Elite : Reclamation (Novel)

Writings and chronicles of the OOniverse.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Elite : Reclamation (Novel)

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wolfwood wrote:
Didn't mean to reveal such secrets in such a clumsy way...
It's always those little Freudian slips that give the game away..

Just like Blair's 'weapons of mass distraction'.. :mrgreen:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

time machine.

Cheers,

Drew.

I'm having serious problems, the reset button has got stuck on my
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Today is a video update (also available as a podcast - suggest you do a ‘right click’ and ‘save as’). I talk about finishing the first draft, answer some questions from you fine folks, reveal the competition winner, interview my wife and kids about what this Elite thing means to them and take out a contract on Psykokow.

www.drewwagar.com

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Your kids are funny, Drew!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Really enjoyed the video update, Drew.. you have a very cool family.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Latest update is live...

...A starmap, a starmap! My Kingdom for a starmap!

www.drewwagar.com

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I've just begun reading The Oolite Thread over on the Frontier Forums, started by Drew way back in Sept 2009, and came across this remarkably prescient post.. :lol:
25/11/2011, 5:11 AM
drew

And If Mr. Braben ever wants to get in touch regarding a novella for Elite 4, I'll be happy to have a chat!

Cheers,

Drew.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Yeah, but I'm also on record somewhere in that forum saying words to the effect of "And Elite 4 will never happen..." ;)

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

drew wrote:
Yeah, but I'm also on record somewhere in that forum saying words to the effect of "And Elite 4 will never happen..." ;)

Cheers,

Drew.
Given that Frontier has effectively reset the entire history of the game, this is effectively a reboot (to steal an overused/abused cinematic term) and therefore E:D isn't Elite 4, it's Elite:Dangerous.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
drew wrote:

Cheers,

Drew.
Given that Frontier has effectively reset the entire history of the game, this is effectively a reboot (to steal an overused/abused cinematic term) and therefore E:D isn't Elite 4, it's Elite:Dangerous.
As I have reasoned elsewhere, E:D is actually Frontier 3 (and maybe even then still a reboot; I'm not informed enough about both Frontier and E:D to judge this), and Oolite may well be the only Elite 2 that ever existed. :wink:
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

So let me get this straight.

There was going to be a fourth game after the first game, but the fourth game due to arrive is in fact only the third game and *this* game, despite coming after the third game, is in fact, only the second game.

Is that right? If so, I don't want to be sober.

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Commander McLane wrote:
As I have reasoned elsewhere, E:D is actually Frontier 3 (and maybe even then still a reboot; I'm not informed enough about both Frontier and E:D to judge this), and Oolite may well be the only Elite 2 that ever existed. :wink:
Not really true either. The game is going to be a kind of a mix between the two and it remains to be seen how hardcore fans of either are going to accept it. The main point of clash is the speed limit in space (500m/s) - that will probably not trouble Elite fans, but Frontier fans are somewhat worried (some very vocally so). (Interestingly enough, this limit will not exist in fiction, so that is one clear discrepancy between the novels/stories that are being written and the game. It can conceivably make the battles feel entirely different in the two forms of media.)

Another, perhaps smaller, perhaps bigger, point is that for Elite fans, the universe will be completely unfamiliar while Frontier fans will have more or less clear historical continuum (except for some smallish changes).
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

drew wrote:

There was going to be a fourth game after the first game, but the fourth game due to arrive is in fact only the third game and *this* game, despite coming after the third game, is in fact, only the second game.

No.

Elite was #1
Frontier Elite 2 was #2
Frontier First Encounters was #3
Elite: Dangerous will be #4.

These are the official games.

Unofficially I would agree with McLane and insert Oolite between Elite 1 and Frontier Elite 2.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

JazHaz wrote:
drew wrote:

No.

Elite was #1
Frontier Elite 2 was #2
Frontier First Encounters was #3
Elite: Dangerous will be #4.

These are the official games.

Unofficially I would agree with McLane and insert Oolite between Elite 1 and Frontier Elite 2.
I think Jaz you are (deliberately) obfuscating the chronological order of release and in-game dates of the games with what I thought we were talking about which is the gaming mechanics that makes the games feel like Elite.

Elite was Elite, Frontier and then FFE, changed the game mechanics and the universe in which the game was played and the undepinning history with it. Frontier and FFE are not Elite, they're not sequels to Elite, they're different games that happen to have one of the same developers of the original game involved and have a very tenuous link back to the original. Elite:Dangerous I/we hoped was going to be more like original Elite, but over time, it appears it's sliding more towards the Frontier end of the spectrum. Therefore Elite: Dangerous won't be a sequel to the original Elite, it almost certainly won't even be a sequel to Frontier and FFE, for good or ill, it's going to be another game that tips its hat to its origins and has the word 'Elite' in its title. I hope it will be a great game, I'm desperate for it to be a great game - but I have already accepted that it won't be Elite, I'm glad it won't be Frontier+ either.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

This week the marketing machine is grinding into life... lots of stuff in the works.

http://www.drewwagar.com/

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter