Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How to pronounce Oolite?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: How to pronounce Oolite?

Post by Pleb »

Colonel Wasabi wrote:
You must have strong arms to do that, Mr Pleb !

Anyhow....I thought the fiance would want to know how to pronounce it before they get married so she can shout the name properly like my missus does at the moment..... "YOU LOVE THAT OOLITE MORE THAN ME !!!!"
:lol:
Indeed, I can juggle people and computers at the same time, a great achivement! :lol:

And strange enough I believe that sentance has been used more than once at home...
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Faulkman
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Faulkman »

This is going to sound a bit idiotic, but I downloaded a mod that added some robotic lady voice (NOT the built in voice I'm pretty sure) ramble some random things at the start up of the game. I think that's the MilHUD voice... Hm... now that I think about it, I have no idea where that came from - but she said "OO-light" so that's how I always though it was pronounced. However, logically, it would be "oo-LEET" because of "ee-LEET."

Also, I've always said Lave to rhyme with pave, or save, or cave, or knave, or gave...
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Its oo-light for me too, but that is probably due to me first coming across the word in it's geological context in school, well before Oolite the game existed, and that pronunciation has stuck. For some reason I found the word strangely attractive back then.

On a slightly different note do folk think of the word 'Ooliteer' (OO-Lit-Ear) if looking for a term to describe the habitual player/OXPer of the game? This doesn't work as 'Eliteer', but it's always been the first descriptive term that entered my head for players of Oolite, and again is a word that is just plain attractive, but I don't think I've seen it used by anyone else.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Gimbal Locke
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimbal Locke »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
On a slightly different note do folk think of the word 'Ooliteer' (OO-Lit-Ear) if looking for a term to describe the habitual player/OXPer of the game? This doesn't work as 'Eliteer', but it's always been the first descriptive term that entered my head for players of Oolite, and again is a word that is just plain attractive, but I don't think I've seen it used by anyone else.
Oolitist, like Elitist.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
I use the term 'Ooliter' only because I couldn't think of another term to call it! :lol:
Gimbal Locke wrote:
Oolitist, like Elitist.
Haha! I like this though, maybe this would be a better alternative? :P
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!

Post by Geraldine »

Interesting discussion :)
I always user the term "Ooliter" to only describe players of the game Oolite and Elitists to describe fans (or just "Elite fans") of all the original games and their respective re-makes. A catch all term if you like. To me at least, "Elitists" are further sub-divided between "Hardcore Elitists" (fans of the original wireframe" Elite or Oolite on strict mode), "Elitists" (fans of the later Elite 1 games and Oolite with all the oxp bells & whistles enabled), "Hardcore Newtonian Elitists" (fans of FE2, FFE3 and their re-makes who fly in full manual mode everywhere) and finally "Newtonian Elitists" (fans who use the auto pilot a lot in FE2,FFE3 and their re-makes). Personally I think of myself as an "Elite" fan, which to me means that I love all the Elite games including the re-makes Oolite, Pioneer and FFE3D. They are all good and even better, all good in different ways :wink:

I think many people jump somewhere between these. I know I do. Sometimes needing a full on "pure" experience, so Oolite on strict mode or firing up a Beeb or C64 emulator will only do, other times, I need a physics fix, so out comes one of the Miggys for Frontier or the PC for Pioneer or FFE3D And finally, I just want to play a nice space sim with minimum fuss, so Oolite (stuffed to the brim with oxps) or Pioneer & FFE3D using the auto pilot does just nicely 8)
Geraldine
Elite IV Is Released. Now Keeping The Faith in Oolite, Pioneer & FFE3D :D
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
Its oo-light for me too, but that is probably due to me first coming across the word in it's geological context in school...
I thought that oolite (the rock) was pronounced o-o-light?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

El Viejo wrote:
According to my Oxford English Dictionary, it is oh-a-lyt where "oh" is as in "no" and "a" is as in "ago" and the "y" is as in "my"
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Cody

Post by Cody »

SandJ wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
According to my Oxford English Dictionary, it is oh-a-lyt where "oh" is as in "no" and "a" is as in "ago" and the "y" is as in "my"
Heh, thanks! I wonder how the residents of Oolite Road in Bath pronounce it?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

El Viejo wrote:
Oo-arr-loyt, moi loverrr. :D
Last edited by SandJ on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

El Viejo wrote:
I wonder how the residents of Oolite Road in Bath pronounce it?
Heh, cool address :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

SandJ wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
I had a US lecturer at Uni who pronounced it that way with 2 very definite syllables in oo, but my original teacher in school was Cornish (as am I) and is was just an extended oo (as in you). But I don't think the Cornish can be relied on for definitive correct pronunciation..... :wink:
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

El Viejo wrote:
It's spelled "Oolite" but pronounced "Throat-Warbler Mangrove" :D
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
Colonel Wasabi
Competent
Competent

Post by Colonel Wasabi »

SandJ wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
Oo-arr-loyt, moi loverrr. :D
That made me spray G&T all over my keyboard !
Reminded me of the checkout lady in Gateway round the corner from my student house in Bristol....