ZygoCinematicSky&Nebulas

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ZygoCinematicSky&Nebulas

Post by Commander McLane »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Smivs wrote:
...I tend to think the star of the system you are currently in is the Sun.
The ASC agrees with you..
Yep. Also, it's called sunskimming. And that's why I think we should stick to one nomer.
Knotty
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Knotty »

Bizarrely Realistic stars came out of a discussion about being more Cinematic :-)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12026
I worked out the colours and density based out of the real night sky (around this Class M planet in this bit of this galaxy), liked the look and stuck with that as a concept. My aim wasn't to make it look more beautiful, just more real (although it did click with people), so there is definably room to make it more "cinematic"
I did toy with changing the nebulas, but seemed like an order of magnitude more work for the oxp, and the default seemed to work quite well, so I left them alone. Kudos for you for doing this!

WildeBlood, Can do a compatible version of Realistic stars for your Stars OXP if there's any clashes. Removing stuff is a lot simpler...:-)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I'm getting the following errors in my log:

Code: Select all

10:39:44.575 [script.javaScript.exception.notDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (zygo_traffic 0.1): ReferenceError: ZUplanProd is not defined
10:39:44.575 [script.javaScript.exception.notDefined]:       ../AddOns/ZygoCinematicSky&Nebulas.oxp/Scripts/zygotraffic.js, line 286.
10:45:29.347 [script.javaScript.exception.notDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (zygo_traffic 0.1): ReferenceError: ZUplanProd is not defined
10:45:29.347 [script.javaScript.exception.notDefined]:       ../AddOns/ZygoCinematicSky&Nebulas.oxp/Scripts/zygotraffic.js, line 286.
10:47:02.249 [script.javaScript.exception.notDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (zygo_traffic 0.1): ReferenceError: ZUplanProd is not defined
10:47:02.249 [script.javaScript.exception.notDefined]:       ../AddOns/ZygoCinematicSky&Nebulas.oxp/Scripts/zygotraffic.js, line 286.
10:48:30.987 [script.javaScript.exception.notDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (zygo_traffic 0.1): ReferenceError: ZUplanProd is not defined
10:48:30.987 [script.javaScript.exception.notDefined]:       ../AddOns/ZygoCinematicSky&Nebulas.oxp/Scripts/zygotraffic.js, line 286.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Thanks JazHaz, this is still WIP, those lines are part of me trying to learn different things with JavaScript, thought I'd commented them out, I'll re-upload. The traffic script adds some more station-aegis activity at first launch, and on a timer so that journeys out from the station aren't so barren, all vessels are added at the Witch-Point and choose between planet, system-star and witching on. I wanted it to seem as close to genuine traffic flow as possible.

@Knotty; Well I didn't mean to say that yours wasn't cinematic, it was just a good word to use to give an idea of what the OXP did, more graphic-novel style than photographic :wink: I like WildBloods idea too, I'll see some point if JavaScript will be able to detect his OXP automatically and let his over-ride what it needs, if I can I'll share it with you, that way we don't need two versions of the same OXP to confuse newbs.

Re-Uploaded http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?lwr0diiw0rbvv3v
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I'm still getting some errors in my log, this is with v1.77 deployment build.

Code: Select all

10:40:02.050 [script.javaScript.exception.notDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (zygo_traffic 0.1): ReferenceError: ZUplanGov is not defined
10:40:02.050 [script.javaScript.exception.notDefined]:       ../AddOns/ZygoCinematicSky&Nebulas.oxp/Scripts/zygotraffic.js, line 230.

10:50:03.839 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (zygo_traffic 0.1): TypeError: this.ZygotrafficTimer is undefined
10:50:03.839 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       ../AddOns/ZygoCinematicSky&Nebulas.oxp/Scripts/zygotraffic.js, line 303.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Hi JazHaz, those errors are where I have been adding ideas that aren't complete and have uploaded the wrong version, I'll re-upload the unbroken version tonight

EDIT:http://www.mediafire.com/?nxp5vtefec3v9lm
First link updated

Also if you want to fix this by hand you can go into the .js and comment out the end of line 230 so it reads..
system.addGroup("trader", ((Math.ceil(Math.random() * 3) +1); //+ (Math.random() * ZUplanGov)));
Eichlan
Poor
Poor

Post by Eichlan »

ZygoUgo wrote:

Also if you want to fix this by hand you can go into the .js and comment out the end of line 230 so it reads..
system.addGroup("trader", ((Math.ceil(Math.random() * 3) +1); //+ (Math.random() * ZUplanGov)));
I've been tracking down an error in my log, and I think you need to move a couple of the right hand brackets before the comment.

system.addGroup("trader", ((Math.ceil(Math.random() * 3) +1))); //+ (Math.random() * ZUplanGov);
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

So it does :) Thankyou!
I'm sure those of you who know what they are doing can fix that without downloading again, I'll be re-uploading sometime soon anyways as I'm adding more detail to some of the nebulas, give me a couple of hours

EDIT:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?aneggdnpw5dvnq6

Bug fixed, some nebulas improved & all slightly more prevalent/impressive, those that were obviously repeating shouldn't be anywhere near as obvious now, I hope, only checked it in three systems, enjoy eye-candy fans! :wink:
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Sorry about the double post but bumping this to the top as it affects the stars currently used in trunk.
Got myself Planet-Fall and noticed these horrid artifacts, if you look closer a lot of the stars have them too, repaired the offenders, links updated..

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?7jegv44a6m96e8d

Also adjusted the brightness and size of the nebulas to make them prettier and a little easier on systems :)

EDIT: nVidia 8600GT with 2gig of RAM
Upon attempting to optimise the png's with PhotoShops' for-the-web options, the problem got a lot worse, adjusting the blackness around the image sorted most of them out but one I had to use another image as the base, then paste the old one on top as I suspected the file was somehow in the wrong format despite altering image modes in PS, but that seemed to solve it.
I suspect some of it may have been triggered by running low on memory as my system and OXP folder are somewhat crammed, but tweaking the images definitely did something. If it reappears I'll know I need more RAM!
Last edited by ZygoUgo on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Hmm... I don't see this effect with the stars in 1.77. ZygoUgo, what system and graphics card are you using?

Is anyone else witnessing these artifacts when in atmosphere with a standard 1.77 install only?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

That's a graphics settings/GPU-memory issue, not a problem with the textures.

That's the way space looks all the time on my laptop, since at least 1.73 or so. Arch Stanton had the same problem recently. See this thread for what he learned about solving it. When I have time, I'm going to see if his fix works for me.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Since 1.77 offers a gamma setting and peoples systems are different anyways, I am posting here to show how these nebulas should be appearing, my gamma is set at 1.2 and this is how they appear in game for me, and hopefully you too..

Single nebulas should only be very faint so that only clusters are bright enough to appear, this is how I intended the OXP to work any hows so I guess this is a bit of a guide to getting what I think is the best effect, as subjective as that is.
They should be nicely mixed together as above, if individual nebulas are appearing strongly I suggest turning down the alpha a few points in the planetinfo.plist, mine is currently set at '"sky_blur_alpha" = "0.0665";' ready for the next upload and should appear as above.
I guess I'm more curious as to how well this translates to other peoples systems so I have a better idea of how to set it for the upload, if it's radically different can somebody let me know please, thankyou! :)
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

I found a problem with a file name.
ZygoCinematicSky&Nebulas.oxp/Textures/oollite-nebula-9.png

should be oolite-nebula-9.png with a single "L". ;)
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Thanks Tichy, had a look and must have got rid of that a while ago, but I've adjusted a few things too, got rid of the star multiplier method as it was causing some systems to be choked with them, tidied up a bit too, adjusted and added a couple more nebulas since then (I think!).
It's hard to tell how these come out on other peoples systems so do let me know if they are too subtle now, I personally play with a gamma setting of 1.2, but that's due to my monitor not being particularily good, so I've no real idea how these are appearing to others currently.
Anyways then, minor update, should look better IMO.. version 1.1.1
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?06vtd5te265cp48
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

:oops: Much apologies :oops: Keep readjusting this but finally I'm happy with the outcome, the last setting was too dark and I have finally given the nebulea a more visible setting without their repetition being obvious.
The star count seems just right too so from now on updates should only include more nebula imagery or additions to scripts :!:
..So without further ado*snip*

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?6ib84ksrbbv029j