Naming of (sub) planets

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Which type of planet name do you prefer?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:31 pm

"Lave I", "Lave II", "Lave III" etc.
33%
"Lave Alpha", "Lave Beta", "Lave Gamma" etc.
19%
"Lave-A", "Lave-B", "Lave-C" etc.
10%
"Random" names not linked to the system name.
29%
Something else entirely
10%

Total votes: 21

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: Naming of (sub) planets

Post by Thargoid »

Anyway I just uploaded a second beta of the compass OXP for 1.77.

Still a WIP, but for those who are interested please let me know what you think so far. Works best alongside Cim's Talkative Compass, plus one of the planet/moon adding OXPs (system redux et al).
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

OXP definable sub planet names -- since chances are it'll be an OXP that adds them!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

They already can - the OXP just has to set the .name property of the planet (system.planets[x].name = "myNamehere";). The compass add-on will then pick that up and use it instead of naming them itself. It works for both sub-planets and moons, and will replace the numbered/named version (so for example if the middle of 3 sub-planets was original-OXP named, the others will be "I" and "III").

The Tianve pulsar example is built-in (hence why I asked earlier about specifically named OXP planets or moons - the Assassins ones don't really count as it doesn't make sense that they need specific names). The pulsar is added as a moon, but it gets set up by name as the "Tianve Pulsar".

The OXP already pauses for 0.25s when you first enter the system before doing the naming, so allowing time for all the other OXPs to set up (and name if they wish) their planets.

My handwavium thinking is that the numbered-names (or whatever the final version ends up being) are the Galcop navigation names for them (for want of a better phrase), but they will also have their own original names (e.g. Sol III vs Earth) and if the latter becomes famous or notorious, then it may end up in common use instead of (or in parallel to) the Galcop name.