Re: Elite: Dangerous - and the return

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: David Braben's Elite: Dangerous - Kickstarter!

Post by Cody »

pagroove wrote:
And Second 'multiplayer' in space just (IMO) sucks because the playable area is too big.
There will be a single-player mode, I believe.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Regardless, has anyone else ever designed an orbital station with towers and buildings attached to the outside of the hull? Not that I'm aware of.. (which is not saying a lot, admittedly)
The sample size is admittedly quite small (...three), but the general trend in orbital stations so far is to not only stick lots of towers on the hull, but to stick additional sub-towers onto the towers.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

drew wrote:
Oolite's eye candy is sorely lacking in a number of areas, which are limits to the 'engine' (such as it is) that the game is built on. There are also significant design compromises based on it being an Elite clone at its heart. Not to denigrate it, but to coin a phrase "If I was going there, I wouldn't start here."
The fact that you've all managed to squeeze as much out of the engine as you have shows a talent for utilising what's there to its maximum potential, which is a skill that a lot of developers these days don't have. It also rather sneakily addresses the issue that Jens (The Artist Formerly Known As Ahruman) brought up about E:D possibly needing a top of the range machine to run on. If the skills of the Oolite contribooters could benefit the E:D development in keeping the requirements as low as possible that would be a good thing...

I never explicitly stated that Oolite was on the bleeding edge of GAME technology, but compared to other Elite clones it's getting close to the pointy bits, and has elements that no other Elite game, be it official or clone, has ever had. And Oolite makes it work very very well.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

cim wrote:
The sample size is admittedly quite small (...three), but the general trend in orbital stations so far is to not only stick lots of towers on the hull, but to stick additional sub-towers onto the towers.
Mmm.. not entirely convinced.. I think we're building modular at the moment because that's the only way we can get the bits up there.. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Selezen wrote:
The fact that you've all managed to squeeze as much out of the engine as you have shows a talent for utilising what's there to its maximum potential, which is a skill that a lot of developers these days don't have. It also rather sneakily addresses the issue that Jens (The Artist Formerly Known As Ahruman) brought up about E:D possibly needing a top of the range machine to run on. If the skills of the Oolite contribooters could benefit the E:D development in keeping the requirements as low as possible that would be a good thing...

I never explicitly stated that Oolite was on the bleeding edge of GAME technology, but compared to other Elite clones it's getting close to the pointy bits, and has elements that no other Elite game, be it official or clone, has ever had. And Oolite makes it work very very well.
Don't disagree that the dev and OXP makers have done wonders, (Particularly Griff from an eye candy perspective). However, personally I don't want E:D to be limited/compromised by having yesterday's PC as a target level of hardware.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

drew wrote:
Selezen wrote:

Don't disagree that the dev and OXP makers have done wonders, (Particularly Griff from an eye candy perspective). However, personally I don't want E:D to be limited/compromised by having yesterday's PC as a target level of hardware.

Cheers,

Drew.
I agree that a new game of course must focus on providing a new experience with new technology. That mentioned I believe that it will be difficult to improve on the Elite concept. A common mistake made by game developers in the past is to focus almost on spectacular graphics only. Of course I expect better by Mr Braben :twisted:

Edited to add: If you look the interview on the Frontier Site you see some interesting views on the monitors behind. Early ingame material?

That said I have a question that is maybe for a seperate topic but I ask it anyway. What way does Oolite go after 1.77. Will it continue to develop on the existing engine or is it time for a new version built from the ground up (a new initiative for an Oolite 2 perhaps ?).
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

When I backed Star Citizen in the back of my mind I did wish it was actually a new Frontier game....wish I'd done the lottery now too :)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Soon to be followed by a prequel, Elite: Mostly Harmless
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Bluefusion
Average
Average

DAVID BRABEN'S ELITE:DANGEROUS DUE 2014

Post by Bluefusion »

Moderator: This post merged from topic of similar subject in Discussion.

Elite dangerous is due 2014

Called Elite: Dangerous, the game is seeking an ambitious £1.25m in funding on kickstarter.

“Elite: Dangerous is the game I have wanted Frontier to make for a very long time. The next game in the Elite series – an amazing space epic with stunning visuals, incredible gameplay and breath-taking scope, but this time you can play with your friends too." Says David Braben.

Read more:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/146 ... ref=search

Best
Jason
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

:shock: Wow fantastic news all I have to do now is decide what level I can contribute.

Also I would be willing to take part in a joint Oolite forum contribution if we can get this organised.

Fund currently at £267,000 :D
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: DAVID BRABEN'S ELITE:DANGEROUS DUE 2014

Post by Shipbuilder »

Moderator: This post merged from topic of similar subject in Discussion.

Bluefusion - Also take a look at the other thread in outworld.

Great news :D
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
Storm
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Storm »

Oh. My. God.

Just happened to look at the Frontier forums and stumbled over link to the official kickstarter.

Talk about making my day!

Pledged! Well attempting to pledge but it's not working for me :(
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Busted the £300,000 mark in 24 hours. That's not a bad day's work in my view.

Kickstarters usually slow down after the first couple of days, though, so fingers crossed that it can keep up the rate of pledges.

I think, having looked at the news last night, that the drive could be badly timed in terms of media attention. The release of Halo 4 has taken over the games news and the US Election has taken over the rest of the news.

Hopefully once the furore from that has all calmed down someone might save a short spot on the news channels for Elite.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Ok I want to run this past the community, because to my mind events have overtaken our fantastic endeavors:

Times they are a changing;
We have always existed on the edges of copyright. In our small way, we have been the torch bearers for Elite, keeping the flame burning as the world moved on. We have build and invested an INSANE amount of time keeping Elite bubbling under the Zeitgeist of popular culture. I fear this is about to change. I fear that without boldly and strongly reminding the creators of this iconic meme that we cared for it, our voices will be lost in a sea of half remembered (but fiscally rich) web nostalgia. Elite is being paid for as we speak and counter to all the rules that have kept us safe over the years it may very well be time to get in on the act.

We are poor, but we are skilled. How else could we write such engaging fiction? How else could we rebuild such a monumental game? How else could we turn it into a living, breathing, visually rich experience that grabs the attention of original AND new players with an eye for the old? How else could we adapt it to be a sandbox that captures the imagination (programming, modelling, embellishing and texturing skills) of many who find there way here?

It is time to come out of the shadows (whatever the cost) to show those who would chart the course of Elite into the future, that we have not only cherished it but have a valid and important say in its continuation.

It's time to send 5 copies of chart 1 to David. AND get as many GOOD people in a position of power (creative forum access) in relation to this newly group funded production.

BUT, this is a democracy. We are free to choose. I would argue if we are to pool resources then the time is now. I can stump up the cost of the charts AND get on the creative forum but I would not risk what has been built without knowing the wider community is behind my actions. We need to discuss access to that creative forum and funding for as many people as possible, but the chart proposal, I leave up to you.

We have a chance to participate, but we may loose much by doing so. This is an unfortunate truth, and one too large to be decided by one man or woman.

I welcome your views on the matter, but remember time is against us.

Kindest regards

ClymAngus
superbatprime
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by superbatprime »

You guys are like kids at Christmas lol.

Elite is legendary, that I do know, this game is a long time coming, that I know too.

I already gave money to Star Citizen (and FTL a while back) but I think I'll throw a few quid at this too, looks like we're entering a new era of space exploration in games.
That makes me very happy.

Only thing, the title... it sucks imo.

"Elite" may be the brand name but it's also a pilot rating in the game and so is "dangerous"... you see what I'm saying?
It's just a bit clunky in my mind.
If it became a trilogy would the 3rd game be called "Elite: Elite"?
Hopefully it's just a working title, but that's just my opinion.

Also what Clym posted above is true, you guys have carried the torch and your ideas and opinions are coming from a much more solid base than just nostalgia.
When I sat down in front of google and asked for a "modern Elite" this game was where it took me.
Be wary of reboots (in all things, movies, games, everything), sometimes they forget the spirit of the original.

Just pontificatin'
So then I says to him, I says "naw dude, Oolite ain't no Space Opera... Oolite is Space Rock and Roll!"