Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Limit Theory

Post by Wildeblood »

hiran wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:16 pm
I'm wondering why he tried to do it all by himself.
Because he had a personality disorder that made him imagine anyone he allowed to become involved would try to rip him off. That was obvious from early on.
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Wildeblood wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:47 pm
hiran wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:16 pm
I'm wondering why he tried to do it all by himself.
Because he had a personality disorder that made him imagine anyone he allowed to become involved would try to rip him off. That was obvious from early on.
Probably you do not even need a big personality disorder. I tried once to contribute to some open source project, and the repo owner would not merge my code in unless it was all well formatted. Despite the project's code quality scanner had been disabled.

So I suggested to enable that which would allow me to correct formatting issues without him and deliver code such that we could start talking about the vision, purpose, the chosen implementation etc rather than whitespace.

It lead to nothing and I understood why that guy was the only one coding on that project.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

I also think Josh suffered from perfectionism, leading him to write then scrap and rewrite then scrape multiple versions of the codebase over time.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

phkb wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 pm
I also think Josh suffered from perfectionism, leading him to write then scrap and rewrite then scrape multiple versions of the codebase over time.
...and as the game grew he had to spend more and more time playing to 'test it all'
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

phkb wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 pm
Don't confuse indecisiveness for perfectionism.

What he suffered from - apart from the obvious mental issues - was something fairly common: an inability or unwillingness to understand that project management is a skillset in its own right. Just because someone is good at skill X, it does not follow that they will be any good at managing the resources needed to facilitate X, or the application of X to a greater task.
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."