Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[UPDATED RELEASE] Quirium Mine Detector V1.4 (26/04/14)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: [RELEASE] Quirium Cascade Mine Detector (V1.0)

Post by Eric Walch »

Diziet Sma wrote:
But the more I think about it, it does make sense that it would be a standalone item, basically an extension of the scanner..
The readMe of the missile analyser writes: " The key for recognition of a missile is the exhaust flame of the projectile. " That would mean it can't analyse Quirium mines as they are just dropped and not propelled by fuel. :?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Very good point.. dunno how I missed that! :oops: although I do wonder how a Q-Bomb can have speed and manoeuvrability then..

According to the Wiki:
Quirium Cascade Mine
Maximum speed 1.00 LM
Maneuverability Roll: 2.0
Pitch: 2.0

Nevertheless, V1.1 will be out as soon as I've done some testing. Svengali has pointed out something else I missed as well.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] Quirium Cascade Mine Detector (V1.1)

Post by Diziet Sma »

Version 1.1 is now available to download.

The requirement for the Missile Analyser has been removed, and a sanity check for distance to the player added (thanks, Svengali)

See first post for download link.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Gimbal Locke
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimbal Locke »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Update: Version 1.1 released. Removed dependence on Missile Analyser.
I like this! I tried the Missile Analyser before and uninstalled it again, but a Q-Mine detector comes in handy.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

While Missile Analyser may not be needed for Quirium Cascade Mine Detector to work, the "Scanner Targeting Enhancement" (known internally to the game as "EQ_SCANNER_SHOW_MISSILE_TARGET") should be required.
This is so Q-bombs can be found and targeted.

Incoming missiles can be found without this equipment because missiles are active homers...painting their target with either radar or some other form of detectable emissions. A Q-bomb has no particular target and no reason to emit extra radiation beyond for its set purpose...creating a Q-field.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Very good point. Thanks! 8)

However, doesn't even the basic scanner show the location of a Q-Bomb?
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Diziet Sma wrote:
although I do wonder how a Q-Bomb can have speed and manoeuvrability then..
Because without speed it wouldn't be able to slow down and stop after being ejected, and without pitch & roll it wouldn't be able to tumble.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Diziet Sma wrote:
As far as I know, the scanner/radar does shows the Q-Bomb in an odd color...not the same as a cargo canister or boulder shard.
Either Q-Bombs have their own little very-short-lived IFF beacon or even your ship's basic scanner somehow picks up the Q-Bomb as something odd. Maybe its pre-detonation emissions, like whatever internal chain reaction it has that builds up before creating its big purple sphere of doom.

However to target-and-track a Q-Bomb requires at least the "Scanner Targeting Enhancement". Likewise, I'd expect that to have additional scanning capabilities over the basic scanner which seem more suitable for classifying more precisely missile and bomb types.
Also, this supporting equipment might be needed before you can buy a Quirium Cascade Mine Detector. No point in showing-for-sale what you can't use.

My Misjump Inducer OXP works on similar principles -- even though it doesn't appear to target anything, I considered both "Scanner Targeting Enhancement" and "Wormhole Scanner" to both be prerequisite equipment that have to both be working before Misjump Inducer can be bought or used.
This is partly for game balance reasons and partly for "this just makes sense" reasons.

I have severely cheating auto-jumping equipment that uses misjumps that even requires the Misjump Inducer to work.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Diziet Sma wrote:
doesn't even the basic scanner show the location of a Q-Bomb?
Is does: it blinks between neutral and hostile colour. But in the heat of a fight, you normally miss this and only see the blue sphere after it explodes. :twisted:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Switeck wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
As far as I know, the scanner/radar does shows the Q-Bomb in an odd color...not the same as a cargo canister or boulder shard.
Either Q-Bombs have their own little very-short-lived IFF beacon or even your ship's basic scanner somehow picks up the Q-Bomb as something odd. Maybe its pre-detonation emissions, like whatever internal chain reaction it has that builds up before creating its big purple sphere of doom.

However to target-and-track a Q-Bomb requires at least the "Scanner Targeting Enhancement". Likewise, I'd expect that to have additional scanning capabilities over the basic scanner which seem more suitable for classifying more precisely missile and bomb types.
Yes, the basic scanner does mark the position of a Q-Bomb with a unique colour, so it's safe to say that it already both identifies and locates them. As for requiring the STE, yes, it's useful if one is going to attempt to destroy the Q-Bomb, but not so much if all you wish to do is get away. The STE is described in the Wiki as providing the following features:
  • A target lock box around the selected object.
  • An arrow directional indicator anchored to the cross-hairs.
  • The object's name from the ID computer.
  • The distance to target in km.
  • The object's legal status (if available).
So there's nothing there that is actually necessary for the functioning of the detector. All the detector does is provide two additional means (visual and audible) of bringing it to the pilot's attention. The Readme file for the detector mentions the additional functionality that is provided if the ship has a Target System Memory Expansion fitted. The same could be said for the Scanner Targeting Enhancement. I may add a note to that effect when the Readme and Wiki page is next updated.

I think I've decided, to my own satisfaction at least, that there's no good reason to require any other equipment in order for the QBD to function. All it needs to know is that the scanner has detected and located a Q-Bomb. It then sounds a warning and puts the location in the #1 slot of the TSME if one is fitted. Technically, it could be called just an alarm, not a 'detector'.
Eric Walch wrote:
But in the heat of a fight, you normally miss this and only see the blue sphere after it explodes. :twisted:
Yes, which is precisely why I made the Q-Bomb Detector. :mrgreen:
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

This is a good idea. Nice one. Downloading!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

UK_Eliter wrote:
This is a good idea. Nice one. Downloading!
Thanks! :D

(It can come as a bit of a shock, the first time the siren goes off, as you're usually not expecting it. I suggest people play the siren sound - located in the Sounds folder of the OXP - once or twice to familiarise themselves with it beforehand. That way, valuable seconds aren't lost while the player wonders "What on Earth is that horrible noise?" :lol: )
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Diziet:

I've just had a listen. It is indeed a fairly horrible noise. I've heard worse (although possibly not in Oolite!). I think the lack of utter horror is a good thing! Still, as you say: unexpectedly hearing this could cause considerable, but useless, panic!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

:twisted:

Well, the main goal was to be attention grabbing! :twisted:
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Why the obsessive checking to determine if a spawned ship is a Q-mine?

Code: Select all

if(ship.isMine && ship.AI==="timebombAI.plist" && ship.name==="Quirium Cascade Mine" && ship.script.name==="oolite-default-ship-script")
Surely if(ship.AI==="timebombAI.plist") is all you need? If a replacement ship set uses a name other than "Quirium Cascade Mine", your test will fail and give a false negative. But any ship which has its active AI set to timebombAI.plist will be a Q-mine. Is there any possibility of that simple test giving a false positive?