[WiP]Ship's Cat OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WiP]Ship's Cat OXP

Post by Diziet Sma »

Sound FX chosen, downloaded and edited.. next to put them in, with a bit of scripting to make them situation-appropriate.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

mossfoot wrote:
Perhaps rather than "Off" and "On" the settings could be "keep in hold" and "free roam". Free roam being "on" where you hear the cat meow as it goes by, and "keep in hold" gives you some privacy. ;)

Privacy?!?!? With a cat?!?!?!

Are you mad man?

};]
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Sound FX chosen, downloaded and edited.. next to put them in, with a bit of scripting to make them situation-appropriate.
These are cats we're talking about right? That should be situation-inappropriate... i.e. The middle of battle, when you're trying to dock, etc... };]

Thanks Dizzy, at least now, they will do more than just show up on the manifest! };]
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

More thoughts...
for the dogs/cats
growling/hissing when going to red alert
happy bark/meow when going back to green.
bark/meow when entering Station aegis
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Paradox wrote:
mossfoot wrote:
Perhaps rather than "Off" and "On" the settings could be "keep in hold" and "free roam". Free roam being "on" where you hear the cat meow as it goes by, and "keep in hold" gives you some privacy. ;)

Are you mad man?

};]
Heh. Well, even in the future cat's can't open locked doors, so keeping it in the hold when you are sick of the meowing would be better than being forced to uninstall the OXP, right?
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Paradox wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
These are cats we're talking about right? That should be situation-inappropriate... i.e. The middle of battle, when you're trying to dock, etc... };]
Strange as it may sound, those are not mutually incompatible goals.. in fact, at times, they can be one and the same.. :twisted:
Paradox wrote:
More thoughts...
for the dogs/cats
growling/hissing when going to red alert
happy bark/meow when going back to green.
bark/meow when entering Station aegis
That was the direction I had in mind, with the occasional twist.. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

All sorted now.
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

mossfoot wrote:
Paradox wrote:
mossfoot wrote:

Are you mad man?

};]
Heh. Well, even in the future cat's can't open locked doors, so keeping it in the hold when you are sick of the meowing would be better than being forced to uninstall the OXP, right?
I think you better talk to Heinlein about that...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cat_W ... ough_Walls
Eleanor Azuranai
Poor
Poor

Post by Eleanor Azuranai »

I have two cats already. Thankfully one of them only snoozes on top of the Torus drive shielding in the Engineering compartment, and the other one spends hours staring out the rear viewport miaowing intermittently, because they don't really get on well, and by that I mean savage fights that leave fur all over the place. I am already having to de-fluff the air-con filters on a daily basis.

Catfood is very cheap in Ensoreus!
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Eleanor Azuranai wrote:
I have two cats already. Thankfully one of them only snoozes on top of the Torus drive shielding in the Engineering compartment, and the other one spends hours staring out the rear viewport miaowing intermittently, because they don't really get on well, and by that I mean savage fights that leave fur all over the place. I am already having to de-fluff the air-con filters on a daily basis.

Catfood is very cheap in Ensoreus!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
v4hn
Poor
Poor

Post by v4hn »

Heya,

I just finished (in terms of code) a much improved version of this module.
I named it version 1.1, although I didn't ask superbatprime for his permission yet.

Let's hope he'll read this post and make this new version official and upstream. :)

New features:

- Reloading the equipment screen to change cats doesn't work anymore
- Reloading a savegame also doesn't change the cat available at the station
- Cats can die now (on average they've got 9 lifes :D )

http://v4hn.de/files/oolite.oxp.superba ... 7s_Cat.oxz

Feedback is more than welcome. This is the first time I looked behind the curtains of Oolite.
A Biiig Thank You to the developers for the brilliant API-Documentation in the wiki!

Enjoy, Comment, Improve!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, v4hn - that seems to work fine (so far), so I'll be about customising the cats' names later - and thanks!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
v4hn
Poor
Poor

Post by v4hn »

Hmmm, looks like the last time supercatprime was logged in here was back in Nov 2012.
I therefore pretty much doubt he's still interested in maintaining this addon..

Is there a standard procedure for that in this community?

/me would like to see the new version available.
Maybe I'll also spend some time on ideas for petting cats and getting in your way...
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

v4hn wrote:
Hmmm, looks like the last time supercatprime was logged in here was back in Nov 2012.

Maybe I'll also spend some time on ideas for petting cats and getting in your way...
Maybe send him a personal message?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

ffutures wrote:
v4hn wrote:

Maybe send him a personal message?
But don't hold your breath waiting.. I have a PM sent to him over 18 months ago, which as yet, he hasn't even read.

If you read back through from the original post and the readme in the OXP, superbatprime was always hoping somebody would pick the OXP up and run with it..
superbatprime's README file wrote:
This OXP is a work in progress.
Please feel free to improve and expand the functionality of this OXP, more cats can be added, it still demands several obvious features beyond my ability.
-A script to randomly destroy a damaged ships cat ("Ship's Cat has been killed!") is something I'd love for this oxp.
In regard to which, I was the individual who OXZ-ified it, and I have a current project under way (albeit very slowly) to add sound effects.

@ v4hn: would you be interested in us both working on it together?