[RELEASE] Coluber CPV-9333 Pitviper (V.1.0.0)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] Coluber CPV-9333 Pitviper (V.1.0.0)

Post by Diziet Sma »

Captain Beatnik wrote:
I think it is quite laborious an tricky to change the textures of a ship in GIMP having only the ready merged .png-texture file. To simplify the work for all who want to have a custom painted pitviper, I release the original GIMP .xcf file and the original model under a cc-by-sa-licenese. In the original .xcf-file every part of the Paintwork (eg. airlocks, logos, shadows, hull, hulldetails, the eyes and teeth) is on a separate plane and thus it is much easier to make changes. You may download the sources here:

https://www.box.com/s/kohcbcjztwg5zct4vftk

I hope this may be useful. Enjoy! :)
To make things even easier, here is a blank OXP, ready to insert a custom paintjob texture into. It's basically the one I made for the Blackwidow, with the texture deleted and references to the texture and custom name replaced by <insert-shipname-here>. This OXP is based on the Pitviper S.E. model, which has slightly better performance than the stock Pitviper, and 9TC cargo capacity (expandable to 12 TC), as I figure that's the one most people will want. The specs are easily reduced if you prefer the base Pitviper model.

As well adding your custom texture to the Textures folder, you will need to make edits (all clearly indicated) to the following files in the Config folder:
  • shipyard.plist
    shipdata.plist
    demoships.plist
If you wish to buy the ship, rather than simply edit a gamesave, you will need to temporarily change the 'chance' in the shipyard.plist from zero to 1.0. You may also want to reduce the techlevel. After buying it, change the chance back to zero to prevent seeing your custom paintjob for sale.

Download Link
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Diziet Sma wrote:
...Mate, that's just legendary! It would be great if more ship-makers did this!...
Agreed! Think I might publish a new version of the 249th with .xcf files in the textures folder like I had before.
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
Captain Beatnik
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Captain Beatnik »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Just for you, mate.. thanks to Captain Beatnik for making this so easy! 8)
You are welcome! :D

I really like the paintjob of the "Blackwidow". It inspired me to play a little bit with gimp and out came ... ... the Pitviper S.E. "Firewizard"!

If you take a look at the logo (unfortunately it is a bit dark on this picture) you might guess right to which widely known firewizard the ship is dedicated to.

As soon as Mike is back from work and can spare some time I will ask his help to set up a wiki-page for the pitviper. I´m planning to show some custom paintjobs on the wikipage if I get the permission from the authors. So if you want to see your ship on the wiki, please let me know.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
(Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

NICE! 8)

Yep.. more than happy to have the Blackwidow featured. I'll try to get a better screenshot for you.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Well, 7 people have downloaded the blank Pitviper OXP to date.. so come on, are you going to show off your creations? Don't be shy.. :)
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

Looks like this ship oxp isn't present on the oxp list ?

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Captain Beatnik was going to create a page for it, once he enlisted the assistance of a friend of his.. I suspect he's forgotten about it, or RL has interfered. :(

The 'blank Pitviper OXP' has now had 11 downloads. Isn't anyone going to show off their custom paintjobs? :cry:
Captain Beatnik
Deadly
Deadly

Diziet Sma wrote:
Captain Beatnik was going to create a page for it, once he enlisted the assistance of a friend of his.. I suspect he's forgotten about it, or RL has interfered. :(

The 'blank Pitviper OXP' has now had 11 downloads. Isn't anyone going to show off their custom paintjobs? :cry:
No, I have not forgotten about it. As far as I know Mike the wiki wizzard, who made all the wiki pages for my ships, ist still very busy in RL and not back to the BB yet. I will talk to him as soon as he is back.
GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by GGShinobi »

Just noticed that the Coluber is the only uber-ship I know that's not uber! :mrgreen:
忍 knowing that enough is enough, you'll always have enough.

Running Oolite 1.77 on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS
Captain Beatnik
Deadly
Deadly

GGShinobi wrote:
Just noticed that the Coluber is the only uber-ship I know that's not uber! :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I swear I did not have this wordplay in mind at the christening of the ship. :wink:
GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by GGShinobi »

I took the freedom to add a link to this thread to the [wiki]OXP List[/wiki] in the wiki. It is :!: unforgivable :!: that such a fine ship was not mentioned there! :mrgreen:
忍 knowing that enough is enough, you'll always have enough.

Running Oolite 1.77 on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: [RELEASE] Coluber CPV-12375 Pitviper Mk II (V.1.0.0)

Post by Norby »

I uploaded Captain Beatnik's Pitviper Mk II (CPV-12375) into the OXZ manager.
Faster than the original CPV-9333, has better maneuverability and energy recharge rate but less energy and less missile capacity. Can attack small ships by ramming as well. :)

Size (metres, WxHxL) 57 x 52 x 94
Cargo capacity: 12 TC
Cargo bay extension: none
Maximum speed 0.375 LM
Manoeuvrability Roll: 2.8
Pitch: 1.2
Yaw: 1.2
Thrust: 50
Energy banks: 8
Energy recharge rate Very good (4.5)
Gun mounts Fore, Aft
Missile slots 6
Shield boosters available Yes
Military shields available Yes
Hyperspace capable Yes
Available to player Yes
Base price 515000 Cr
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Don't know if you included them, but I made some role updating/balancing earlier. Posted them to the Pitviper II thread: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15069. It's great that someone uploaded it to the manager, it's a beauty.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Diziet Sma wrote:
spara wrote:
I love this ship and hate to see it deprecate. I have done a few tweaks and updated the roles to the current Oolite version (1.82).
Cool.. could you please also work your magic on the original Pitviper?
Never mind.. I've now applied your tweaks to the original.. will be uploading shortly.. it's a crying shame that the Mark II is OXZ'd, and the original isn't.. it's a far better looking model, IMO.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

The updated for Oolite-1.80+ version of the Coluber Pitviper CPV-9333 is now available as an OXZ via the wiki page, or using the in-game Expansion Manager.