Destination ETA

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

barge411
Average
Average

Re: [RELEASE] Destination ETA

Post by barge411 »

Is it possible to move the text away from the bottom edge of the screen, to say about mid way up one edge (left or right).
Otherwise it gets in the way of other messages and flicks on and off.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

barge411 wrote:
Is it possible to move the text away from the bottom edge of the screen, to say about mid way up one edge (left or right).
Otherwise it gets in the way of other messages and flicks on and off.
No, it's a continuously updated console message, so it goes wherever your HUD shows messages. It shouldn't get in the way of other messages though; Oolite's native messages appear for three seconds, and ETA updating is paused for four seconds each time one is shown. If I've overlooked a particular type of message and they're clashing, please tell.
laxori666
Competent
Competent

Post by laxori666 »

Bug report: currently this conflicts with [EliteWiki] Talkative Space Compass. If the ETA indicator is on, then the talkative description is wiped and replaced by the generic one by Destination ETA. I'm not sure which OXP would have to be modified - this one or Talkative Space Compass or both - so I've cross-posted this. Maybe the two can be merged into one OXP? Perhaps would also be more immersive if both upgrades had to be purchased.
laxori666
Competent
Competent

Post by laxori666 »

Well, I liked Talkative Space Compass's names, and wanted Destination ETA to have those as well, so I modified Destination ETA by merging the two, taking the best of both. Seems to work well! It still won't announce targets if Talkative Space Compass is installed so I removed that OXP and now this is my only one. Here is the file in case cim and Wildeblood like it and want to officially propagate the changes.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Have you tested the Updating TSC?
laxori666
Competent
Competent

Post by laxori666 »

spara wrote:
Have you tested the Updating TSC?
Oh nice. I haven't, no. Those are just about all the options I was thinking of adding... I'll check it out, thanks!
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Destination ETA is really great and goes into my pile of must-have OXPs!
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Where's the Destination ETA oxp gone ????

edit Sorry the link at the top of this thread does not work but I did find it on the Wiki. :)

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Destination_ETA if anyone wants it.
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Has anyone been using this with Oolite 1.81? I think the changes to the coordinate system's precision have affected this OXP.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

CommRLock78 wrote:
Has anyone been using this with Oolite 1.81? I think the changes to the coordinate system's precision have affected this OXP.
No, it's changes to the torus drive, which no longer has a fixed speed. The ETA can jump unexpectedly as the speed steps up or down.

In other news, replace the console message with a data source for a custom text dial on the HUD for an improved experience. See my HUD Data - Ship Name if you need a simple example of how to make a custom dial.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Wildeblood wrote:
No, it's changes to the torus drive, which no longer has a fixed speed. The ETA can jump unexpectedly as the speed steps up or down.
I must have missed that in the changelog... I'll have to go over it again. I wonder why that was changed, anyway :?
Wildeblood wrote:
In other news, replace the console message with a data source for a custom text dial on the HUD for an improved experience. See my HUD Data - Ship Name if you need a simple example of how to make a custom dial.
That's a frickin' great idea. I just switched to Coluber HUD the other day from the Deep Space HUD. Looks like I've got some playing around to do 8)
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

CommRLock78 wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
I must have missed that in the changelog... I'll have to go over it again. I wonder why that was changed, anyway :?
To cut down RL time it takes when flying looong distances, the game subtly speeds you up when there's nothing around.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

spara wrote:
CommRLock78 wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
To cut down RL time it takes when flying looong distances, the game subtly speeds you up when there's nothing around.
Except it ain't subtle, and destroys the effect of having long distances.
QCS
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by QCS »

Don't count me neither pro nor contra this change, but I guess it should be easy to cut off top speed of Torus drive to the old value via very small and easy OXP mod?
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Wildeblood wrote:
Except it ain't subtle, and destroys the effect of having long distances.
I agree. I'm a bit of grumpy old man when it comes to changes in the game, and I've even come to really like some of the changes I didn't like at first, but it does ruin the whole long distance thing in space. :roll: