Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Galaxy seeds and system properties

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Galaxy seeds and system properties

Post by Smivs »

Pleb wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Just wait till you get to Galaxy 666 :evil:
Whoa, Galaxy 666? Even though that is actually possible it would involve an insane amount of copying and pasting!
So you're saying it would be a Devil of a job! :P
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

I was thinking of doing a save game with the seed I found that gives you identical G1 to our current G1 (Lave etc) but the rest are completely different. (The G1 planet descriptions are different but that could be rectified with a planetinfo.plist)
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

PhantorGorth wrote:
I was thinking of doing a save game with the seed I found that gives you identical G1 to our current G1 (Lave etc) but the rest are completely different. (The G1 planet descriptions are different but that could be rectified with a planetinfo.plist)
That could be interesting, it has the same planet names but just different descriptions? Could this explain why different versions of Elite had different planet descriptions? I think the PC and BBC versions were different but I might be wrong, but I'm certain there was an option in either ElitePlus or Elite: TNK that had the option of switching between the two descriptions...
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Pleb wrote:
That could be interesting, it has the same planet names but just different descriptions? Could this explain why different versions of Elite had different planet descriptions? I think the PC and BBC versions were different but I might be wrong, but I'm certain there was an option in either ElitePlus or Elite: TNK that had the option of switching between the two descriptions...
Sorry no, the seed has always been the same. What has most likely changed between versions has been the random look ups / subsitution system used to calculate the descriptions.
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

PhantorGorth wrote:
Sorry no, the seed has always been the same. What has most likely changed between versions has been the random look ups / subsitution system used to calculate the descriptions.
Ah okay, so the seed you have is it like an alternate version of Galaxy 1 then? Or were you simply proposing to change all of the planet descriptions yourself? If so, good luck with that! :mrgreen:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Pleb wrote:
Ah okay, so the seed you have is it like an alternate version of Galaxy 1 then? Or were you simply proposing to change all of the planet descriptions yourself? If so, good luck with that! :mrgreen:
It wouldn't be hard. I recently made changes to my Oolite Galaxies Spreadsheet so that it would calculate all the planet descriptions. Building a planetinfo.plist file from the list of correct descriptions is not likely to be that difficult. Not when you know how to use Sed and Awk.

Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

PhantorGorth wrote:
It wouldn't be hard. I recently made changes to my Oolite Galaxies Spreadsheet so that it would calculate all the planet descriptions. Building a planetinfo.plist file from the list of correct descriptions is not likely to be that difficult. Not when you know how to use Sed and Awk.
Ah, you created the spreadsheet? I would love to be able to use this but when I tried to convert from an Open Document Spreadsheet (.ods) to an Excel Spreadsheet (.xls) all the cells where the information should have been said #NAME?# in them... Is this because I tried converting it to Excel?

SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Pleb wrote:
I would love to be able to use this but when I tried to convert from an Open Document Spreadsheet (.ods) to an Excel Spreadsheet (.xls) all the cells where the information should have been said #NAME?# in them... Is this because I tried converting it to Excel?
Asking for support on how to convert a spreadsheet from an open source product, into a MicroSoft product ... on an open source game forum? :lol: It's a good job this is a friendly forum. :D

(One solution is to install Openoffice.org or Libre Office. :D )
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

SandJ wrote:
Asking for support on how to convert a spreadsheet from an open source product, into a MicroSoft product ... on an open source game forum? :lol: It's a good job this is a friendly forum. :D

(One solution is to install Openoffice.org or Libre Office. :D )
Haha yeah I thought it was a bit cheeky :oops: but I only have Microcrap Office 2000 on my laptop at home. I will have to download OpenOffice when I get home as I really need that speadsheet! Never heard of Libre Office though, these open source applications just spring from nowhere lol! :twisted:

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Not exactly from nowhere, in this case.

When OpenOffice changed hands from Sun to Oracle, its development was essentially stalled (if not discontinued). Thus the open source crowd started their own branch, LibreOffice, which is presently a couple of revisions ahead of (now) Apache's product.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Commander McLane wrote:
Not exactly from nowhere, in this case.

When OpenOffice changed hands from Sun to Oracle, its development was essentially stalled (if not discontinued). Thus the open source crowd started their own branch, LibreOffice, which is presently a couple of revisions ahead of (now) Apache's product.
See this is why I know nothing about this, been using Microcrap Office 2000 since it came out and have never bothered to upgrade. I did have OpenOffice at one point when I reset my laptop back to factory settings and thought I'd lost my Office disk but it eventually turned up. Will have to check out one of them though as I really need to use PhantorGorth's spreadsheet to catalogue new galaxies quicker.

Was there not, maybe years ago, a way of dumping the galactic data/co-ordinates to the log, or something to that effect?

PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

The product went:

StarOffice -> OpenOffice.org -> LibreOffice

I can convert them but stuff like the chart stops working correctly.
Pleb wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Will have to check out one of them though as I really need to use PhantorGorth's spreadsheet to catalogue new galaxies quicker.
Yes it can do that easily, just change the seed value. The numbers in save games are in decimal and are listed as a b c d e f where as the seed in the spreadsheet is in hexadecimal and in the format BBAA DDCC FFEE where AA = Hex of a, BB = Hex of b, etc.

Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

What would be the best software to open the spreadsheet with then, StarOffice, OpenOffice or LibraOffice? I really want to take a look at this spreadsheet!!! :mrgreen:

SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Pleb wrote:
Was there not, maybe years ago, a way of dumping the galactic data/co-ordinates to the log, or something to that effect?
Yes, and I think it was that spreadsheet.
Pleb wrote:
What would be the best software to open the spreadsheet with then, StarOffice, OpenOffice or LibraOffice? I really want to take a look at this spreadsheet!!! :mrgreen:
If you don't already have OpenOffice.org, then LibreOffice.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

I did the last changes in LibreOffice so I suggest that one first.