship.docked) return;
	if (guiScreen.indexOf("GUI_SCREEN_MARKET") !== -1) { //swap to market hud
And you're set.

I'll see, if I'm able to squeeze some spare time at some point do a bit more elegant solution with an actual adless hud with proper column titles and a proper on/off switch.
vaxon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vaxon »

Thank you very much!
I'm also thinking that moving ads to a separate OXP is not a bad idea either. Like other OXPs are split into functional and texture parts. So that we could have different sets of ads installed separately, while the functional part with the additional columns and trader log/ratings is completely free from any images, but provides functionality for adding ads to the F8 screen.