{UPDATED RELEASE] GalTech Escape Pods

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: {UPDATED RELEASE] GalTech Escape Pods

Post by Diziet Sma »

El Viejo wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
As it means if you eject from a ship moving away from the planet at high speed, you're doomed to drift in deep space forever.
That would be kinda fun - but no, if the player ejects, then they find themselves back at a station after - what is it - ten, twenty seconds?
Well, yes, of course.. but I was just pointing out the hole in Ahruman's handwavium.. :mrgreen:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<nods, grinning> Is it handwavium though? 'Newtonian' stuff does happen, as I discovered when I found myself moving backwards once.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Diziet Sma wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
This was the reply to my query about it.
Ahh.. so the tiny little engine is powerless against the initial vector imparted by the ship it was launched from.. that makes sense. Sorta. As it means if you eject from a ship moving away from the planet at high speed, you're doomed to drift in deep space forever. :twisted:
No, just for quite some time. After all, the escape pod does have a tiny engine, and it does counter the initial velocity.

And did you really never notice that everything gets thrown out of an explosion with a certain velocity? Rule of thumb: the bigger the blast, the faster the debris. Just kill a Thargoid Carrier and watch how fast the hull plates are catapulted out of your scanner range. And those never get slower, because they're unpowered.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Aye.. I have.. but for the pod to cancel the imparted vector, it has to thrust at 180° to that vector, not sideways.. otherwise it's just modifying the vector.. and how many hours of burn does it have before the engine is out of fuel? There might not be enough to cancel out the initial vector and then get about the business of getting to safety.. :mrgreen:

(and yes, I'm just being argumentative for the sake of it :twisted:) :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Diziet Sma wrote:
and how many hours of burn does it have before the engine is out of fuel?
At least this one is easily answered: Elite's/Oolite's ships don't burn fuel in normal flight, as evidenced from your own fuel usage during normal flight (= 0, if you don't use injectors). :wink:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Yeah.. I've always wondered about that.. is there any Canon/handwavium about it?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Yeah.. I've always wondered about that.. is there any Canon/handwavium about it?
I don't know about canon, but I've always assumed that it's some sort of reactionless drive which interacts with the substance of spacetime. There was some musing on it a long time ago here, memorable (to me, at any rate) for Aegidian's comment that
aegidian wrote:
Oolite - normal space - drives burrow through the semi-rigid phlogiston leaving glowing subspace channels that heal at a constant rate, like hot boiled prunes through icy jelly.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Disembodied wrote:
aegidian wrote:
Oolite - normal space - drives burrow through the semi-rigid phlogiston leaving glowing subspace channels that heal at a constant rate, like hot boiled prunes through icy jelly.
Yeah, that has always stuck in my mind too... good old phlogiston!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Ahh.. handwavium it is, then.. :lol:
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

I am very fond of this OXP, I do look forward to further escape vehicles if any are in development.

I wondered if it was possible , that the better the escape pod scooped could in any way be reflected in the insurance/bounty payout on docking ? :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Thought:

How about some battered, broken escape pods - ones that got ejected almost too late - got a bit toasted and/or bashed?

Perhaps these ones have a timer on them - so if you're too slow you don't deliver an insured pilot but 80kg of "food"...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Duggan wrote:
I am very fond of this OXP, I do look forward to further escape vehicles if any are in development. Further escape pod models are indeed under development including a rare but fast luxury pod which will be much more difficult to scoop.

I generally work on one of these additional pods between larger more time consuming projects in order to break things up a little.

I wondered if it was possible , that the better the escape pod scooped could in any way be reflected in the insurance/bounty payout on docking ? :)
I don't know if this would be possible and is certainly outside my area of experience at the moment <waits for one of the scripting boffins to advise>
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Over 100 downloads now so seems to be reasonably popular :D
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"