[RE-RELEASE]Buyable map OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Buyable map OXP withdrawn

Post by Eric Walch »

cim wrote:
You can store that quite compactly if you need to: a string of 2048 characters either 0 or 1 will only be 2k in the save file
I thought we were dealing with the off-spring of Elite. Than you can't call it compact. A true eliteer would use bits like in this piece of code
cim wrote:
(and you could compact it by more than that by using more than 0 and 1, of course, at the cost of simplicity)
Ah, I reacted to soon. :P At least you don't have to re-create the code. Some handlers are renamed though since this was published.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Buyable map OXP withdrawn

Post by Wildeblood »

Eric Walch wrote:
cim wrote:
You can store that quite compactly if you need to: a string of 2048 characters either 0 or 1 will only be 2k in the save file
I thought we were dealing with the off-spring of Elite. Then you can't call it compact. A true eliteer would use bits like in this piece of code
Ahruman or Eric have posted that code several times, but I've yet to see anyone use it in a public OXP. More recent versions can be found somewhere in the scripters' cove thread, and somewhere in the discussion forum, when I first enquired about the possibility of Explorers' Club, several months before Commodore Murphy implemented it the bloated way.
Eric Walch wrote:
cim wrote:
(and you could compact it by more than that by using more than 0 and 1, of course, at the cost of simplicity)
Ah, I reacted too soon. :P At least you don't have to re-create the code. Some handlers are renamed though since this was published.
Such as this:-

Code: Select all

this.willEnterWitchSpace = function(cause)
{
    // Hmm, this is silly. There should be a "playerEnteredNewGalaxy" message.
    if (cause == "galactic jump")
    {
        this.loadBits()
    }
}
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RE-RELEASE]Buyable map OXP

Post by spara »

Hello.

I think i have corrected the major flaws that made me very unhappy :wink: . The first post is updated with a revised story and a new version of the oxp.

In a nutshell:
- Unknown systems are marked to be TL1 anarchy hi-tech.
- For 30 cr you can update the short range map (<7LY) on main stations.
- For 1000 cr you can buy the full map (only in >TL11 main stations). You'll need a map per galaxy.
- If you try to view the info screen of an unknown system, you will get a mission screen saying you can't.

I didn't implement that cool savegame copression suggested. I might come back to that later. :D

Cheers.

Update. A small bugfix. Apparently launch from station does not trigger viewchange, so full map restore was not done. Fixed in version 0.3.1.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: [RE-RELEASE]Buyable map OXP

Post by Cholmondely »

Wiki page now up: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Buyable_map

This seems to be broken with the newest versions of Oolite. Works fine with v.0.77.1 though...
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?