Destination ETA

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] Destination ETA

Post by CommRLock78 »

QCS wrote:
Don't count me neither pro nor contra this change, but I guess it should be easy to cut off top speed of Torus drive to the old value via very small and easy OXP mod?
I like that idea 8) 8) 8) 8)
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Maybe it's just my imagination, but I feel that the sun has been moved a bit farther and to compensate that a speed up is needed to not break core game mechanic of sun skimming. I don't play that much, so my mind could be playing tricks here and I could be totally wrong.

As for the speed up, I don't feel it's out of place at all. It's somewhat logical to get higher speeds when farther away from bodies that cause mass locks. Borks the ETA calculation a bit in the associated OXPs naturally, but then again the ETA is calculated from present speed and as such it's an estimate.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

spara wrote:
Maybe it's just my imagination, but I feel that the sun has been moved a bit farther and to compensate that a speed up is needed to not break core game mechanic of sun skimming. I don't play that much, so my mind could be playing tricks here and I could be totally wrong.
I'm fairly sure you're imagining that. Suns in 1.81 should be in exactly the same place as they were in 1.80, subject as usual to OXP modifications.

It still takes quite some time to get long distances - especially if it's not utterly clear space in that direction, for example if there's something at your destination, and especially if there's something else - even a loose cargo pod - vaguely near half-way. It's possible to disable (or cap) by OXP, either selectively or globally: if there's demand for it I can add a setting for doing this more easily.

I'd argue that it makes it more possible to have long distances in space - ones where the planet or sun goes from a tiny dot to full size - without requiring over an hour of torus travel to see them. Make the sun bigger than "a large planet" (1.81 also removes the size cap on suns and fixes a bug with long distance display of them), and really push it out to twenty or fifty times its current distance, and it'll still be a long trip to sun-skim ... but you'll turn around and hardly be able to see the planet.