Realistic Stars

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Realistic Stars

Post by Commander McLane »

Knotty wrote:
It is a proper oxp, I played it safe by taking an existing oxp, renaming it, removing what wasn't needed, putting in my plist, zipping it up and uploading.
I've tested it by downloading it and replacing the oxp in my addons folder
I'm not sure what's happening with Duggan, I've only used OoLite on the Mac so don't know how other OS handle the files.
I see. Sorry for being a PITA.

It's fine with all OSs. However, as you know, on Mac OS X the OXP shows up as a package, which looks like a single file. Not every Mac user knows that they can open that package. Therefore they'll never see the readMe. Especially for Mac users it is better practice to not include the readMe inside the OXP. Instead, create a parent folder and put the OXP and its readMe in that one. Then give the instruction to place only the OXP in the AddOns folder, not its parent folder. (Download any of my OXPs as an example.)

For Windows and Linux users packages don't exist. For them the OXP is an ordinary folder which has to be placed inside AddOns.

Switeck's advice is also an important one. Please include a license statement in your OXP's readMe. Strictly speaking, if you don't do that, you're saying that nobody is allowed to download, install, or use the OXP. We're not very formal here, but giving a license that states what a user is allowed to do with your work is a good practice. There is a thread here in the Expansion Packs forum with helpful hints about licensing stuff.
Knotty
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Knotty »

Ok, added a new version, no change to the pList, but added a CC licence, requires.plst and info.plist, with readme in the root of the zip file and within the oxp. Readme is xhtml1.0 transitional, with licence details and Dublin Core meta tags on the header
Also created a Sensible Sun compatible version: https://www.boxcn.net/files#/files/0/f/0/1/f_3568371399
Same as the above, but without the sun distance modifier. Name: Realistic Stars SSC.oxp
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

The link for your Sensible Sun compatible version is broken. It makes me log into my own account, and I can't access your file. :cry:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Knotty
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Knotty »

Thanks
OK, think I've set the permission s correctly this time, try again:
https://www.boxcn.net/s/q3sy1ya7mkbiwblo33sm
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Yep. that one works. Thanks! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Thanks Knotty! This just become part of my OXP folder :mrgreen:
Edit: Thanks too for making it "Sensible Sun" compatible ;).
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Hi Knotty!

Regarding the recent discussion of ambient level I have a suggestion for your nice product.

My monitor is set to darker than average for better blacks and gamma setting is not exist in my integrated HD4000 so I need to use at least 1.0 in ambient level to see anything in the "dark side". I think there are others in the same shoes due to the about 1500 downloads of Realistic Stars in the last 4 months.

The ambient level is in a plist (yet?) with the same problem as hud plists: I can not make simply a new "lightup" oxz with just an increased ambient level if I want your Realistic Stars also due to the random loading order caused by the advanced filesystems: if your comes later then the dark side will "win".

But you can split your oxz into two if you remove this line from the original package and make another "Realistic Ambient Level" (or "The Darker Side" ;)) oxz with this setting and a warning in the description field about the possible too much darkness.
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

In general it might help, if the wiki page attributed to an OXP would explain a bit more what the OXP technically does. Then you could easily manipulate some entries as you wish.
Instead many OPX entries in the Wiki offer a nice long background story which is nice to read but in fact quite useless.
(I dod not check the entry for realistic stars)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Norby wrote:
Hi Knotty!

Regarding the recent discussion of ambient level I have a suggestion for your nice product.

My monitor is set to darker than average for better blacks and gamma setting is not exist in my integrated HD4000 so I need to use at least 1.0 in ambient level to see anything in the "dark side". I think there are others in the same shoes due to the about 1500 downloads of Realistic Stars in the last 4 months.

The ambient level is in a plist (yet?) with the same problem as hud plists: I can not make simply a new "lightup" oxz with just an increased ambient level if I want your Realistic Stars also due to the random loading order caused by the advanced filesystems: if your comes later then the dark side will "win".
I think you may have to go the same route that I did with the Alternate_BGS_customsounds_for_Halsis patch.. create a patch file for Realistic Stars.
Knotty
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Knotty »

I do specify some of the changes in the oxz list, with more detail on the wiki page, although not every setting
I'm not in a position at the moment to make any changes as I'm not at home, and I'm supposed to set a good example and not install games on the work computer... :-)
The oxp has the same files and is linked to on the wiki page, which would be easier to edit if you want to customize it in the mean time
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Knotty wrote:
I'm supposed to set a good example and not install games on the work computer...
I've heard tell that Oolite runs happily from a thumb-drive.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Cody wrote:
Knotty wrote:
I'm supposed to set a good example and not install games on the work computer...
I've heard tell that Oolite runs happily from a thumb-drive.
evil.evil evil!! lol
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Knotty wrote:
easier to edit if you want to customize it in the mean time
LightsUp OXP can override the ambient_level in packages installed within the manager if somebody unzip it into the AddOns folder, but no point to make an OXZ from it.

If you remove this setting from your package then I can make some OXZs with different settings and conflicting each other, which is maybe the best for 1.80.

For the future I think the best place is the F2 options. Developers: is this possible or not?
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Thanks to the fast reaction of devs the darkness is solved by [wiki]Headlights[/wiki], at least from Oolite 1.81.
Knotty
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Knotty »

Brilliant!!! (quite literally) :-)