Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[RELEASE] Camera Drones OXP (1.77 only)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: [RELEASE] Camera Drones OXP (1.77 only)

Post by Cholmondely »

CaptSolo wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:35 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:13 pm
I've utterly failed to get any of this to do anything!
I'm assuming you read the first paragraph on how to use this OXP and still couldn't get it work.
While in flight, press Shift-N to cycle through your equipment to the camera drones. Then use the secondary activation key (b) to select the camera you wish to use from the installed list. When you have selected the camera, activate the equipment (n), and switch to your external view (v). To deactivate the drones, and return to your default external view, press 'n' again.
Thanks for this.

No. I didn't read it. I just presumed that it was a case of maniacally pressing the shift-N's and the N's!

This stuff is all loaded in my Imperial Star Destroyer cheat file - and I need to work my way through my cocktail of 200-odd oxp's in order to retry it, so it will take a while! Thank you for taking the bother to point this out to me.

Isn't it wonderful how fiddling about with the oxp cocktail has such major impact on the emotions one feels about the universe one is playing in? I find it quite remarkable. It's merely lots of lines of text stored in files running on a contraption with zillions of silicon chips!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Tried out this OXP many moons ago primarily for the tracking Missile View. Unfortunately the method used to activate that view produced two problems. First was the number of key presses needed to activate it. Second was that it is an External View. Meaning that you loose all Situational Awareness of what is going on in the rest of your battle until you are back in your Normal Cockpit view. That is with even more key presses required to get back to your cockpit. It did not last long in my OXP roster.

Now if that tracking Missile View were to pop up on its own, in an M.F.D. perhaps. Then it could be viewed glancingly while going about the business of turning the remainder of your opposition into toast. It might even go so far as to make using missiles in Oolite a fun thing instead of the desperation maneuver they are now (for me anyway). If anyone remembers ye olde Microprose game F-117 (available on the cheap at G.O.G.) it has such a feature. Is such a thing even possible in Oolite code wise - doubtful. Still one can but dream.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Nite Owl wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:57 pm
Tried out this OXP many moons ago primarily for the tracking Missile View. Unfortunately the method used to activate that view produced two problems. First was the number of key presses needed to activate it. Second was that it is an External View. Meaning that you loose all Situational Awareness of what is going on in the rest of your battle until you are back in your Normal Cockpit view. That is with even more key presses required to get back to your cockpit. It did not last long in my OXP roster.

Now if that tracking Missile View were to pop up on its own, in an M.F.D. perhaps. Then it could be viewed glancingly while going about the business of turning the remainder of your opposition into toast. It might even go so far as to make using missiles in Oolite a fun thing instead of the desperation maneuver they are now (for me anyway). If anyone remembers ye olde Microprose game F-117 (available on the cheap at G.O.G.) it has such a feature. Is such a thing even possible in Oolite code wise - doubtful. Still one can but dream.
Would this work better if there were more fast activation buttons, or is that just a complete red herring?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:42 pm
Would this work better if there were more fast activation buttons
Possibly, but I think part of Nite Owl's problems were to do with use case. I don't think Camera drones were designed to be used during battles or even normal flight, as an alternative to using the normal views (or even the normal external views). The primary reason for using Camera Drones is for screenshots and video capturing. I use them quite extensively when I did my teaser trailer.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

phkb wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:35 am
The primary reason for using Camera Drones is for screenshots and video capturing.
<nods>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!