[Release] Clear HUD 1.3 and Sniper Sight for Clear HUD

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Clear HUD

Post by Wildeblood »

It seems that other changes I made to my personal copy (it only displays the ETA, not the distance) that I thought weren't relevant, are relevant after all. My version doesn't cause a CTD when Sniper Sight startles it by removing the compass. It's probably because I changed the variable this.compTarget and refresh it every time this.showMessage() is called.

No, it's not that.

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... 79#p184879
Last edited by Wildeblood on Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Wildeblood wrote:
spara wrote:
Green state, distHud on. Switch sniper sight on (target buoy for example). Then state goes to yellow, which normally would cause switch to normalHud, but that does not happen because hud is not distHud anymore. Switch sniper sight off. Sniper sight restores distHud, when it should be normalHud.
I agree with your reasoning (so I tried something else first, which didn't work), but when I actually tried it, that didn't seem to be a problem. For example, in one test I targeted a rock hermit (which has scan class rock, so stays at green alert) and shot it using sniper sight, but it launched a defence ship before it exploded, so then I was at yellow alert. That's the situation you're describing, but it worked okay.
I have done this with a buoy and another ship. Target the buoy and turn the sight on when on yellow. Move away so that the other ship disappears from the scanner. State will change to green, but the distance timer does not start. This is expected behaviour so it's not a bug it's a feature :D.
Wildeblood wrote:
Compass target is undefined when you are docked, whenever the compass is not drawn on the HUD, and when you are in interstellar space.
Got it, thank you for explanation.
Wildeblood wrote:
It seems that other changes I made to my personal copy (it only displays the ETA, not the distance) that I thought weren't relevant, are relevant after all. My version doesn't cause a CTD when Sniper Sight startles it by removing the compass. It's probably because I changed the variable this.compTarget and refresh it every time this.showMessage() is called.

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... 79#p184879
I could not replicate the CTD, but I can see a possible problem. Better fix it before it happens.

I have updated the Aad-hud to version 0.6. I have included your bug-fixes (2x) in to the script. I have also put into practice my "once and for all" solution for hud borrowing oxps. If my script wants to switch the hud, but some other oxp has stepped in, my script steps back and starts a framecallback that waits for the hud to be restored. Once restored, framecallback checks and if needed corrects the hud and removes itself. This should be a generic compatibility fix. I hope.

Tichy, you might want to experiment with the new script for a while and if it works adapt it.
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

spara wrote:
I have updated the Aad-hud to version 0.6. I have included your bug-fixes (2x) in to the script. I have also put into practice my "once and for all" solution for hud borrowing oxps. If my script wants to switch the hud, but some other oxp has stepped in, my script steps back and starts a framecallback that waits for the hud to be restored. Once restored, framecallback checks and if needed corrects the hud and removes itself. This should be a generic compatibility fix. I hope.

Tichy, you might want to experiment with the new script for a while and if it works adapt it.
Thanks. I'll try it soon :)
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Something like this...

Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

wooo! it works :D
ok. I just downloaded the last modified script. I'll try it and release a new version soon. :)

Edit: Updated with new screenshots.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

These are my suggestions for improving the HUD:
- put red background behind the shields and energy bars, so it's obvious when they start to fall, like I did in Wide-Screen HUD:
- make the compass grey, instead of blue, to match the scanner:
- make the scanner a lighter grey - 0.5 0.5 0.5 instead of 0.2 0.2 0.2:
- move the scanner further upward away from the bottom of the screen, even a few pixels would help:
- since you can't shoot anything except rocks at green alert, consider having no cross-hairs at all on the green alert HUD, except for mining lasers.
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

Wildeblood wrote:
These are my suggestions for improving the HUD:
- put red background behind the shields and energy bars, so it's obvious when they start to fall, like I did in Wide-Screen HUD:
- make the compass grey, instead of blue, to match the scanner:
- make the scanner a lighter grey - 0.5 0.5 0.5 instead of 0.2 0.2 0.2:
I like this changes.
I made the scanner lighter only in the red-yellow condition hud. I like to have dimmed controls in green condition.
The red background made the gauges easier to read.
Wildeblood wrote:
- move the scanner further upward away from the bottom of the screen, even a few pixels would help:
- since you can't shoot anything except rocks at green alert, consider having no cross-hairs at all on the green alert HUD, except for mining lasers.
I'm not quite sure about these. I like to have a crosshair even in green condition, to point big targets (stations ot big ships) as soon as they become visible.

I've uploaded a test version:
https://www.box.com/s/n71w6awstb23gf910ydf
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Wildeblood wrote:
- since you can't shoot anything except rocks at green alert
… and rock hermits, and derelict ships, and cargo, and debris, and disabled Thargons, and escape pods … all of which the player may want to shoot for a variety of reasons.
Gimbal Locke
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimbal Locke »

Tichy wrote:
I've uploaded a test version
I'm testing it now. Everything seems to work fine. Thanks a mighty lot!

Looking forward to Wildeblood's integration.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Gimbal Locke wrote:
Looking forward to Wildeblood's integration.
https://www.box.com/s/atezl2jt698phknrdpvc
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

I've just modified the first post with a new screenshot and updated download link.
The testing version is now the "official" 1.2.

@Wildeblood: Can I post a link to your Sniper Sight for Cler HUD in the first post?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Tichy wrote:
@Wildeblood: Can I post a link to your Sniper Sight for Cler HUD in the first post?
Yes, of course.
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Clear HUD and Sniper Sight for Clear HUD

Post by Tichy »

Added. Screenshots updated.
Uploaded a new version 1.2.1 with slightly larger energy and shields gauges. Now I'm quite satisfied with it.

I promise that this is the last update for today :oops:
Gimbal Locke
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimbal Locke »

Thanks guys, this is exactly what I was dreaming of.

I owe you one - if you're ever in Brussels, I'll buy you a Gueuze Lambic!
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Regarding the subject of tracking large targets at con green, the ChupacabraHud's con green compass may make a good reference... The compass goes over the crosshair so precise comp-targeting is easier.
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?