[Release] Penalize Death oxps

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Penalize Death oxps

Post by Switeck »

Flight Log OXP counts how many kills and credits you made in the last few system visits.
Rolling back the game based on its old information could be possible at least as far as kills and credits are concerned.
DeathKnyte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by DeathKnyte »

I think there might be a problem when switching between different positions (saved games), which are "PD"'ed, and those that are not.
Or.... It might have to do with having to have the Autosave option turned on (in the F2 screen).

I had a PD position declared as "Game Over" when I loaded it, even though it had never actually died. I think it might be because I played my older character for a bit, and on him I don't have Autosave on.

Then, I played someone else (who was a PD) and after he died, I found that I was able to just reload him from the normal save and play as if I never died.

This all concerns the Ironman version, as I haven't tried (nor really want to use) the other two versions.

I'm not going to take a chance with my regular positions getting mixed up and have the computer think they are PD types, when they're not, so have since removed this oxp.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have been thinking very hard about this oxp, as it makes the game really fun; more than any other oxp I have tried in Oolite.

Is there a way that you could just simply have a switch in the Game Menu screen (F2), which could be like "Ironman / Hardcore" = On or Off? Or is that screen reserved just for game developers?

If you can do so, then when your position dies, just have the "Game Over" screen you already have in the oxp come up, and that would be that. No more need to program your ship blowing up when launching. No more need to have Autosave turned on. And no more need to have a name preceded with "PD" when starting a new game.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

DeathKnyte wrote:
Is there a way that you could just simply have a switch in the Game Menu screen (F2), which could be like "Ironman / Hardcore" = On or Off? Or is that screen reserved just for game developers?

If you can do so, then when your position dies, just have the "Game Over" screen you already have in the oxp come up, and that would be that. No more need to program your ship blowing up when launching. No more need to have Autosave turned on. And no more need to have a name preceded with "PD" when starting a new game.
To be perfectly honest, and with full respect to the author of the Penalize Death OXP and his effort in creating it, I find an Ironman OXP quite unnecessary, let alone a core-coded game option for that. Users have been able to play Ironman style for ages without any OXP or other external assistance by simply not continuing with the commander that has just been pressspaced, discarding that savefile and selecting "New Game" from the menu. Some self-discipline in order to resist the temptation to continue with the "dead" commander is all that is needed, I think.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

another_commander wrote:
... I find an Ironman OXP quite unnecessary...
Indeed... not saving a commander adds to the challenge. Digressing slightly... what's the handwavium behind a save-file?
Are we talking a clone or some similar device? Maybe there should be a fee for 'saving' a commander? Heh!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

@DeathKnyte: Nice to know, that you've found that playing Ironman makes the game more interesting. I'm with you all the way with this. I have always enjoyed games where death is permanent.

I originally created the first version of this oxp to slap your fingers a bit when you died by taking half of your money away. As a sidekick I created an Ironman version just because it was doable. It's a whole different thing if someone needs it or not. Maybe it helps those who want to play an ironman game but can't resist the temptation to reload. :D.

These oxps are far from perfect because it is really limited what an oxp can do to a savefile. An oxp can set a variable, but thats about it (correct me if I'm wrong :)) It's not possible to force a save so that a save-file could be marked in case of death. So I used the two save options in game, save from menu and autosave. When autosave happens, a variable is marked to penalize. When saved from menu, variable is marked not to penalize. When a save is loaded, the variable is checked and if you've been penalized, you can't launch. There are (at least) two problems in this.

1. You can be penalized, even if you have not died. This can happen, if the gaming session is not ended with a save from menu.
2. Autosave seems to kick in on launch, only if something has changed since the last save. You can set destination, buy cargo and save the game. When you launch, no autosave, so no penalty on death.
another_commander wrote:
To be perfectly honest, and with full respect to the author of the Penalize Death OXP and his effort in creating it, I find an Ironman OXP quite unnecessary, let alone a core-coded game option for that. Users have been able to play Ironman style for ages without any OXP or other external assistance by simply not continuing with the commander that has just been pressspaced, discarding that savefile and selecting "New Game" from the menu. Some self-discipline in order to resist the temptation to continue with the "dead" commander is all that is needed, I think.
I'll have to disagree with this one. In my opinion there should be an Ironman option for those who want to play the game that way. I think that it adds variety to the game by giving more choices of play. It might even introduce ironman play to someone new. There is a reason for this option in Diablo. There is a reason roguelikes are still being played.

Then again, if there are only two players who would like to see it, then it's not worth it. :(
El Viejo wrote:
what's the handwavium behind a save-file?
I like to think the game as a book. You put you book down and the fantasy world simply goes to a halt. Next time, you'll just continue where you left. No handwavium needed IMO. But to reload, that's another thing...