Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Wiki-ed

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

Oh dear MonsignorMurgh! You didn't eat a vegi burger @ Delhi Station did you? Been there done that, feel your pain... :evil:

Get Well Soon & remember only eat fully cooked vegetables (as I was advised by a wisened Tibetan Herbal doctor in Dharamsala... ;)
Team Zorg are Go!
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

:shock: oh no. haven't had a veggieburger since London. I'm pretty careful, although I was bullied once into eating street chaat. Image

I'll get test results tomorrow so I won't speculate, but feeling considerably better now, and can bear to sit for more than 3 minutes at a computer. eventually I'll do right by the Space Rickshaws.
The man next to you is your lunch
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

eeeeuuuuurrrrggghhh...

here, murgh, that 'smilie' is the visual equivalent of TMI (too much information) ... :shock:

...but get well soon, anyway
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

sorry to any sensitive souls.

became much better, enough to revamp the space rickshaw. so I'll add a wiki entry under its real ship name, 'Frog'.

[ed]
and there it is.
for you JonnyCubaJee.
Galileo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Galileo »

IMO, Oolite needs more missions (and I think we would all agree on that). To help make that happen I'd like to propose using the wiki for collaborative OXP projects. I've made an example project page for the Ionics OXP here. Have a look and tell me what you think.

One of the main reasons I thought of this is the need in this sort of project for a version control system so people aren't editing obsolete files. If Winston doesn't mind the extra bandwidth being used, a plist collaborator could download the current file, edit it, then upload the new version with a description of the changes. I don't even know if this is really possible and plists aren't an allowed upload ATM so I can't test it.

Thoughts? Objections?
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

The Wiki is probably best for documentation and discussion of what's happening (and of course so that players can get information on the OXP). For the actual plist storage, it would possibly be better to use Subversion which is a source control system (the one used for the Oolite source). There are several approaches to this; we could set up a project on berlios.de, set up a repo on thor (Giles's SVN server) or I could set one up on vexed3.alioth.net. Setting up a project on berlios.de is probably easiest as then you've got all the web-based stuff to administer it. If it's not suitable for belios, I don't mind setting up a few accounts for svn+ssh access on vexed3.alioth.net.

The bandwidth on the *.alioth.net servers is generally not a problem, they have plenty.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

it's a good idea, Galileo.

Has lots of potential.
Galileo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Galileo »

Thanks Rxke but I think Winston is right, berlios is probably the best place for it. I don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place. The wiki would be a lot of hassle compared to using SVN. I just need to think of a better name first as Ionics is shaping up to be a relatively minor player in the storyline.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

yes, I understand the wiki is not the best place, but I wanted to say the way you set ip up there looked very inviting to work on existing WIP OXPs.

An easily accessible frontend like that would make it a lot easier to set up scriptideas and work them out... This is something TionislaGY could use.
Galileo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Galileo »

Yeah, I agree. I'll leave the wiki page there and add a link to the berlios project page.
Galileo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Galileo »

winston wrote:
There are several approaches to this; we could set up a project on berlios.de, set up a repo on thor (Giles's SVN server) or I could set one up on vexed3.alioth.net. Setting up a project on berlios.de is probably easiest as then you've got all the web-based stuff to administer it. If it's not suitable for belios, I don't mind setting up a few accounts for svn+ssh access on vexed3.alioth.net.
I applied for a project on berlios.de but it was rejected 'cause they don't want anymore games on there ATM, apparently. So if you could set it up on alioth that would be great.

I think I'd like to work on Arexack & Murgh's Wreckage.oxp for now as it's more suitable for collaboration IMO. Cheers. :D
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

yes the wrex.oxp (new sugg.title) surely could welcome a helping hand. :D
of all the end product wreck models, A_H has only finished a few, and some are just ad hoc placeholders for now. watch for a statement from him what is TODO, modelswise..
hopefully I'll sort out the plists over the next coupla days.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

As I have stated repeatedly: All models could use additional wrecks.

But the cobra's and the boa2, the python-bd, viper and moray-med-boat are model-poor ATM
(i.e. have unmodified rusted hulls as model or another ships model or none).

OXP-added ships need wrecks too in some cases.
(small wreckage will still spawn as would alloys for all vessels)
Riding the Rocket!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Winston - mind if I make a change to your Cobra Mk III entry in the Wiki?

I would like to change the following:
Cowell & MgRath are not noted for their engineering prowess, indeed, their engineering is decidedly average in most areas and sub-par in others. The successor to the original Cobra was supposed to be the Cobra Mk.II, except each of the conforming prototypes failed in flight, leading to an enormous wave of bad publicity. The company went back to the drawing board - or rather didn't - the Cobra Mk.III is substantially a Mk.II with the engineering and design flaws corrected. The company was accused of covering up the fact that the Mk.III was really just the Mk.II in all but name, and the Lave authorities investigated the company, threatening to revoke its ship manufacturing license. The investigators discovered no foul play, and the company recovered from the bad publicity magnificently (as shown by the popularity of the Cobra Mk.III).
To:
Paynou Prossett and Salem, the original designers of the Cobra Mk I, filed for bankrupcy following bad publicity after the failure of successive Cobra Mk II prototypes. They were bought out by Cowell & MgRath, who redesigned the structural and internal layout from the ground up whilst retaining much of the external design features. The Cobra Mk III is substantially a Mk II hull with the internal structural engineering and design flaws corrected. When this became public knowledge, Cowell & Mgrath were accused of covering up the fact that the Mk III was really just the Mk II in all but name, and the Lave authorities investigated the company, threatening to revoke its ship manufacturing license. The investigators discovered no foul play and, more importantly, no evidence of any design issues with the new ship, and the company recovered from the bad publicity magnificently (as shown by the popularity of the Cobra Mk.III).
My reasons for this are manyfold...the main one is that I have approached the manual's ship guide section from the perspective of a CMG shipyards staff member...also, a corporation with a troubled past probably wouldn't have been given the contract to supply ships to GalCop pilots. At least in my mind...
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

Selezen wrote:
...also, a corporation with a troubled past probably wouldn't have been given the contract to supply ships to GalCop pilots. At least in my mind...
I guess you haven't worked for government then :-)

If it fits the manual better, change it (but I have been referring to the original game's manual for some of the names in the back story).