New range of turrets

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: New range of turrets

Post by Wildeblood »

Eric Walch wrote:
See for example the seedy space bar in RandomHits. The thrust is also an important parameter for turrets. For turrets, this shipkey is misused to set a rotation speed. I remember the turrets in the seedy space bar being quite jumpy. By lowering the original high thrust values from Little bear, their movement became much more realistic.
Useful information, thanks Eric. I really dislike the way turrets jitter about, and have removed them completely from the Black Monks' monastery for that reason.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Pleb wrote:
BTW - that WonderWorm looks like a challenge to shoot down...really small and firing that many turrets at the player would surely result in instant death?! :lol:
As far as I know, nobody has ever managed to kill an NPC Wonderworm (except Okti who cheated managed this by using 'special equipment'. Apparently three Energy Bombs and a full blast of Military Lasers is all it takes! :wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Smivs wrote:
As far as I know, nobody has ever managed to kill an NPC Wonderworm (except Okti who cheated managed this by using 'special equipment'. Apparently three Energy Bombs and a full blast of Military Lasers is all it takes! :wink:
What about a Nova Bomb? :twisted:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Pleb wrote:
Smivs wrote:
What about a Nova Bomb? :twisted:
Try it...it might work :) Mind you, they are jump-capable, and of course coming from the future they probably know what you are going to do anyway. :wink:
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Thanks for the feedback gents I'll look in to all of this when I have finished the ship I am currently working on and probably issue 2 or 3 turrets to get the ball rolling.
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Shipbuilder wrote:
...and probably issue 2 or 3 turrets to get the ball rolling.
<Smivs thinks there is a pun hiding in there somewhere :) >
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Smivs wrote:
Shipbuilder wrote:
...and probably issue 2 or 3 turrets to get the ball rolling.
<Smivs thinks there is a pun hiding in there somewhere :) >
It would probably be something poor and to do with ball bearings. :(

Talking of which, did you hear about the new, better, mousetrap? The Ball Bearing Mouse Catcher?
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Smivs wrote:
>Chough< You must have forgotten the two I baged in my S9 (did I ever say I love that ship!) during the final testing :wink:

Takes a long time four military lasers and a full tank of injecting juice! I was also firing some heavy DU rounds at it but not sure I even got one hit with them.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Ha, yes, must have forgotten. Sorry :D
I know the closest I came was a titanic battle that lasted almost an hour, and I'd actually got the bugger throwing sparks when my fuel ran out :( He just legged it and was never seen again.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Shipbuilder wrote:
Thanks for the feedback gents I'll look in to all of this when I have finished the ship I am currently working on and probably issue 2 or 3 turrets to get the ball rolling.
This is a great idea to have different turret models Shipbuilder. I have a recommendation/request for the implimentation of this. 4 models of turrets each with a different size. These would be sized suitable for placement on the ship's normal weapon position where the laser would normally be. 1 to 3 would be suitable for use on the regular ships and number 4 would be for capital class sized ships. If you make the models I will eventually have a use for them. :wink:

And if you wanted to make a quad mount turret like that used for the millenium falcon on star wars, well, I would be very interested in that as well. :)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

I have a little bit of work to do in order to get my next ship OXP ship issued but this should be ready within a week or so. Once done however I plan to look at producing the first batch of turrets. It will probably be something that I will also come back to between larger projects from time to time in prder to extend the range.

@ Commonsense - Regarding the quad mount turret are you looking basically for that particular turret or just a turret based on similar principles ?

Regarding the different size turrets I'll have a think. I may provide different sizes or alternatively may produce a 'standard' size turret and include a model size converter in the oxp.

CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Shipbuilder wrote:
I have a little bit of work to do in order to get my next ship OXP ship issued but this should be ready within a week or so. Once done however I plan to look at producing the first batch of turrets. It will probably be something that I will also come back to between larger projects from time to time in prder to extend the range.

@ Commonsense - Regarding the quad mount turret are you looking basically for that particular turret or just a turret based on similar principles ?

Regarding the different size turrets I'll have a think. I may provide different sizes or alternatively may produce a 'standard' size turret and include a model size converter in the oxp.
:D

I was thinking it would be an interesting challenge to make a working quad turret that looked and acted just like the star wars one but with very limited range. It would have to be sized big enough to actually see that an npc has one and would fire custom mock-up lasers(x4) in groups of 2. It would be the cherry on the cake to get that one working.

About the sizes of turrets, the smaller size should be an indicator of less damage/range/or capability than the bigger ones. If they look good in all sizes then the same model scaled up or down in size could be used. Just be aware that for looks, they should look good attatched to large freighters like pythons or smaller fighter-traders like the cobras1's and 3's and when positioned at or near the normal weapon position should also look good for size relative to the ship. The stock ballturret is a little big for normal ships so that size would be appropriate for capital ships and normal ships would therefore need turrets smaller than that.

I'm sure whatever you come up with will be very cool and many in the commoonity will find a use for them. :D
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

Hi Shipbuilder,

I'm replying on this thread a bit late, but perhaps you might take a look on how the turrets have been implemented in The Dark Rainbow.

The DR's implementation demonstrates some of the concepts discussed in this thread - different textures, different rates of fire, different sizes, and also the stationary+rotating combo mentioned by Eric Walch.

Most, but not all of these features, are inherited from the NeoCaduceus OXP.

Oh, and BTW - the DR's shipdata.plist is coded in some pre-historic fashion whose official naming I can't remember right now. :mrgreen:

Cheers :lol:
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Thanks sdrubble I'll have a look at this in the near future. :D

Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Commander McLane wrote:
Just for clarification: there is not really a "standard" turret, because none of the original ships have turrets. The first ships that had turrets were the Behemoth, from Aegidian's equally named OXP, and the Military Station, also from Aegidian (not sure which came earlier).

Many ship designers added turrets to their creations afterwards, and many of them did so by using the model by Aegidian. However, many of them forgot to actually include the model and textures in their ship OXPs, thus their ships only got turrets if the player happened to have Behemoth.oxp installed as well. Because this was a common mistake, at some point it was decided to include Aegidian's ballturret in the Oolite distribution as a courtesy for lazy/confused ship designers.

This doesn't mean that it's the only existing turret, though. In fact, a couple of alternative turret designs have come up over the years, for instance the thargoid turret from Thargorn_Threat.oxp, which is also used (in a magnified design) on the Thargoid Carrier. There's also the turrets for Seedy Space Bars and Black Monk Monasteries, to name a few.
Does anyone know the size of Aegidian's ballturret included in the Oolite distribution ?