Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

oolite cockpit/increasing the viewing angle

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Vincentz
Deadly
Deadly

Re: oolite cockpit/increasing the viewing angle

Post by Vincentz »

Day wrote:
If the 4:3 is 1.33 in aspect ration, then the FOV aspect ration is 57.5/1.3 = 43.125
Then the 5:4 aspect ratio would be 43.125 * (5/4) = 53.9 FOV

(but as mentioned, I'm not in a position to do math :lol:
I think the FOV calculator above is better)
No problem, and thank you for your answer :D

Ok, I get it. Yes the calculator is better :D

Original fov, that is to say horizontal angle of view is 57.5°.
57.5° / 1.33 does not give the vertical angle of view.
It would be 2 * atan(tan(57.5 / 2) / 1.33).

This does not invalid any part of the discussion, so no worries.
luckily enough the primitive calculation wasnt that wrong until the triple setup.
(57 FOV - 58 FOV as calculator doesnt take decimals)
5:4 was 53.95 - 54.9 not 53.9
16:10 was 66.2 - 67.3 not 69
16:9 was 71.8 - 73 not 76.7
;)
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." - Isaac Asimov
Vincentz
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Vincentz »

Change FOV keys/joypad removed in latest trunk?

Btw, I tried to search for it in savegame, but couldnt find any. Would it be possible to change FOV in saves. Would be really nice if possible, especially if it could disregard Custom FOV in settings, so I can play triple setup :D
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." - Isaac Asimov
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Vincentz wrote:
Change FOV keys/joypad removed in latest trunk?
Yes, the intention has always been to leave them in for a while so that the feature can be tested more easily, but they were scheduled for removal before 1.82 release, since the FOV is meant to be settable as a user option. Having said that, the code for the keys/joystick FOV control has not been physically removed, it is just switched off.
Btw, I tried to search for it in savegame, but couldnt find any. Would it be possible to change FOV in saves. Would be really nice if possible, especially if it could disregard Custom FOV in settings, so I can play triple setup :D
You will not find it in the savefile; look inside .GNUstepDefaults instead. The key you want is "fov-value". However, this does not offer anything different to setting it via game option and there are no plans to make it part of the savefile. For reference, we had gamma (a very similar type of setting) as part of the savefile in the past, and that didn't go down very well - we received not-so-positive comments about this in an online review due to unexpected gamma resets on game restart and switched it to the defaults file instead. That's the kosher location for settings.