Handy tip for starting the Debug Console in Linux

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Handy tip for starting the Debug Console in Linux

Post by Diziet Sma »

Excellent.. looks like you're all set. 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

I like those ls aliases, by the way, very cool. Did you come up with those Diziet ?
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

<chuckles> I wish!

No mate.. none of that .bashrc is my own work. As I said, it's just the bog-standard (default) .bashrc file. It's been that way for years.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Diziet Sma wrote:
<chuckles> I wish!

No mate.. none of that .bashrc is my own work. As I said, it's just the bog-standard (default) .bashrc file. It's been that way for years.
I thought I'd ask since those ls aliases looked custom ;).

Well, I installed virtualbox 4.2 and - openSUSE VM is connected to internet - for the first time ever :!: Hurray, thanks for the tip there, I think that going with the new version helped, a couple tweaks and I was online :mrgreen:
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

CommRLock78 wrote:
Well, I installed virtualbox 4.2 and - openSUSE VM is connected to internet - for the first time ever :!: Hurray, thanks for the tip there, I think that going with the new version helped, a couple tweaks and I was online :mrgreen:
Excellent news! Don't forget to update the Guest Additions in your openSUSE VM! :wink:
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Handy aliases I use...

Code: Select all

# Aliases
# #######

# Some example alias instructions
# If these are enabled they will be used instead of any instructions
# they may mask.  For example, alias rm='rm -i' will mask the rm
# application.  To override the alias instruction use a \ before, ie
# \rm will call the real rm not the alias.

# Interactive operation...
# alias rm='rm -i'
# alias cp='cp -i'
# alias mv='mv -i'

# Default to human readable figures
alias df='df -h'
alias du='du -h'

# Misc :)
# alias less='less -r'                          # raw control characters
alias whence='type -a'                        # where, of a sort
alias grep='grep --color'                     # show differences in colour
alias egrep='grep --color -E'                 # show differences in colour
alias fgrep='grep --color -F'                 # show differences in colour

# Some shortcuts for different directory listings
alias ls='ls -hF --color=auto'                # classify files in colour
alias dir='ls --color=auto --format=vertical'
alias vdir='ls --color=auto --format=long'
alias ll='ls -l'                              # long list
alias la='ls -A'                              # all but . and ..
alias l='ls -CF'                              #

alias ds='ls -rS -alF --color=auto'
alias dt='ls -rt -alF --color=auto'
alias dv='ls -v -alF --color=auto'
alias dx='ls -X -alF --color=auto'

alias md=mkdir
alias rd=rmdir

alias qq=nano
alias pstree='pstree -Uulhca'
alias linkdead='ps -a | grep "^I.*bash$" - | cut -c5-9 - | xargs kill -HUP'
alias mc='. /usr/share/mc/bin/mc-wrapper.sh'
alias make='LC_ALL=C make'
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Tricky wrote:
Handy aliases I use...
I like those - I also like the comments that have been put in ;). I'm not sure if I'd want to eclipse my rm, mv and cp commands, but it probably isn't a bad idea to be prompted while using them :D.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Tricky wrote:

alias md=mkdir
alias rd=rmdir
I didn't snap at first - these look like DOS commands, if I'm not mistaken - it's been a long time since DOS :lol: (which has bastardizations of Unix and CP/M commands)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

A handy little alias I just now thought of for resizing Oolite screenshots before uploading to photobucket. :D

# Proportionally resize images to 900 pixels wide for Oolite forum
alias shrink='mogrify -resize 900'
e.g. :-
shrink oolite-547.png - for a single file, or
shrink *.png for an entire folder of images.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
A handy little alias I just now thought of for resizing Oolite screenshots before uploading to photobucket.
<looks around - no penguins> I've taken to cropping screenshots for posting, rather than resizing them - I think the image quality is slightly better that way.
Of course, that only works for pics with the hud disabled - but that's how I take most of my pics anyway.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Diziet Sma wrote:
A handy little alias I just now thought of for resizing Oolite screenshots before uploading to photobucket. :D

# Proportionally resize images to 900 pixels wide for Oolite forum
alias shrink='mogrify -resize 900'
Man, you have no idea how long I've wanted an easy way to go about resizing. I'm addin' this one to my list :D
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

El Viejo wrote:
<looks around - no penguins> I've taken to cropping screenshots for posting, rather than resizing them - I think the image quality is slightly better that way.
Of course, that only works for pics with the hud disabled - but that's how I take most of my pics anyway.
I often crop as well.. Ubuntu had a handy little image viewer that could crop.. haven't seen something similar on Mint yet. I might need to dig up the name of the program I used to use and install it.
CommRLock78 wrote:
Man, you have no idea how long I've wanted an easy way to go about resizing. I'm addin' this one to my list :D
I've been using mogrify for ages.. the alias just occurred to me because I was sick of toggling through my bash history to save typing the command from scratch. (Mogrify is an amazingly versatile tool.. read up on it when you have some time..)
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Diziet Sma wrote:
CommRLock78 wrote:
I've been using mogrify for ages.. the alias just occurred to me because I was sick of toggling through my bash history to save typing the command from scratch. (Mogrify is an amazingly versatile tool.. read up on it when you have some time..)
<fires up terminal and types in man mogrify > :D Man, there sure are a helluva lot of options for this utility :)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Diziet Sma wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
I often crop as well.. Ubuntu had a handy little image viewer that could crop.. haven't seen something similar on Mint yet. I might need to dig up the name of the program I used to use and install it.
I finally remembered the name of the program I was using for cropping:- Shotwell. It's pretty basic, but faster and simpler than loading up GIMP just to crop an image. :D
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
I finally remembered the name of the program I was using for cropping:- Shotwell. It's pretty basic, but faster and simpler than loading up GIMP just to crop an image. :D
EV isn't actually a penguin, so I don't think he'll be able to make much use out of Shotwell ;).
I added another alias, it's actually a couple more letters than oolite, but, it will launch the game and exit the terminal, much like your debug alias :mrgreen:

alias ooniverse='nohup oolite & exit'