[RELEASE] System Features: Sunspots and Rings OXPs

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] System Features: Sunspots and Rings OXPs

Post by Switeck »

Duggan wrote:
Am I to follow these instructions within the System Redux oxp or do I have to go into the innards of the game itself?
Neither OXP is the "innards of the game itself". To edit that (which is unnecessary to add rings) would require editing the core game's source code.

You need to edit BOTH the System Redux OXP and edit the systemfeatures-ring.js script in System Features: Rings OXP as well to get rings to appear around a planet added by System Redux.

Since I haven't carefully studied System Redux OXP, I can't tell you what/where in it to alter to add rings to its planets.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Thank you once again for your time Switeck You have provided clarity for the outcome I envisaged which , though not too far removed from yours, remains a little way off . :)

Don't mind me . I am also thinking would not one of these further lend towards the immersiveness.

http://www.pinktentacle.com/images/comet_1.jpg
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

What would I need to do to vary the shape of the Sunspots? They are all the same at the moment. Real sunspot groups on our sun can be a lot bigger, sometimes they can be seen without magnification.

Warning!
Looking at or near the Sun will cause immediate and irreversible damage to your eyes. Eye damage is often painless, so there is no warning to the observer that damage has occurred until it is too late. Do not point a telescope or its viewfinder at or near the Sun. Do not look through a telescope or its viewfinder as it is moving.

cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

JazHaz wrote:
What would I need to do to vary the shape of the Sunspots? They are all the same at the moment. Real sunspot groups on our sun can be a lot bigger, sometimes they can be seen without magnification.
If you have shader support, the sunspots should vary in shape a bit (and change slowly over time). You can get a sunspot group by adding several sunspots near each other, I suppose.

What's really needed is a better fragment shader that can do a bit more variety, and perhaps a larger model for it to work over, but my shader knowledge isn't good enough to put that together.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

cim wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
What would I need to do to vary the shape of the Sunspots? They are all the same at the moment.
If you have shader support, the sunspots should vary in shape a bit (and change slowly over time).
Hmm, I'm not seeing that, maybe its because my sessions are short. And they don't seem to vary over saves.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

JazHaz wrote:
Hmm, I'm not seeing that, maybe its because my sessions are short. And they don't seem to vary over saves.
Try doing

Code: Select all

worldScripts["System Features: Sunspots"]._addSunspot()
from the debug console a few times. If they don't look any different to each other, then check your log file for shader errors.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I did as you suggested.

Debug Sunspots by JazHaz, on Flickr

No sunspots on the sun. No shader errors in the log either.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

JazHaz wrote:
50/50 chance they got added to the other side of the sun. I tend to have to add ten or twenty before I can guarantee seeing a few of them.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

cim wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
50/50 chance they got added to the other side of the sun. I tend to have to add ten or twenty before I can guarantee seeing a few of them.
D'oh! OK try again....

EDIT: Here we go:

Sun with 2 sunspots already, about to add more by JazHaz, on Flickr

Same sun, but with lots more by JazHaz, on Flickr

It seems to work. And the ones near the edge of the sun appear as if they were around the side (though I know that the sun is just a flat image, and not a globe at all). Very nice!

Maybe it doesn't need improving.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

JazHaz wrote:
Maybe it doesn't need improving.
I wouldn't agree entirely.. I think your earlier point about sizes and shapes still stands.. I'd love if they could be made a little more realistic, even though Cim has already done a fantastic job with them..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but this oxp may need a little look see for 1.79,

I can't take a snap shot in trunk however, broadly speaking, the planetary ring does not go behind the planet anymore, rather there is the elipse formed by the planetary ring superimposed on to the planet.

I only mention this for reference to the future release of oolite, it still works fine in 1.77.1.
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Not entirely surprising - the shader for the rings does some very strange stuff. I'll have a look at some point.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Does the sunspots part work with Realistic Stars OXP?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Zireael wrote:
It should do.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

cim wrote:
Zireael wrote:
It should do.
I can confirm it does.. I use Realistic Stars in conjunction with Sunspots and Rings.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied