Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Calling all Raspberry Pi owners...

Information, contacts and source code for ports to Linux, Windows, etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

nr.
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: Calling all Raspberry Pi owners...

Post by nr. »

mmmm, I just noticed that oolite has appeared in the Raspbian package repository:

Code: Select all

neil@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo apt-get install oolite
<snip>

The following NEW packages will be installed:
  gnustep-base-common gnustep-base-runtime gnustep-common libgnustep-base1.22
  libmad0 libmikmod2 libmozjs185-1.0 libnspr4 libobjc3 libsdl-mixer1.2 oolite
  oolite-data oolite-data-sounds oolite-doc

<snip>
I'll give it a whizz over the weekend sometime. Anyone else tried it yet?
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

nr. wrote:
mmmm, I just noticed that oolite has appeared in the Raspbian package repository:
<snip>
I'll give it a whizz over the weekend sometime. Anyone else tried it yet?
Oolite has been there for a while, but fails to boot with an OpenGL error. At least it failed when I tested it, but I doubt anything has changed.

Reported here.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
psuamier
Above Average
Above Average

Post by psuamier »

I also have some kind of interest to getting Oolite to run on some kind of Arm-based hardware with OpenGL ES. I only checked so far the possibility and it seems to work (and someone already seems to have done the work).

The only thing I have read that SDL works fine apparently with OpenGL. Maybe that's a help to find out the root cause of the OpenGL problem. My hardware is a small tablet (5"), so it's not really important to get Oolite running there ATM.

(Android is possible - in a way similar to the Qt framework, so it's more work to get Oolite running there)

Thanks for the many hints in this thread though!
CMDR: suamor - Space Trader and Explorer - Founding member of the Elite
Elite Dangerous Beta Tester
Hans Olo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hans Olo »

I came to 'porting to other platforms' to see if there was talk about oolite on pi, and whatdya know? This thread! Awesome! I don't have the expertise to help out, I would love to see the result. :D
Cpt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cpt »

So according to the latest update Oolite is slow but operational on Raspberry Pi that is good news!
Oolite is Ooheavy... Cpt says "Write on Commander"
<<My other spaceship is a Thargoid Pathfinder, from the wrong side of Riedquat >>
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Cpt wrote:
So according to the latest update Oolite is slow but operational on Raspberry Pi that is good news!
To the best of my knowledge (and the last time I tried) Oolite will not run on the Raspberry Pi. Oolite uses the Open GL graphics library, the RPi uses OPENGL ES. I'm not familiar with the differences between the two, but from what I understand it's not trivial.
Nothing to see here, move along, move along.
<Must remember to click on links before answering posts!>
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
dan3008
Average
Average

Post by dan3008 »

Firstoff, sorry for reviving a dead post (I'm a bit of an online necromancer when it comes to things like this) but this one was the most recent thread about the pi, and is still at the top of the board...

Having read all the threads I can find on the subject, am I right in thinking that in order to port this properly (not using GLShim) the first thing we need to do is port all the openGL stuff to openGLES?

I'm going to start a fork of the main repository soon and start working on it. I'll post back once I'm started, I'd appreciate any help I can get :)
attacked, defended myself, now i'm the fugitive. How was i supposed to know that other ship was a galcop...
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

dan3008 wrote:
Having read all the threads I can find on the subject, am I right in thinking that in order to port this properly (not using GLShim) the first thing we need to do is port all the openGL stuff to openGLES?
If you can do that, it will go a long way towards getting Oolite to run on Android, as well..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
dan3008
Average
Average

Post by dan3008 »

Diziet Sma wrote:
If you can do that, it will go a long way towards getting Oolite to run on Android, as well..
This is true, I didnt even think that, but I dont have a decent android device to test it on...
attacked, defended myself, now i'm the fugitive. How was i supposed to know that other ship was a galcop...
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Oolite run on a raspi2, shoutout from the foundation itself:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... n-release/

8) 8) 8)
bambo
Harmless
Harmless

Post by bambo »

Hi :)

Has anyone managed to play Oolite on the Raspberry Pi without problems?

I installed Oolite on a new RPi 3 with a clean installation of the latest Raspbian version (as of April the 3rd 2016) with the GL driver activated but I get lot's of graphical corruption:
Certain triangles on most objects like planets don't get textured every other frame. While the splash screen renders fine you can immediately see "black spots" flickering on Lave when starting the game and leaving the station (which is probably the skybox showing through the planet).

I tried using different GPU memory allocation amounts but I'm back at 64 MB because there's no difference.
I also tried activating the following hidden settings:
max-texture-size "64"
texture-anisotropy-scale "0"
use-texture-lod-bias "NO"

but aside of a blazing fast framerate this achieved nothing as well.

Maybe it's because the Oolite version of the repository is 1.77? Are there known problems in older versions which could cause these problems?
I could try and compile the github version but will it even run on an ARM CPU? Which flags should I use compiling it on a Pi?