Oolite in the cloud

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Oolite in the cloud

Post by Eric Walch »

Having now both a new Mac Book to play oolite on and my desktop computer that is also used for Oolite, I wanted to synchronise my versions.

Easiest seemed to use my Synology nas. Since this spring, the nas software also contains a Cloud Station. I created an "AddOns" folder on the nas, put all my oxps in that folder and than subscribed my computer AddOns folders with this one. Whenever I change something in an oxp on one computer, that change also happens on the other computer. So I am sure I always play with the same oxp set on both computers and don't forget to update an oxp on one of them. :)

Just noticed one problem on the lion OS. My AddOns folder is in the library. The libraries are hidden. But, to link the cloud to the local AddOns folder, I had to select it through the file dialog. I did see no way to make the library visible in the file dialog. But, by adding the AddOns folder first to the favorites (on the left), I could select it there and the path to the hidden library was stored.
Commander RazorMouse
Harmless
Harmless

Re: Oolite in the cloud

Post by Commander RazorMouse »

I use DropBox, works like a charm. I play at work sometimes ;-)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day Commander RazorMouse, and welcome aboard! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Eric Walch wrote:
Just noticed one problem on the lion OS. My AddOns folder is in the library. The libraries are hidden. But, to link the cloud to the local AddOns folder, I had to select it through the file dialog. I did see no way to make the library visible in the file dialog. But, by adding the AddOns folder first to the favorites (on the left), I could select it there and the path to the hidden library was stored.
Yeah, it sucks. :-( However, you can open AddOns from the Oolite menu while running, or from the dock icon.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Hello Commander RazorMouse,

Good to hear that there are more ways to realise the synchronisation. I see that it now work already 2 years for me :)

For Oolite 1.80, I had to change things a bit by not synchronising the AddOns folder, but its parent folder, so that also the "managed AddOns" are synchronised.