Dull ship design challenge: the box van

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Dull ship design challenge: the box van

Post by Pleb »

Image This one should be made into a ship. As it is, wheels, bumper, headlights, windscreen and especially the Fed Ex logo! :mrgreen:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Pleb wrote:
Image This one should be made into a ship. As it is, wheels, bumper, headlights, windscreen and especially the Fed Ex logo! :mrgreen:
And, come to think of it, why shouldn't a spaceship, that is only ever used between main stations, not have wheels to aid docking? On "top", "bottom" and "sides".
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

SandJ wrote:
And, come to think of it, why shouldn't a spaceship, that is only ever used between main stations, not have wheels to aid docking? On "top", "bottom" and "sides".
Kind of like a landing gear then? I know Frontier and FFE had landing gears, because I'd always forget it was up/down and it would look funny flying through space with a 'leg' sticking out of the bottom of the ship. I'm not sure how practical wheels would be on a ship, but you could always put some of these on the wheels:

Pimp my Ship!
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Pleb wrote:
Kind of like a landing gear then?
Exactly like landing gear - partly to protect the space station and partly to protect the ship. No more scraping along the sides of a Rock Hermit's dock (but maybe more like bouncing about like a cork in a bottle!)
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

SandJ wrote:
No more scraping along the sides of a Rock Hermit's dock
Ah so I'm not the only one who sometimes does this? :oops: Lol my Cobra Mark III would have great big stratch marks in it and like no paint left on it if it were real! :lol: Well I'm sure you could have wheels on a ship, but in terms of the game they would probably only be for artisitc purposes there would be no real purpose for them. That's why someone should make that Fed-Ex Van, and then I can go around blowing them up... :twisted:

CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

SandJ wrote:
Pleb wrote:
Replace car with boxy van-ship for your OOPS deliveries. Keep the pimped wheels though. 8)

http://youtu.be/t_KXgFpguE0
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Staer9 wrote:
well, heres a basic example with no texture (apart from the AO map)
and it's exactly the right size to make it near immposible to dock :lol:
:D That looks great! Almost irresistably poppable too, i doubt i'd be able to fly past that without shooting at it to see what's inside like a giant Easter Egg
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Staer9 wrote:
well, here's a basic example with no texture (apart from the AO map)
That's brilliant. Please share that ASAP, just as it is, before you get the urge to start adding to it.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

These boxy ships would really have to stick to pootering around near the aegis of corporate states and democracies ... the main advantage for ships being slim and streamlined in Oolite is that thinner ships are harder to hit. But it would be a good thing to have different sorts of traffic in different kinds of systems.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Staer9 wrote:
well, here's a basic example with no texture (apart from the AO map)
That's really good, that would make an excellent ship once it's been textured. Can't wait till this is released!

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Staer9 wrote:
and it's exactly the right size to make it near immposible to dock :lol:
Sounds like a good excuse to post this pic of a box van that failed to dock successfully.. :twisted:

Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

How about this?

:-)
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Selezen wrote:
How about this?
50 tonnes of cargopods. So not too big. And personally I have no problem with cargopods being on the outside. Yep, I can imagine those on my Ooniverse working in the safer systems. :P

Edit: especially if it goes like the clappers (e.g. 0.375 LY) so it can run from witchpoint to station aegis. However, turning can be dead slow.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Selezen wrote:
How about this?

:-)
Could you have it so when you attack it the cargo pods spilt off into actual cargo pods? Bit like on the Lynx Bulk Carrier? BTW excellent design Selezen, makes me jealous I can't model!

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Nice one, Selezen :)
That is probably how it would be done 'for real'...no point having the pods inside, really.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.