Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Are there any Black Holes OXPs?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Are there any Black Holes OXPs?

Post by Tricky »

You lost me at "Happy Feet" on the keyboard. :lol:

On a different note, has anyone else had the urge to lob Quirium Cascade Mines into a black hole?
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Tricky wrote:
You lost me at "Happy Feet" on the keyboard. :lol:
Except it's one of the penguins from Madagascar :D
Tricky wrote:
On a different note, has anyone else had the urge to lob Quirium Cascade Mines into a black hole?
With a real one it wouldn't do anything just disappear. An Oolite black hole, as it would only be a special "ship", could explode. Not what you really would want. :-)
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Just thinking of all that Quirium fuel that has been sucked in...
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

PhantorGorth wrote:
Just to be a tad pedantic: From a distance black holes do not pull anything in any more than a star or planet of the same mass would. The event horizon is at one Schwarzchild radius from the centre and is dependent on the mass. Due to the distortion of space, within 3 Schwarzchild radii no orbit is stable. I would therefore suggest you only apply a thrust to a ship that gets within 3 radii of the object. Outside of that distance don't do anything as Oolite doesn't apply any thrusts because of the gravity of the system's sun or planets.
Hehe good points, but I think we have to put Mr Einstein to one side to explore this . . . ;)
Regarding my earlier comment, I was partially inspired by John Michell's Dark Star concept of a Newtonian Black hole http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_star_ ... chanics%29. I wondered, what is the equivalent effect in Aristotelian space? I could only conceive of an inward velocity field which increases in strength as one gets nearer to the hole, which at some point will overwhelm the fastest of ships? We clearly can't be talking about anything as sophisticated as orbits here (we don't have any), and I'm not sure about the wormhole thing either (did someone say Raxxla?), more a navigation hazard I suppose. I think it would have to be a "naked singularity" (in other words, invisible) as the concept of horizons is unique to General Relativity too AIUI.
Could it be used in combat to trap the unwary, or for some other devious purpose, would it be located in interstellar space? Dunno, tailing off now . . .
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

m4r35n357 wrote:
would it be located in interstellar space?
"Ship's Manual, Appendix 73 - Alleged Black Holes.
What to do if your hyperspace / galactic hyperspace witch jump has been interrupted by being mass-locked.

Commander, a massive gravity well is in the vicinity. You can either accelerate away, and jump again, or investigate. Get too close and you will be pulled in and never come out."
Looking around in space you can see something twinkly like the Orbital Graveyard in the distance.

It comprises cargopods and splinters slowly rotating around what seems to be a black spot. Once in this ring of stuff, your ship is pulled toward the centre with a force that increases as you get nearer. Get any nearer than the nearest cargopods and you join them. Dead. In bits. End of. Thankfully, the "altitude" sensor actually works in this environment (it is gravity-based after all so that it works with planets and suns yet ignores space stations and asteroids).

So you can scoop some stuff, if you're careful, and clear off with the goodies.

But hang around for too long and the damn Thargoids start turning up (it is interstellar space, after all).

That would be as close to Einsteinian physics as the rest of the Ooniverse is to Newtonian physics.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Have a look at Thargoids Void Bomb as that is a small black hole!
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!

Post by Geraldine »

I am certainly going to try out the Thargoid's void bomb just to see what it is like 8)
Geraldine
Elite IV Is Released. Now Keeping The Faith in Oolite, Pioneer & FFE3D :D
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Thargoid in page 1 of this thread wrote:
If you want a taste of it, look in Armoury OXP at the void bomb.
Fatleaf wrote:
Thank you, my leafy echo ;) I'm obviously the wrong shade of green to be heard... :)
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Thargoid wrote:
Thargoid in page 1 of this thread wrote:
If you want a taste of it, look in Armoury OXP at the void bomb.
Fatleaf wrote:
Thank you, my leafy echo ;) I'm obviously the wrong shade of green to be heard... :)
I have noticed that about the human colonials around here, they seem to need reminding from time to time. Must all be from low tech system :roll:
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!

Post by Geraldine »

Thargoid wrote:
I'm obviously the wrong shade of green to be heard... :)
Yes you need a brighter shade! :lol:

Hey Thargoid, this is a great bit of work you did (now I have had a chance to test it out). Since you have already created a black hole weapon in the game, what do you think of the idea of a bigger permanent one?
Geraldine
Elite IV Is Released. Now Keeping The Faith in Oolite, Pioneer & FFE3D :D
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Geraldine wrote:
Hey Thargoid, this is a great bit of work you did (now I have had a chance to test it out). Since you have already created a black hole weapon in the game, what do you think of the idea of a bigger permanent one?
I'm not Thargoid (obviously), but I think that would be great!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The problem would be getting an entity that looks right. It would need to be big, but not a planet or moon as those cannot have scripting attached to them nor can they have entities within them (so you couldn't have a small attractive entity at the centre of one for example). So therein lies the issue, an entity that looks OK from all angles and can have the script attached to it.

Fundamentally the script used in the void bomb can equally well be applied to a black hole (with a bit of scaling up) aside from those issues though.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

m4r35n357 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:51 am
mmm, Aristotelian Black Holes! ;)
Aristotelian?

Just to add these for future reference to the notes about Void bombs etc above (in case somebody wishes to write an OXP):
Ragged wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:45 am
Can we have a way to set an absolute colour of the sun, please, without the 50% white admixture.

Mainly because a black sun with a red corona will make a passable black hole.
Although note Thargoid's comment above on the unscriptability of suns.

Tractor Beams: see https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Tractor_Beam

https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Guide ... ience_OXPs - see "Other astronomical features!"
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?