Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Seeking expressions of interest

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Seeking expressions of interest

Post by Diziet Sma »

Ok.. thanks! 8)

Gahh.. now I have to think about Oolite scales.. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Gahh.. now I have to think about Oolite scales
With regard to ship sizes I would forget what you imagine the ship's actual size to be and base the ship scales relative to other craft already in Oolite (As you are probably aware Oolite scales are a little odd!!).

My suggestion would be to look at the Ship size chart on the Wiki and for example decide how long compared to say a python at 130m long you want it. We can work out a size from there. :)

With regard to the model was this more like what you were thinking of ?
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Shipbuilder wrote:
Gahh.. now I have to think about Oolite scales
With regard to ship sizes I would forget what you imagine the ship's actual size to be and base the ship scales relative to other craft already in Oolite (As you are probably aware Oolite scales are a little odd!!).
Boy am I ever aware of it.. I was here for this thread 3 years ago.. :shock:
Shipbuilder wrote:
My suggestion would be to look at the Ship size chart on the Wiki and for example decide how long compared to say a python at 130m long you want it. We can work out a size from there. :)
Yeah.. my problem at the moment is deciding how big (in comparison) a blockade runner ought to be..
Shipbuilder wrote:
With regard to the model was this more like what you were thinking of ?
Yep.. I'm quite happy with that, now I've had time to consider it.

Out of curiosity, what's that thing in front of the centre fin?
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Diziet Sma wrote:
From what he's said, I suspect Smivs might be up for the texturing challenge.
Yup. If you make it I'll slap some paint on. :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Smivs wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
From what he's said, I suspect Smivs might be up for the texturing challenge.
Yup. If you make it I'll slap some paint on. :D
One request.. no scales.. there's been a lot of them lately. :lol:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Shipbuilder wrote:
Ok, having looked at the chart and had a think about it, 150m tip to tail. That should result in a body of about 130m.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I now have a use for a fourth ship type. This one's not from the same civilisation. These guys are slave-traders. Nasty types, evil looking ship preferred. I'd imagine 40-50 TC capacity.

Any takers?
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

This can be whatever you want but I as thinking possibly the bridge (Its your ship though so its up to you :D ). One possibe suggestion for the name could be swift !

Smivs - What size texture file do you want ? 1024x1024, 2048x2048 etc.

I'll get the model rescaled and then create the .dat files, textures etc ready and send sometime today.
Last edited by Shipbuilder on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

@ Dizzie - agreed, no scales :)
@ Shipbuilder - 2048x2048px will be fine, thanks. If the files are not too big you can email them as attachments to [email protected]
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Shipbuilder wrote:
This can be whatever you want but I as thinking possibly the bridge (Its your ship though so its up to you :D )
Bridge sounds good.. but I'll leave that up to the artist with the spray-cans.. since he'll be the first to see how it looks.

Many thanks, Shipbuilder! I owe you some beers.
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Diziet - I have sent you a PM with a link to download the files for the concept ship (I have also E-Mailed Smivs with the texture file for his use). :D

The ship size is as follows:- W64m H18.5m L150m.

I may be able to look at the slave ship later today, (this was someting that I have had in the back of my mind for a while). I know you are looking for an evil looking ship so I was thinking of a much more industrial, dirty and functional appearance. Could you give me some more idea on what you have in mind?

For example: -

1) Do you want the ship to be a converted freighter type or something more compact?
2) Would you like it to have visible weaponry?
3) If you have any other specific thoughts let us know.
Last edited by Shipbuilder on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Diziet, I kept the curves but rescaled on the X and Z axis to elongate the wings. I did not really care for the other look either. Also made a few other minor edits to the model. If you wish to work with this but scaled to the size of a Cobra 3 let me know. Then I can unfold and send off to Smivs. Noted the texture size you prefer.

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

That does look a bit tidier, CaptSolo.. yes, I like it. and Cobra 3 size would be great..

Many thanks, mate! I owe you some beers too! 8)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Shipbuilder wrote:
Diziet - I have sent you a PM with a link to download the files for the concept ship (I have also E-Mailed Smivs with the texture file for his use). :D

The ship size is as follows:- W64m H18.5m L150m.

I may be able to look at the slave ship later today, (this was someting that I have had in the back of my mind for a while, if there are no takers. I know you are looking for an evil looking ship so I was thinking of a much more industrial, dirty and functional appearance. Could you give me some more idea on what you have in mind?

For example: -

1) Do you want the ship to be a converted freighter type or something more compact?
2) Would you like it to have visible weaponry?
3) If you have any other specific thoughts let us know.
All contents received in good condition, thanks!

I like your ideas for the new ship, as described above. Some kind of converted freighter sounds good.. visible weaponry sounds good. Nothing else I can particularly think of.. let your imagination run wild.. :mrgreen:
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

OK I'll play about with some ideas for the slave ship later today and will post some screenshots once I have something presentable.

If you can give some thought to the length of the ship and let me know that would be great (No rush though as I can model then rescale to the correct size before issuing).

I'll try to combine an aggressive, ugly and utilitarian look with some projecting elements in order to differentiate it and give it a different feel.