Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

New range of turrets

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: New range of turrets

Post by Shipbuilder »

I have no experience designing stations, (Though I do intend to have a go at one or two at some stage), so don’t know exactly what is involved.

Having said that if you are still struggling with the vertical section in the 3D model let me know and I will have a go at sorting it out for you.

Regarding the size of the docking port I suggest if you can advise which panel/panels you want to form the bay from we can check the size and amend the model scale to suit.
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

I wanted to have the dock near the back of the station, which I know creates a problem as the model has a 'ridge' at the back, so perhaps I should try and create an addtional part at the back that comes out slightly, and then cut a hole of 192x64 so that the dock can fit in there? The alternative would be to enlarge the station and perhaps put the dock on one of the panels next to this 'ridge'?
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Pleb - Regarding your second suggestion in order to get a flat surface large enough for the docking bay have a look at the following. Any questions let me know.

1 Open Wings and select the entire model.

2 Right click and select scale uniform.

3 Press tab and type 120 i.e. for a increase in size of 20%.

4 Press space to deselect all.

5 Select the panel shown in the picture below.

6 Right click and select flatten.

7 Select Z

You should now have a station 20% larger than previous with a vertical flat panel measuring 196m wide and 82m high
. :D

Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Okay I've tried and failed... :( I just can't seem to get my dock to actually appear inside the station!

I've also tried to cut a hole in the station to no effect - it has a hole in Wings 3D but doesn't come up in the game for some reason...

Ignore the green space, I modified the code in this version so that the planetinfo.plist can be used to change the colour of the space background and I keep forgetting to reset it back to black.

EDIT: Okay I was being stupid and forgot to export wings 3d model to obj before converting into dat, so it was still same model haha! So I've managed to get my dock into the station now...

Only problem is there's a bit of a gap around the hole! Not quite sure how to fill the gaps bit I'm getting there. :twisted:

Think the gun has shrumk in length though...just as well its being guarded by these Frigates... :lol:
Last edited by Pleb on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Pleb wrote:
Only problem is there's a bit of a gap around the hole! Not quite sure how to fill the gaps bit I'm getting there. :twisted:
Work out what the coordinates of the vertices for the hole should be, then move them there. (To move a vertex to precise coordinates, select just the one vertex, then use Absolute Commands → Move.) Alternatively, model the docking bay as part of the station geometry and use an invisible docking port model.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Ahruman wrote:
Pleb wrote:
Work out what the coordinates of the vertices for the hole should be, then move them there. (To move a vertex to precise coordinates, select just the one vertex, then use Absolute Commands → Move.) Alternatively, model the docking bay as part of the station geometry and use an invisible docking port model.
Ah thank you Ahruman I will try this and see if I can close up the gaps.

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Ahruman wrote:
Alternatively, model the docking bay as part of the station geometry and use an invisible docking port model.
Here is a mesh that has the same dimensions as dock-flat.dat but is completely invisible: http://jens.ayton.se/oolite/files/ahrum ... k_flat.dat
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

If not, there's always this option:
http://www.emmaclarke.com/media/7008/mind-the-gap.mp3
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Pleb - It does look as though the gun may have shrunk a little.

If you would like to scale it back up and don't know how to do it let me know.

Your orbital turret is looking good by the way. :wink:

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Shipbuilder wrote:
well it is cold in space after all.. :lol:
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Shipbuilder wrote:

If you would like to scale it back up and don't know how to do it let me know.

Your orbital turret is looking good by the way. :wink:
Thanks Shipbuilder, I will have a go at it and if I get stuck I will no doubt be asking away! :lol:

Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Griff wrote:
Shipbuilder wrote:
well it is cold in space after all.. :lol:
I was also thinking along these lines when I wrote the reply (I even deleted my first attempt and rewrote it) :lol:

Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Alright alright, back on subject as I don't want a moderator to split this topic into a new one called 'Size of Pleb's Gun'... :lol:

I'm not to sure about the texture, I simply took the one you have before and cut the black bits out and pasted over an image the same size of a metalic texture. I'd love to put maybe a logo on the side but considering how complicated the texture is this might be beyond my skills. I do like the texture on Wildeblood's version but there are bit where it doesn't look like it matches up very well, which is what I liked about mine as its simplistic enough not to show up as much.

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Pleb wrote:
I do like the texture on Wildeblood's version but there are bit where it doesn't look like it matches up very well, which is what I liked about mine as its simplistic enough not to show up as much.
It's Simon B's Alien-hull, a.k.a. Neolite Dodo texture. I made no attempt to make it fit, I just dropped it on to show shipbuilder what I had in mind when I opined it should be "shiny and gold, nothing subtle". I think it worked well on the gun, not so much the ball.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

So I've managed to plug the gap and now have a docking bay in my giant boob nipple gun station. I have tried to make the gun larger, but its hard to select just the gun and not everything else. I also need to pt flashers on my station but I've never even attempted this before. They need to go on the docking bay and maybe a few on the outside of the station. If I manage to get this done I will post another screenshot. 8)