Hyperspave travel

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Hyperspave travel

Post by cim »

Thargoid wrote:
What Cim discusses would be a modification to the trunk code, which I leave to his judgement and discretion. Essentially it is unfixing the 2.5 seconds described above and allowing it to be adjusted.
And... not for 1.77, I think. At the moment the duration of the break pattern is tied very closely to the appearance of the rings themselves (so for custom break patterns, the rings are invisible, not absent). It's not a straightforward change.
statto
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by statto »

Reading this thread people are making the assumption that the extra time required for the jump is added to the end of the jump sequence.
I don't know anything about OXP's (yet) or the hard coding in the game as I am a fairly new player but has anyone considered adding time to the beginning of the jump sequence?
The same problems may exist for the player at the beginning i.e. being shot at/ crashing into stuff.
Just an idea.
maaarcooose
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by maaarcooose »

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but I would suggest that on initiating a jump, an OXP can jump in at say 10 seconds to go, create a tunnel in front of the ship for the player to fly down. If you move out of the tunnel, death or mis-jump. As with the standard jump, you still have to wait for the counter to reach 0 before you actually jump.

For me, when you initiate a jump, I would love to see the wormhole forming in front of me before entering it.
Seeing as you can fly into an already open wormhole it would make sense that this happens from a player perspective when initiating the jump yourself.

!m!
Trading computers and writing stuff....
OOliteInfo: http://www.theramist.co.uk/ooliteinfo/oo.php
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Something like the original BGS jump effect before the actual jump, followed by the current BGS jump effect, would be cool.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

El Viejo wrote:
Something like the original BGS jump effect before the actual jump, followed by the current BGS jump effect, would be cool.
Jump effects before the jump need to deal with the possibility that the jump will fail, too. Seeing the tunnel break down and disperse if you're mass-locked or cancel it could be quite interesting.