Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

OXP's

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

OXP's

Post by TGHC »

Help the old codger out please. I want a josher, it has a great spec, so I want to download my first OXP.

I've searched through the bbs and Wiki, but am still stuck, first problem is no add-ons folder, not sure where to put it. (no funny comments please)

Looking at the list on Oosat it shows OXP's for older versions, can I assume that they are backwards compatible. Some OXP's are also identified as unfinished, I presume so that others can contribute.

If I download a ship am I likely to come up against one in space, there seem to be some beasts there.

Would some nice person put up an OXP idiot's guide for downloading to a PC.

TX
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

OXP's

Post by milinks »

If you navigate to your oolite install folder, which if you havent changed the instalation directory, will be C:\Program Files\Oolite - then create a new folder called AddOns - REMEMBER it has to be case sensitive. then download an OXP of your choice. Some of them have OXp's for MAC and windows versions, so unzip the OXP, and find a folder called --.oxp, this folder should only contain other folders, such as Config, AIs, Textures and Models. copy the OXP folder into your AddOns folder.
As for choosing which one, Oosat have a great many OXPs to choose from and it is great fun seeing which each one offers. The ships on offer are clearly listed at Oosat. As for seeing how much they increase your gaming experience and to give you an idea for creating one yourself, use the graveyard oxp and/ or Lave.Oxp ( to get Lave working i had to remove

debugOn,
"addMoon: moon_lave",
debugOff

from the planetinfo.plist in the config folder.
I hope this has been of use to you
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

TGHC - forgot to mention that if having added an OXP, the game crashes back to windows, have a look in your Stderr.txt which is in your C:\Program Files\Oolite - folder. This will tell you where the error is exactly. Such as "could not parse Lave.oxp\config\planetinfo.plist or whatever. So it gives you an exact location to start looking. This comes in MAJOR league handy lol.
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

OK! so I'm a bit forgetful, sorry TGHC. i have found that the new windows version, i.e, the one Nic put out on about the 23rd, wil not accept AddOns, although the game works fine in itself. This may be just my crappy computer. the first windows installer works with AddOns perfectly, as i say this may be just my computer as i mentioned it previously and there hasnt been any mention of the new build affecting other Ooliteans computers. But if you have any doubts, try the first build.
Nic
Competent
Competent

Post by Nic »

It's gonna take a little while to fix it too. I'm gonna be away from my computer for a week or two. But after that, i'll release a new build and get OXPs going.

Cheers,
-Nic
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Nic wrote:
It's gonna take a little while to fix it too. I'm gonna be away from my computer for a week or two. But after that, i'll release a new build and get OXPs going.

Cheers,
-Nic
Us non techy Windows users should club together and buy Nic a laptop. :wink:

Looking forward to it Nic.
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

TGHC wrote:
Us non techy Windows users should club together and buy Nic a laptop.
Damn fine idea. We should have an Mobile Oolite station Laptop so the wizards can progress what some of us have been waiting oh.....about 22 years for!!! I'm in!! :D
flap
Above Average
Above Average

Post by flap »

So do OXP work or not on the windows release ?

Apparently frog star does work : I've just met one recently. But the graveyard don't (I think).
So which functionality work in oxp and which don't ?

Or have the frog star been added in the default game ?
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

Hi flap, OXPs DO work in Windows. What you need to understand is that the Windows port of this game has been VERY difficult to accomplish, with amazing amounts of effort put in by the likes of Dajt and Nic. Nic has published TWO installer packages for Oolite

1. oolite-1.60-alpha20060105-win32.exe

2. oolite-1.62-alpha20060123-win32.exe

There was a problem with the second release where it came to the OXP merging. The second release is built on a more recent Oolite build, so a lot of game fixes are incorporated in the second release. The first release, an earlier version of Oolite does not have all the game fixes the second version has, BUT the OXPs work in the first release. there are many explanations on here about how to install the OXPs, but at present you just need to remember that the first windows installer will work with OXPs, whilst the second one won't.

If you are installing either of these two out of the box, you will also need to find the post on the memory leak fix and follow the instructions. I hope this has helped to clarify things for you, happpy hunting!!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

flap wrote:
frog star does work : I've just met one recently.
Frog star? Never heard of those, do you mean Far Star (Murderer)? The black-and-yellow ship?

Edit: :oops: You mean the Frog Rickshaw, me bad, sorry...
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

flap wrote:
So do OXP work or not on the windows release ?

Apparently frog star does work : I've just met one recently. But the graveyard doesn't (I think).
So which functionality work in oxp and which doesn't ?

Or have the frog star been added in the default game ?
Fixed. Sorry to be pedantic, but that's just who I am.

It might be worthwhile installing BOTH Windows versions. I installed the earlier version first, then created and filled the AddOns directory. Note that the AddOns directory should be created in C:\Program Files\Oolite\ (if you used the default installation path) so the complete path to (for example) xships is C:\Program Files\Oolite\AddOns\xships.oxp.

I am running the latest Windows build with many OXPs installed and working, including tgy_dev.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I'm using the second window build too, with Winston's memory gobbler fix, I have only installed a few OXP's and found that some work and some don't.

Here's my list of what does and doesn't work for me so far

Working OK:-

Supercobra
Oldships
Behemoth
Roc
Grittycorolis

Not working:-

Kleptohud - nothing
crosshair - nothing
piratecoves - crashes big time, Oolite won't load at all

What do other PC users use that works?
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

Hi ya, ive found that OXPs which utilise images, such as megawalnutdash.oxp will not work corretly due to the windows issue of not displaying images. Also there does appear to be a lot of mention of SDL issues.

the OXPs that i use at present are

Lave.oxp
monument.oxp
tgy_dev.oxp
behemoth.oxp
impcourier.oxp
tori.oxp
turret_test.oxp
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

WoW! megaWalnutdash.OXP works, how cool is that!!!